• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who has/hasn't reached their peak?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
I wouldn't have 2nd thoughts about Ian Bibby Im the only honest 1 in that thread its everyone else who are playing mindgames.

I have not been either, everything I have said about a rider for next year has been what I really believed at that time. I have changed my mind about 1 rider though. I just jokingly suggested misleading others.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
But to answer your question, it won't be easy, but Alberto likes a challenge. It motivates him. If he can put 20 seconds into Evans at the first MTF and a minute in Peyragudes, that should be enough, providing no unnecessary time loss in the flat stages. Wiggins should lose more than Evans on those climbs and always fades during a GT. I don't think he can beat Contador OR Evans. There may be other contenders, however.

La Toussuire - only if Contador and Andy drop the others on the Glandon / Croix de Fer. Otherwise I can't see Alberto destroying anyone on that MTF. So, it depends.

Now only if he was allowed to race. ;)

Well, all of them like challenges, other way they couldn't become someone who they are. 1 min in Peyragudes is too much, possible theoretically with Andy as a leadout man certainly if it won't Evans' bad day. It's necessary to attack right in the first metres of the ascent to put in so much time. Contador and Andy (in case hell claim to victory by then) can still set fire on Bales though.
With regards to Wiggins, I agree. He needs 2 WC TT to win whereas no way hell be able to do a remarkable second one on stage 20 :) :rolleyes: In spite of stage 5, La Toussuire is very likely to be kind of the mountain reconnaissance.

airstream said:
Well, all of them like challenges, other way they couldn't become someone who they are. 1 min in Peyragudes is too much, possible theoretically with Andy as a leadout man certainly if it won't Evans' bad day. It's necessary to attack right in the first metres of the ascent to put in so much time. Contador and Andy (in case hell claim to victory by then) can still set fire on Bales though.

Yes. They would have to drop Evans and others on the Peyresourde (or before ;)) but that is doable as evidenced by the stage to Loudenvielle in 2007. I expect substantial diffferences in that stage because it will have to be raced HARD as the 2012 route is soft. There is no other option but to destroy the better time trialists in that stage.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Yes. They would have to drop Evans and others on the Peyresourde (or before ;)) but that is doable as evidenced by the stage to Loudenvielle in 2007. I expect substantial diffferences in that stage because it will have to be raced HARD as the 2012 route is soft. There is no other option but to destroy the better time trialists in that stage.

True. I guess, that catch-up on Peyresourde was an apotheosis of different era. :rolleyes: It was a literate flying on the climb. I hope so. Though don't think that lack of hard mountains stages will give them extra strength to attack a lot compared to this year.

airstream said:
True. I guess, that catch-up on Peyresourde was an apotheosis of different era. :rolleyes: It was a literate flying on the climb. I hope so. Though don't think that lack of hard mountains stages will give them extra strength to attack a lot compared to this year.

I don't think Andy will wait for his brother next year. Bruyneel doesn't have faith in Frank and won't have it. It's not just about strength, IMO

Also, I don't believe the GC contenders are more or less at the same level climbing-wise. Not too much different from 2007 in that regard. What I do believe is that Cadel, Andy and Alberto have peaked already.