• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who has the best chance of making the Podium?

Who has the best shot of knocking one of the big 3 off the podium?

• Bardet

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Porte

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Pinot

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • NIbali

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Landa

• Aru

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Rolland

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Purito

• TJVG

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Other (say below)

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, Nairo, Froome, and AC are the favorites but I have a feeling at least one will miss the podium. There are a bunch of guys I think could make top 3 if things go their way, even more than I could include in this poll.

You guys predicting a Big 3 podium or do you think someone else will find their way in?

I voted for Porte. I prefer to put his previous failures in Grand Tours down to a combination of bad luck and riding for others, rather than because he can't cope with three week races.I thought he looked super strong in the Dauphine, particularly since (as I understand) he hadn't been training at altitude beforehand but has been in the last couple of weeks.

I'd say Nibali has a chance tbh if he rides for himself.
If we're saying none of the top 3 will crash and all of them will perform as expected, then Porte is the only one who stands a chance of sneaking onto the podium. But crashes, illness etc happens, and so I voted for Aru

I went for Aru.

I can see porte doing it but it's less likely.

TeJay, Pinot, Bardet etc just haven't got the capacity considering the field of riders here. Assuming 2 don't drop out through crashes or illness

Alot of Journalist's and pundits are completely ignoring Rolland.

They speak of the 3 french riders Pinot, Bardet and Barguil.

But for my money, Rolland has a better chance of a top 5 and top 10 than Barguil.
He's a better climber imo, better decender and similar in TTs. Also he has a full team behind him in Canondale.
Barguil is ultimately more talented for the future but I think for this tour Rolland has been unfairly missed out.

He has a had a better season to date than before riding better than ever in the dauphine!
Also he had never been to an altitude camp before this year so that is bound to help!

Porte with the early lead. That should last a week. Really though, isn't it common knowledge that Aru is the dark horse for this year's Tour? Four GT's in two years with three podiums, one of those a victory. And five stage wins as well in those tours.

This poll confirms that Porte is at the same time over- and underrated. To some he's bound to lose twenty minutes on his traditional bad day, others put him above riders who have already made GT podiums or even won them.

I voted Aru, although I don't believe Nibali is going to work for him.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I didn't vote for Porte because I think he will have his traditional bad day.

But, IF he doesn't have it, then there's a very real chance he can topple one or more of the Big Three.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
On true talent, Pinot, Aru and Porte.

Bardet if he attacks from afar and steal some minutes.

All the others i don't believe in. Purito is too old for Tdf podium.

I voted for other, because I think Dan Martin has an outside chance of third. Will be interesting to see how much he has improved since going to Etixx - particularly regarding TTing.

Of those listed, I think it will be Pinot, Aru, Nibali and then TJ (in that order) - not convinced that any of the others can last the distance without having at least one spectacularly bad day.

TRENDING THREADS