• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is America's best GT shot?

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to ask some of the more knowledgeable people on here about a question some cycling buddies and myself were talking about on a ride. With The Shack having all the old GT riders (lance, Levi, Horner) and others like VandeVelde, Hincapie all at the twilight of there career, who will be America's next GT riders. There is Dave Zabriske who always gets mentioned as having the "Talent" but apparently never enough drive to be up there. He's only 28 or 29 i think. TeJay Vangarderen seems a legit shot. Taylor Phinney is a classics rider/TT guy (in my opinion). Who else is there and what do you "smarter than me" people think?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Horner, Vandevelde or Leipheimer. Later: Teejay Van Garderen?

Maybe one of the youngsters on Vaughters' team. Peter Stetina?

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned this in another post and I agree with Hugh, I just don't think we'll have one any time soon really. The only hope we once had for someone to fill that spot now was Danielson and well, no comment needed. I just don't think a sprinter will grab American attention, even if Farrar could beat Cavendish and get a green. We need a GC rider to keep overall interest up but we may be headed for dark ages.

I'm sure many on here won't mind that but what that'll mean is less support, less tv coverage, less sponsor money, less US races like TdG and Missouri, Cali could be next, less everything. We'll be stuck reading play by play here or paying to watch online for most races except maybe the TdF and that could go back to weekly coverage. If American money leaves cycling overall won't die, but it will be a global loss. '09 American viewership was up 77% over '08 supposedly just because Lance came back, and all of the old US guys were there in 08. When Hincapie, Levi, Horner, etc leave it will be slim pickins here for coverage.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I think the obvious next generation guy that pops to mind is Teejay Van Garderen, and his progress this year has done nothing to dampen the excitement about his possibilities. He may be a good one in a few years. I am not really sold on Stetina...I am not sure why, but I just don't think he is going to make it as a GC guy.

A little farther out, I think a guy like Ben King will do very very well!! This is a tall slim kid who can climb and time trial very well! He has been progressing nicely over the past years and this year has made some very nice gains.

I do agree, we are in for a little drought...but hopefully some of these young men will realize their potential and keep us entertained for many years.

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling that either- Garmin or HTC will find someone to keep the excitement here in the US. Although Ryder (I know he is Canadian) has been showing promise for the last 2 years he has come out of relative obscurity..... this could bode well for Taylor Phinney, perhaps? Not sure Tyler has what it takes to consistently beat MC.... Stetnia looks promising as well.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Going off the radar a little, Phil Gaimon is a rider with a lot of potential. His results in the Mt. Washington Hill Climb (though a non-sanctioned event) show that he can climb. His TT results are pretty good, too.

He's young (24), smart, dedicated, and talented. I am pretty sure he is dope-free. With some more experience and superior coaching, he might make a splash.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
1st San Dimas Stage Race, Stage 2 2009
1st Young Rider Competition, Univest Grand Prix 2007
1st Mt. Washington Auto Road Hillclimb 2008, 2009
1st General Classification, Georgia Cup Dahlonega
2nd Overall, San Dimas Stage Race 2009
7th Univest Grand Prix (UCI America Tour ME 1.2)
12th General Classification, Tri Peaks Challenge (NRC 2.3)
Course Record – Northampton, Massachusetts 9 Mile Individual Time Trial

Living in the present, there does not seem to be much hope for the USA in the grand tours for a little while. The old guard is good for some top 10 and plenty of top 20 placings, and contention for stages (Farrar, Dave Z, etc.) but the final podium seems out of reach.

With Lemond and Armstrong winning 50% of the TdF's over a period of two decades, we have become a little accustomed to seeing an American on the top step. Add to those wins podium finishes by other Americans and we were definately spoiled.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TRDean said:
I think the obvious next generation guy that pops to mind is Teejay Van Garderen, and his progress this year has done nothing to dampen the excitement about his possibilities. He may be a good one in a few years. I am not really sold on Stetina...I am not sure why, but I just don't think he is going to make it as a GC guy.

A little farther out, I think a guy like Ben King will do very very well!! This is a tall slim kid who can climb and time trial very well! He has been progressing nicely over the past years and this year has made some very nice gains.

I do agree, we are in for a little drought...but hopefully some of these young men will realize their potential and keep us entertained for many years.

ben king?? that guy is 21 and got his *** kicked by every rider at the pan american championships...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
ben king?? that guy is 21 and got his *** kicked by every rider at the pan american championships...

Check the results...won the U23 time trial...and was with the leaders in the break in the road race and flatted close to the finish...

I really don't care what you think...so bug off...

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Check the results...won the U23 time trial...and was with the leaders in the break in the road race and flatted close to the finish...

I completely agree on your Ben King prediction.

He's still young - 21. He's mentally mature. Built well for a GC rider. Improving incrementally. Is on a good team to launch a pro career. And has capacity in the areas that matter, TT + climbing.

He's obviously not as easy a prediction as TJ or Pete Stetina. But this is a really savvy call. Give King 4 yrs and come back to this forum and see what people are saying about him then.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Teejay van Garderen by far at the moment.

As far as the Phinney hype goes, he is no GT rider.

Yeah, can't see a guy Phinney's size making it in the big mountains. He should be a heck of a classics/time trial rider though. Winning U23 Paris Roubaix twice.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
If the Armstrong/USPS thing explodes as expected, cycling's reputation in the US is probably going to nosedive. The GT drought could last a very long time.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TRDean said:

I really don't care what you think...so bug off...

1 Ivan Mauricio CASAS COL COL 30 50:34.06 20 20
2 Carlos OYARZUN CHI CHI 29 +22.18 14 14
3 Freddy MONTANA COL COL 28 +1:32.7 8 8
4 Matias MEDICI ARG ARG 35 +1:33.41 7 7
5 Arnold ALCOLEA CUB CUB 28 +2:33.13 6 6
6 José Adrian BONILLA CRC CRC 32 +2:40.6 5 5
7 Ignacio SARABIA DIAZ MEX MEX 27 +3:47.71 4 4
8 Henry MENDEZ RAABE CRC CRC 27 +4:07.46 2 2
9 Benjamin KING USA USA 21 +4:40.35
10 Ramiro CABRERA GONZALEZ URU URU 22 +4:45.11 ]

that isn't winning in my book getting relegated to nearly 5 minutes by casas in 40 km

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Van Garderen by a country mile....The guy has so much potential....As soon as HTC decide that they can have the fastest sprinter and a genuine GC contender on the same team, he stands a very good shot. Watch him go at the Vuelta.

If Van DV can stay on his bike for long enough next year....he might well be close to the podium again....but can he match Schleck or Contador when the road really starts to go up?

Horner?....He crept into the top ten this year because he was allowed to get away in the stage 16 break due to his time deficit...

And i agree with the post about hoping the USA don't go through a dark age....even though i am in the UK and our dark age has been considerable longer....and will I am afraid remain so....I am certainly not going to support the english speaking GC "contender" with the squeaky voice.

I forgot Leipheimer....but honestly....he is pretty forgettable....nothing against him....

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I think we are in for a period of drought.

Yes. Although on the bright side; a 100+lb 14 year old rides here that can hang with the 1,2's at Seward Park (in junior gears). Seward is a weekly series and the course 1/2 mile course gains 100'/lap over 40-50 laps, depending on daylight. He can ride long miles and he has speed. There are probably a dozen more out there that could be great if they don't burn out, discover girls/cars(both) or give it up for the next big thing.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
If the Armstrong/USPS thing explodes as expected, cycling's reputation in the US is probably going to nosedive. The GT drought could last a very long time.

Not too sure about that. It's not like there's anyone who realistically has a shot that is connected to USPS. The young guys already in cycling aren't going to stop because of it... it would only effect those who might not get into cycling... which wouldn't be Tour contenders for 15-20 years anyway I think.

As to who might win a GT from the US... if not Tejay then it's hard to see a possibility at the moment.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:

Last I checked baseball is still going strong, so is track and field, football, auto racing mechanical doping is very common), and a number of other sports that have had the same problems. Your average viewer does not care that much and a significant portion support their rider doing whatever he needs to win.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
oh and Phinney....America's answer to Spartacus....I think he will win a lot in his life....a hell of a lot...in one dayers and TTs...but if he ever even equals Wiggin's at the tour...I will suck his CXXK

TRENDING THREADS