• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is the patron of the peloton?

Who is the current patron of the peloton?

• Nobody

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Of course it's not him. The patron, as Hinault showed, was someone who, quite literally, when he ordered, the entire peloton obeyed, no questions asked.

There is no such personality right now and hasn't been for years.

A

Anonymous

Alberto is satisfied being the Tour de France leader for his own team. I can't imagine him wanting to tell the peloton what to do.

Unfortunately, Armstrong combined with Bruyneel still wield that kind of power at some level, like the race radio experiment that wasn't, or the Milan stage of the Giro.

theswordsman said:
Unfortunately, Armstrong combined with Bruyneel still wield that kind of power at some level, like the race radio experiment that wasn't, or the Milan stage of the Giro.
Good points. I voted "Nobody", but perhaps Armstrong still is it, are at least was it in 2009.

Is he patron at the TDU?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Good points. I voted "Nobody", but perhaps Armstrong still is it, are at least was it in 2009.

Is he patron at the TDU?

He doesn't appear to be, at least what I have seen from the race.

craig1985 said:
He doesn't appear to be, at least what I have seen from the race.

I'm not sure if he really wants or needs to be for the TDU - he's getting enough attention just by turning up. If you need an example just look at Kev Rudd again!

To be honest I wouldn't say that there are any personalities strong enough to be called patron atm now that Armstrong has been shown that he is mortal after all.

Maybe Cavendish might like to think he is to some extent? Look at his spray at Ricco and his feud with Hushovd.

Could you imagine if Contador actually had the personality of a Bernard Hinault? What a terror he would be, I certainly would respect the guy a lot more than I do now. The whole pistol shootin' cheese boy thing has got to stop. Maybe he'll grow a pair soon and start acting more like the badass his abilities seem to suggest. I wish he'd do it before the start of this years Tour.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
I can't accept that Armstrong ever was a patron--he's too much of an outsider. He doesn't do classics, doesn't do the Worlds, doesn't do track or cyclocross. He just extends his private training camp to a handful of small races, bosses the tour, and then hits the celebrity circuit for Livestrong. He's a Texan, not a patron.

The true patrons--Coppi, Van Looy, Raas, Hinault--pushed their influence over a full road season and then often on the track.

Even if Contador keeps growning, he will be more in a class with guys like Anquetil, Merckx, Indurain, etc.--the perennial prodigies, riders who were respected and feared more for their legs than the force of their personalities.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Depends on the race.

In the spring classics: Boonen & Cancellara
Don't know about ardennes/gold race.

Tour de france? I believe armstrong was a patron in his previous career, but is he still?

Voted 'nobody'

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Are you for real?

42x16ss said:
I'm not sure if he really wants or needs to be for the TDU - he's getting enough attention just by turning up. If you need an example just look at Kev Rudd again!

To be honest I wouldn't say that there are any personalities strong enough to be called patron atm now that Armstrong has been shown that he is mortal after all.

Maybe Cavendish might like to think he is to some extent? Look at his spray at Ricco and his feud with Hushovd.

I cannot believe Stapleton and Cavendish think of "Lance passing the torch from the best of his generation to the best of the next" Dreamers!!

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
"Despite having won the last four grand tours he's entered - a Giro, a Vuelta, and two Tours de France - and his universal acclaim as the best stage racer in cycling, Alberto Contador isn't ready to call himself the patron of the peloton. Tellingly, however, he isn't willing to bestow that title on anyone else, either. "There are many riders in the peloton who have to be respected," Contador said at the Astana training camp in Calpe, Spain, last week."

I guess that nobody is the correct answer

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
King Of Molehill said:
Could you imagine if Contador actually had the personality of a Bernard Hinault? What a terror he would be, I certainly would respect the guy a lot more than I do now. The whole pistol shootin' cheese boy thing has got to stop. Maybe he'll grow a pair soon and start acting more like the badass his abilities seem to suggest. I wish he'd do it before the start of this years Tour.

so in other words you want him to be an ***, wow I've never heard that before.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I think someone like Jens Voight could be considered patron of the peleton. He would have the respect of a lot of the riders and officials.

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
scigars said:
"Despite having won the last four grand tours he's entered - a Giro, a Vuelta, and two Tours de France - and his universal acclaim as the best stage racer in cycling, Alberto Contador isn't ready to call himself the patron of the peloton. Tellingly, however, he isn't willing to bestow that title on anyone else, either. "There are many riders in the peloton who have to be respected," Contador said at the Astana training camp in Calpe, Spain, last week."

I guess that nobody is the correct answer

I hardly think he was going to say Armstrong no matter what, given them not exactly being BFF (at least publicly).

ustabe said:
Even if Contador keeps growning, he will be more in a class with guys like Anquetil, Merckx, Indurain, etc.--the perennial prodigies, riders who were respected and feared more for their legs than the force of their personalities.

Sorry but Merckx was feared for his personality. He never compromised, refused bribes, refused to let domestics or other riders win second-tier races etc. If that's not being a "patron", explain to me what it is.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Good insight from a rider who has been around the block:

arrietta said:
Of today’s riders, Arrieta says the younger generation just doesn’t have the same star power as the big riders in the past.

“Miguel (Indurain) was above all, in terms of charisma, and that’s why he’s still respected today,” he says. “That’s what’s changed the most for me. If we’re losing a lot as cyclists it’s because the leaders today aren’t like they used to be. Today the leaders don’t carry the same weight....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/02/news/arrieta-todays-leaders-dont-have-same-charisma_104815

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
Of today’s riders, Arrieta says the younger generation just doesn’t have the same star power as the big riders in the past.

“Miguel (Indurain) was above all, in terms of charisma, and that’s why he’s still respected today,” he says. “That’s what’s changed the most for me. If we’re losing a lot as cyclists it’s because the leaders today aren’t like they used to be. Today the leaders don’t carry the same weight, the same charisma, and in this sport, everyone else is calling the shots and least of all the cyclists.

I think the full quote is more relevant

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
progressor said:
I think the full quote is more relevant
"the same charisma, and in this sport, everyone else is calling the shots and least of all the cyclists.”

Good point.
Big Mig was the Last Patron who raced without a radio in his ear.
Maybe it was "easier" to exert charisma in an "electronically quiet" peloton?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
ustabe said:
The true patrons--Coppi, Van Looy, Raas, Hinault--pushed their influence over a full road season and then often on the track.

Well put. I chose 'nobody'. I don't think a unilingual team leader can be a true patron of such a multilingual peloton. Dominating a GT and riding for mileage in a handful of other races per season doesn't make you a patron like in days gone by. No doubt Armstrong is an influential and even intimidating presence to some, but would we have seen a true patron ridiculed as a "neo-pro" in the 2009 ATOC? He might be the patron of Twitter though.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Voted Lance (Zomegan seems to think so at least) but many have influence. Valverde seems to do so and McEwen is at least Lord of the Gruppetto.

TRENDING THREADS