• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is your Men's Rider of the Decade?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is the Men's Rider of the Decade

• Fabian Cancellara

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Mark Cavendish

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alberto Contador

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Philippe Gilbert

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Marcel Kittel

• Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 48 32.4%
  • Greg Van Avermaet

• Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 12 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you think that whatever formula PCS applies to race results to allocate points, the answer is Sagan, but the order of the rest of the top ten might surprise you:

Without looking at any numbers, I'd guess Samu Sanchez is pretty certain to be one of them and Mollema maybe another. The last one could be anyone between Pinot, Demare, Cavendish, Boasson Hagen and maybe even Matthews or Dumoulin. They've all had at least a couple of low-scoring seasons to make 1k average per year a bit difficult. I'm probably forgetting some obvious ones, too.

Since we're posting classifications, here's the one from the website I work for :grinning:

1. Peter Sagan, 100
  2. Chris Froome, 86
  3. Alejandro Valverde, 77
  4. Vincenzo Nibali, 74
  5. Joaquim Rodriguez, 66
  6. Philippe Gilbert, 62
  7. Greg Van Avermaet, 55
  8. Nairo Quintana, 53
  9. Mark Cavendish, 51
  10. Fabian Cancellara, 50

Well you either get it or you think TdF wins are worth more. Some people value the top one-day races as much as a Tour win.
But that's just not how it works. Whether you Like it or not, the Champions League is worth more than the club world cup, Wimbledon is worth more than Indian Wells and the tour de france is worth more than a monument.

Almost everyone would agree on this and just because some cycling snobs on a forum (and let's be real, that's what we are) dislike the tour that doesn't change. If you try to completely ignore public opinions, fine you are allowed to do so, but there is no point in trying to publicly discuss greatness when you're meassuring it in a completely subjektive way.

But that's just not how it works. Whether you Like it or not, the Champions League is worth more than the club world cup, Wimbledon is worth more than Indian Wells and the tour de france is worth more than a monument.

Almost everyone would agree on this and just because some cycling snobs on a forum (and let's be real, that's what we are) dislike the tour that doesn't change. If you try to completely ignore public opinions, fine you are allowed to do so, but there is no point in trying to publicly discuss greatness when you're meassuring it in a completely subjektive way.

What is the objective way of measuring "greatness?"

What does public opinion have to do with it? Does majority rule--here expressed, I suppose, by things like television viewership and endorsement deals--always trump expertise, intimate knowledge, and educated observations?

Is applying a wider historical context somehow less "objective" than not doing so?

Finally, why can't people of good will have differing opinions about the relative "greatness" of different bicycle races without name calling, accusations of trolling, and other expressions of heightened emotion?

What is the objective way of measuring "greatness?"

What does public opinion have to do with it? Does majority rule--here expressed, I suppose, by things like television viewership and endorsement deals--always trump expertise, intimate knowledge, and educated observations?

Is applying a wider historical context somehow less "objective" than not doing so?

Finally, why can't people of good will have differing opinions about the relative "greatness" of different bicycle races without name calling, accusations of trolling, and other expressions of heightened emotion?
You want to argue whether Paris Roubaix or the Worlds is the bigger race? Fair, people can have different opinions on that question and both would be valid. But the gap between tour and really any other cycling race is just too big to seriously discuss it imo.
To get back to my previous post, do you think it's reasonable to argue that the FIFA club world cup has a higher prestige than the champions league. I could give you arguments why it should, but really it wouldn't matter becuase it's simply doesn't.

You want to argue whether Paris Roubaix or the Worlds is the bigger race? Fair, people can have different opinions on that question and both would be valid. But the gap between tour and really any other cycling race is just too big to seriously discuss it imo.
To get back to my previous post, do you think it's reasonable to argue that the FIFA club world cup has a higher prestige than the champions league. I could give you arguments why it should, but really it wouldn't matter becuase it's simply doesn't.
I don't believe anyone has said anything about one race being "bigger" than another. That's a completely different question. If we're talking about a simple popularity contest--well, I don't find that particularly interesting or productive.

I don't know anything about football, so I can't speak to your analogy.

Oops, already posted. Nevermind.

Total PCS points between 2010-2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: christopherrowe
I don't believe anyone has said anything about one race being "bigger" than another. That's a completely different question. If we're talking about a simple popularity contest--well, I don't find that particularly interesting or productive.

I don't know anything about football, so I can't speak to your analogy.
But do you really think it's reasonable to value wins in smaller races higher than wins in the biggest one?

Total PCS points between 2010-2019.

I think this is a very good argument for why these sort of lists are completely meaningless

But then if not size what makes a race prestigious in the first place?
Setting aside the differences between "greatness," which I thought was the matter at hand, and "prestige," I'll try to answer as if you'd asked about both.

History, both recent and otherwise.
Drama.
Panache and flair.
Road and weather conditions.
Unpredictability (this, along with History, is probably the "biggest" reason).
Percentage of riders at the start who are racing for the win.
Generation of anecdotes, photographs, and other cultural artifacts that speak to all of the above.
Passion.

If point allocation algorithms are a legitimate way of discerning the rider of the decade, then First Cycling, with its reluctance to deduct points when a rider is retrospectively banned, gives a slightly different perspective, with Valverde and Contador benefitting.

1​
Valverde Alejandro
26332​
2​
Sagan Peter
23487​
3​
Nibali Vincenzo
20271​
4​
Froome Chris
18753​
5​
Contador
18114​
6​
Van Avermaet Greg
18094​
7​
Kristoff Alexander
17733​
8​
Gilbert Philippe
16091​
9​
Rodríguez Joaquim
15901​
10​
Quintana Nairo
15701​

Koronin might have a new favourite website.

Reactions: Koronin