• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is your Men's Rider of the Decade?

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is the Men's Rider of the Decade

• Fabian Cancellara

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Mark Cavendish

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alberto Contador

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Philippe Gilbert

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Marcel Kittel

• Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 48 32.4%
  • Greg Van Avermaet

• Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 12 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A thing I didn't consider much but has to be said in this discussion:

After Milano-Sanremo in 2010, Fabian Cancellara took part in 13 and finished 12 monuments in the rest of the first half of the decade.

He ended on the podium in Every Single One of them.

That's pretty tough to do better.
If we take into consideration WC RR (and I don't see why not), Valverde also has a nice streak from Valkenburg 2012 until Lombardia 2015. Not quite like Cancellara, but still:

If we take into consideration WC RR (and I don't see why not), Valverde also has a nice streak from Valkenburg 2012 until Lombardia 2015. Not quite like Cancellara, but still:

The difference being the win rate. 45% for Cancellara, 9% Valverde. Which is the difference between them. Cancellara will race for the win, Valverde will wait to sprint for the best position available.

The difference being the win rate. 45% for Cancellara, 9% Valverde. Which is the difference between them. Cancellara will race for the win, Valverde will wait to sprint for the best position available.
I've been there, done this, for a thousand times, guy won 130 races, a lot more than Cancellara, Nibali, and other so called winners, who always goes for the win, blah, blah...
You would think that a man who always goes for the win should have more victories than a man who goes for the best possible position, yet we have here a total opposite situation. Weird, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Koronin
I've been there, done this, for a thousand times, guy won 130 races, a lot more than Cancellara, Nibali, and other so called winners, who always goes for the win, blah, blah...
You would think that a man who always goes for the win should have more victories than a man who goes for the best possible position, yet we have here a total opposite situation. Weird, don't you think? :rolleyes:
Cav>Valverde

Quality not quantity. Stage wins in Castilla y Leon and the Tour of Andalucia are nice but not equal to proper races.

Maybe if Froome and Sagan hasn’t been about
Nibali >>> Sagan. Winning Tour de France and Milano San Remo is much diverse than anyone has achieved since the 90'ies let alone Sagan and he won at least one big race from 2013 to 2018 ( GT or a Monument ). I would put Nibali second only to Froome. And a couple of other riders like Gilbert are similar to Sagan in terms of achievements.

And no, not everyone is a fan of Sagan's personality either. ( This was a common argument I saw on the thread for some reason )

Nibali >>> Sagan. Winning Tour de France and Milano San Remo is much diverse than anyone has achieved since the 90'ies let alone Sagan and he won at least one big race from 2013 to 2018 ( GT or a Monument ). I would put Nibali second only to Froome. And a couple of other riders like Gilbert are similar to Sagan in terms of achievements.

And no, not everyone is a fan of Sagan's personality either. ( This was a common argument I saw on the thread for some reason )
It's not about being a fan, it's about what his antics - combined with his results and physical prowess - bring to the larger world of sport.

He also has won 71 more races than Nibali in the 2010s, and not cheap ones.

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site
If I ask my non-cycling friends to name one cyclist, they will all say Sagan. Maybe some of them know Froome, but I would bet noone knows Nibali etc. So rider of the decade should not be decided only by results...

If I ask my non-cycling friends to name one cyclist, they will all say Sagan. Maybe some of them know Froome, but I would bet noone knows Nibali etc. So rider of the decade should not be decided only by results...
If I ask my illiterate friends to name a Nobel prize winner in literature, they'll all say: "Andrić".
Some of them might name Solzhenitsyn, too.
Nationalistic sentiments and crutches of self-respect play a part, but no one serious would accept it as a valid argument.

I understand the angle of approach that takes fame into account. The elephant in the room using that metric, though, is that a certain Texan was riding for Radioshack in 2010 (and rode the TdU in 2011). For what it's worth, I doubt any of my non-cycling friends have heard of Sagan. Heck, I doubt most of the club cyclists around here have heard of him. But then, I live in Kentucky! ;)

Reactions: Koronin
I understand the angle of approach that takes fame into account. The elephant in the room using that metric, though, is that a certain Texan was riding for Radioshack in 2010 (and rode the TdU in 2011). For what it's worth, I doubt any of my non-cycling friends have heard of Sagan. Heck, I doubt most of the club cyclists around here have heard of him. But then, I live in Kentucky! ;)

I live in North Carolina and can say the same thing.

TRENDING THREADS