• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who overcame the greatest career setback?

Who overcame the greatest career setback?

• Remco Evenepoel

• Lance Armstrong

• Marco Pantani

• Greg Lemond

• Other/Vino

Results are only viewable after voting.
If Chloe Dygart ever returns to racing following her injury, add her to the list.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I found it easier to return to cycling after a life threatening illness than I did when I had a life threatening illness that messed up my leg. I'm now in the ridiculous situation where I can ride a bike better than I can walk. :tearsofjoy:

So my vote goes to the riders who've had severe leg/brain injuries that affected how they use their legs.

Javier Otxoa (RIP).
Wins on Hautacam in the 2000 Tour.
Car crashes into him and his twin brother Ricardo in early 2001. Ricardo was killed, Javier awoke from coma two months later... to find himself with multiple handicaps that would prevent him from ever returning to the 'regular' peloton.
Continues with the sport anyway after a long recovery process, and becomes a Paralympic champion in 2004.

Car crashes into him and his twin brother Ricardo in early 2001. Ricardo was killed, Javier awoke from coma two months later... to find himself with multiple handicaps that would prevent him from ever returning to the 'regular' peloton.

I just can't imagine how hard that must have been. Imagine waking from a coma, and learn that your brother, your twin, is dead and long burried... :(

Armstrong, then Fabio/Lemond is how I would rank, if Fabio was on the list. Bernal could be up there with Lemond if he wins 2 more GTs. (which goes to show how impressive Lemond's comeback was.)

What's amazing about Jakobsen is the mental aspect - he was injured in a race at the most dangerous moment for a sprinter and came back to be the best bunch sprinter this year. Not sure there's a parallel case.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I assumed Netserk specifically meant riders, who were able to have - some sort of - careers after their setback. Costa, otoh, had already stopped before his accident.
Maybe he did. But an assumption that the OP might have meant something doesn't preclude mentioning something else that is an equally valid interpretation.

If the thread has a point, it is surely to prompt discussion of , and reminders of, tales of resilience and courage after apparent disaster. The title is not "Who made the greatest cycling recovery from a setback?" and could be re-phrased as "Who had the greatest career setback and yet has made a recovery?" As such, the consideration of other forms of recovery seems eminenty reasonable.

Maybe he did. But an assumption that the OP might have meant something doesn't preclude mentioning something else that is an equally valid interpretation.

If the thread has a point, it is surely to prompt discussion of , and reminders of, tales of resilience and courage after apparent disaster. The title is not "Who made the greatest cycling recovery from a setback?" and could be re-phrased as "Who had the greatest career setback and yet has made a recovery?" As such, the consideration of other forms of recovery seems eminenty reasonable.

In that case, people like Stig Broeckx and Keagan Girdlestone would be pretty big candidates.
Hopefully, Amy Pieters as well.

• Love

You need to have a career to have a career setback. Overcoming a career setback means returning. This being a cycling forum and a thread about riders, it's about their cycling careers. Afaik, Costa did not overcome a cycling career setback. He overcame adversity, but that is a broader category.

100% Lance Armstrong.

Look I'm an Pantani fan. He had to learn walking completely new. Spend 1 year in swimming pools and other rehabilitation.

Armstrong beat cancer when he was about to die. Actually he was pronounced dead already by his own doctors. They just didn't tell him. But Lance had different plans than to die.

Whether you like him or not. That certainly is the biggest comeback in cycling. Yes, it's declamatory and was part of the story & big lie he sold. But that doesn't change the fact what it was and is.

The others can't even contest. Not even Pantani & Lemond.

And yes, it probably takes the mindset of Armstrong to say "*** you cancer" and survive against all odds. Because he had to fight agonies, but kept battling with strength.

Last edited:
I would say that losing a leg is very much a career setback for an ambitious cyclist. IIRC, he was out of the sport, but had by no means given up on it.

So I am happy to raise Costa here, and to be reminded of Otxoa, and to hope for the best possible outcome in terms of whatever overcoming their difficulties amounts to for Girdlestone, Broeckx and Pieters (I don't know enough of their currect conditions to offer an opinion as to whether they can be said to have overcome their tragic setbacks).

But I am not going to agree that overcoming a cycling setback can only be achieved by returning to cycling.

Last edited:
I would say that Johan Museeuw also could be in that list:
  • 1995: fell together with Casartelli (he was behind him) and was with him when he died
  • 1998: broke his knee in P-R, with the wound getting infected with a virus - doctors considered amputation of the leg, but ultimately decided not to
  • 2000: had a motorbike accident, was in critical condition for several weeks and suffered brain damage (after the accident, he spoke more slowly than before)

He won P-R twice (2000, 2002), Omloop twice (2000, 2003) and had some other good results (e.g. Ronde 2nd, P-R 2nd, E3 3rd) after his crash(es).

TRENDING THREADS