• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who overcame the greatest career setback?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who overcame the greatest career setback?

• Remco Evenepoel

• Lance Armstrong

• Marco Pantani

• Greg Lemond

• Other/Vino

Results are only viewable after voting.
100% Lance Armstrong.

Look I'm an Pantani fan. He had to learn walking completely new. Spend 1 year in swimming pools and other rehabilitation.

Armstrong beat cancer when he was about to die. Actually he was pronounced dead already by his own doctors. They just didn't tell him. But Lance had different plans than to die.

Whether you like him or not. That certainly is the biggest comeback in cycling. Yes, it's declamatory and was part of the story & big lie he sold. But that doesn't change the fact what it was and is.

The others can't even contest. Not even Pantani & Lemond.

And yes, it probably takes the mindset of Armstrong to say "*** you cancer" and survive against all odds. Because he had to fight agonies, but kept battling with strength.
I consider myself a fan of cycling but I had a 10 year hiatus in the 90's for work and study reasons, but can you explain to me what happened to Pantani because I had no idea. Thanks.

I consider myself a fan of cycling but I had a 10 year hiatus in the 90's for work and study reasons, but can you explain to me what happened to Pantani because I had no idea. Thanks.

He crashed into a car (or tractor) during the 1995 Milano-Turino race and broke his leg.

If I remember correctly, his injuries where so serious that his career was in danger and they had to shorten his leg.

Just when he came back for the 1997 Giro d'Italia he crashed out of the race again, when a black cat crossed the street.

He would go on to win at Alpe d'Huez during the 1997 Tour de France with with the French fans shouting his name during his past race interview on France Television.

He crashed into a car (or tractor) during the 1995 Milano-Turino race and broke his leg.

If I remember correctly, his injuries where so serious that his career was in danger and they had to shorten his leg.

Just when he came back for the 1997 Giro d'Italia he crashed out of the race again, when a black cat crossed the street.

He would go on to win at Alpe d'Huez during the 1997 Tour de France with with the French fans shouting his name during his past race interview on France Television.
Yes and if I recall Pantani won that ‘97 Alpe d'Huez stage with one of his two fastest times in history. Yes I know :oops:but still amazing so soon after his serious crash injuries.

ouch, I remember the pictures of him resistance training in a swimming pool with a big plastic bag sealing up all the pins and bracing. Incredible determination. It's difficult for me to compare with Lemond: Greg especially impresses me for trying to get back to where he was after already having proven himself so many time; Marco possibly worse injuries(?) but on the way up in his career and with that extra motivation of wanting a chance to get to the absolute top.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I read both Armstrong books so know all about his cancer survival and am a Pantani fan but I have to say Greg Lemond. No question for me.

I wonder how many who voted for others are simply not aware of the extent of Lemond’s injuries from his hunting accident? It is quite incredible that he won two TdFs after being filled with lead. Lemond always said he was strongest in 1986. With Armstrong he said he researched cancer treatments that wouldn’t destroy his lungs. But I just don’t trust that guy.

Reactions: perico
Hells yeah, there was this race in France...

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yJSgzHTRg38

Worth a look for anyone like me who was asleep before / during / after Remco’s Sunday smackdown.
One of the best WCRR finales of all time imho. Chasing down Fignon in the rain, beating Kelly (!!!!) and Konyshev in the sprint. Even though he had an amazing 1989 and obviously reached a very high level, even by his own admission he was never the same after the gunshot. World Road Champion in 1983 with basically no team, who knows what he would have done without being shot. I very seriously doubt either Delgado or Roche would have beaten him in 87 and 88 has he been there healthy.

I guess on the flipside at least for the everyday American the gunshot story is more compelling than winning 5 Tours...

Reactions: Big Doopie
It was interesting to read the Greg Lemond Wikipedia and see the echoes in recent events. He transferred teams because he discovered clinic stuff was happening at his team, was way off his form after the shotgun blast but had a shocking second in the Giro ITT due to “anemia treatment” during the race, and came into the Tour with a top 20 as a reasonable goal. But he had perfected his form and was more aerodynamic than Fignon and of course told his team not to tell him his time splits and pulled off a shocking upset on the last ITT, demolishing Fignon. I don’t know why everyone doesn’t focus on form and ride on feel.

TRENDING THREADS