• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who rides track?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Who here rides track? I ride the Forest City Velodrome in London, Ontario Canada. I don't race but just ride recreationally in the colder months to keep fit.

It's an indoor velodrome, wooden (smooth plywood sheeting), 138 metres around and 50 degrees steep.

Mar 10, 2009
www.woj.com.au
...wow, 134 meters, how is that?
...does it get somewhat hairy when a group is on the boards?

We are spoilt here, I am in melbourne OZ, we have two indoor Velodromes of 250m, plus a host of outdoors one varying from 250 through 330m to 500m.

Back in 05 I was in Colorado Springs on a visit and rode their 330 outdoor concrete track on a stinking hot summer's day... that was fun, riding around, with the US Olympic speed skating team training on roller blades in the middle and the view of Pikes peak across the city in the background...yep, very much fun, but cool isn't the right word! Worked up a thirst for a Molson, but could only find Bud :(

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It's been several years since I've ridden on the track. Last time was at the Olympic Velodrome in Carson, California (site of the 1984 games) on the campus of California State University, Dominguez Hills. It was a 333m track with some steep 33 degree bank turns. It has since been replaced by the LA Velodrome at The ADT Event Center, the only indoor velodrome in the U.S. and host to, among other events, a round of the UCI Track Cycling Worldcup.

I wish there was a velodrome here in Austin, TX, though. I understand a few years ago there was talk of building one. The nearest one is in Houston, 250km away.

I think a nice alternative to the high costs of building a velodrome would be to build a grass track...hmmm

ianfra

BANNED
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I love the velodrome. Recently moved to Chiang Mai (northern Thailand) where there is a wonderful track but it is unused and access to it is difficult. Working on that one as my 9 year old was an accomplished trackie in the UK and I need to get him riding again. If anyone ever has any information about cycling in Thailand or contacts let us know.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I was riding at the Superdrome in Adelaide to keep fit over winter but there was so many crashes that I was worried I may end up being injured the whole of spring/summer! It is a really great velodrome with awesome facilities though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Treddly said:
...wow, 134 meters, how is that?
...does it get somewhat hairy when a group is on the boards?
Ok I lied! It's 138 metres around. That extra 4 metres makes ALL the difference :D

ss-FCV.jpg

I race at the **** Lane Velodrome here in Atlanta. It's 1/5 mile and is around 36 deg of banking. It's a fun track even if the front straight is slightly uphill.

I've been racing for two years. I took the beginners class a couple of years ago and became instantly addicted.

wuntun rides and races the northern hemisphere at Major Taylor Velodrome in Indianapolis, IN, a 333.3m concrete track. Have experience at Kenosha, WI's cigar-shaped track, Trexlertown's and Colorado Spring's concrete 333's, and Frisco, TX 250m wooden track. If you're in the neighborhood, stop in on a Friday night between June 1 and Aug.31 and jump in a race!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Brisbane has a 333.33m concrete, outdoor track at Chandler that was built for the 1982 Commonwealth Games. Now it's showing signs of wear and neglect has been for some time.

Been riding track for over a year now and I really like that way that it rounds out my cycling and provides intensity in a form that you don't get anywhere else.

It's great that we have a velodrome but the joy of a world class venue like Dunc Gray in Sydney (my mouth waters just thinking about it). Enjoyed the delights of riding on the boards in October last year.

Maybe one day, Brisbane will be equally blessed.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Brisbane has a 333.33m concrete, outdoor track at Chandler that was built for the 1982 Commonwealth Games. Now it's showing signs of wear and neglect - has been for some time.

Been riding track for over a year now and I really like the way that it rounds out my cycling and provides intensity in a form that you don't get anywhere else.

It's great that we have a velodrome but the joy of a world class venue like Dunc Gray in Sydney (my mouth waters just thinking about it). Enjoyed the delights of riding on the boards in October last year.

Mar 7, 2009
www.vizlefx.com
Halesowen 400m track. I used to really enjoy track until a nasty crash at about 35mph totatly put me off it. Broke radius, thumb but fortunatly a fine bike. So now im going to focus more on individual pursuiting.

I ride a Spiuk Volita, great bike getting a bit small for me though :(

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
My local track is at the Geelong West oval, its a 440m asphalt beast that has an uphill finishing straight and is always windy as hell. It's a great character bulider!

slyrider said:
Brisbane has a 333.33m concrete, outdoor track at Chandler that was built for the 1982 Commonwealth Games. Now it's showing signs of wear and neglect - has been for some time.

Been riding track for over a year now and I really like the way that it rounds out my cycling and provides intensity in a form that you don't get anywhere else.

I thought Chandler got badly damaged by the motor X (?) guys when they drove vehicles all over it.

I've raced there once about 6-7 years ago and it was a really good track then. Shame it's gone downhill.

My local velodromes are DGV in Sydney (indoor 250 boards) and Tempe (333 concrete) which is only 10-15 min from my place. :)

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
What sort of times can be ridden on such a short track?
Are there any track records kept? Kilo and 4 kilo times?
I have a tough time counting to twelve, but 29 laps! Sounds crazy.

TRENDING THREADS