• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who were the samples from the 1999 tour?

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Can someone help me, I was trying to ascertain who gave the 87 (usable) samples that were latterly tested for EPO.

I was just trying to set in my own mind to what extent everyone was doing it? since there were only 13 positive samples

if i'm right......
the yellow jersey holder gets tested every day, and stage winner gets tested every day, that would mean,
kirsipuu gave 6 samples
steels 3
cipo 4
lance 15
extebarria 2
commesso, konishev, guerini, dierckxsens, escartin, mondini, mcewen (all 1)

that would account for 36 samples,

who else would have given samples?
also how common were tests that although not positive "clearly contained" epo to the trained eye, (ashenden said that 2 of lances were like this, but does anyone know if these were the only two?)
also how many samples were unusable? do we know how many of these were lances?

any help would be appreciated

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
All prologue samples were positive. Now, we know that after a prologue, besides the randomly selected people, the top 3 are always tested.

So that's Armstrong, Zülle and Olano