• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will be the most helpful domestique at the 2015 TDF ?

Who will be the most useful domestique at the 2015 TDF ?

• Morabito (Pinot)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Sagan (Contador)

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • Porte (Froome)

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Thomas (Froome)

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • Fuglsang (Nibali)

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Valverde (Quintana)

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • Majka (Contador)

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Hesjedal (Martin/Talansky)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Vuillermoz (Bardet/JCP)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.6%

• Total voters
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Focused mostly on the GC teams but I'm sure there will be very useful lead out riders and cobble guys for the sprinters etc

Porte/Valverde/Majka are probably the strongest in the mountains but does that make them the most useful ?

It could be someone like G.Thomas who is the most valuable asset or even a motivated Sagan (we know he can climb, he just doesn't bother a lot of the time.)

What do you guys reckon ?

Re: Who will be the most helpful domestique at the 2015 TDF

Moreno is not riding reportedly.

I could imagine Hesjedal doing a monster job for Talansky (or possibly Martin) if the latter is in contention for good place in GC and the former is not. There are very little of riders of this calibre who can sacrifice for their leaders that much.

But I'd go with Poels. He could be as strong as in Pais Vasco when he rode away from Alberto and Valverde + the Zoncolan stage where he helped Uran in the Giro. He is good when it gets really steep and this is what this Tour is all about. I think he is going to win Lombardia this year, but let's see.

Will be Froome's last man if Porte fails to deliver.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Valverde is a co-leader and will also be targeting stages. Not counting a rider of his stature as a mere domstique, although the benefit to Quintana will be great nontheless.

Out of the actual domestiques, I'd say some Sky rider besides Froome will be climbing extremely strongly. Porte.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
But I'd go with Poels. He could be as strong as in Pais Vasco when he rode away from Alberto and Valverde + the Zoncolan stage where he helped Uran in the Giro. He is good when it gets really steep and this is what this Tour is all about. I think he is going to win Lombardia this year, but let's see.

Will be Froome's last man if Porte fails to deliver.

The tour is not about steep at all. The tour climbs ain't steep at all.

for me fuglslang, cobbles skill from last year, competitive in mountain, and I like the way he is working for Nibali
but I am curious what majka will be able to do to help contador

Sagan as a domestique? :confused: I don't expect to see that happen at all. If he can't get finish line points, he will try till he knows what points he can get at the intermediate, and then roll along at his own pace. He is essentially in competition with Contador, as there are so many team members to look after there conflicting requirements.

Thomas, he is in good shape and he is extremely helpful because he is important on the cobbles, for pace making and in the mountains. Most of the other domestiques can only do one or two of these things (or their leader just doesn't need them so much, like nibali who won't need as much help on the cobbles as other favorites will.

TRENDING THREADS