• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will podium TDF 2013 - The 2nd tier contenders

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will podium in the TDF (Other than Froome/Contador)

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Apparently you think Van Garderen was bluffing it in the TT in Suisse?

Or do different rules apply, since he's an American?
Van Garderen was tenth in the time trial at the Tour de Suisse, Contador was 61st in the time trial at the Dauphine. There's a huge difference there.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:
Van Garderen was tenth in the time trial at the Tour de Suisse, Contador was 61st in the time trial at the Dauphine. There's a huge difference there.

Different circumstances shouldn't be taken into account? I can also tell you TJVG could only manage 73rd in the prologue of the TdS. A bad result, when you forget about to consider the conditions of the day.

Quintana, maybe if he doesn't have to do too much for Valverde. Porte will be working for Froome.

Purito seems to be going for it this year.

I think that Evans stands a good chance if he aims at a podium place and rides accordingly. If he goes for the win I think that he'll end up placing somewhere in the 8 - 15 range.

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Is it me or is it clear in this topic a fresh july-crowd has arrived at the forums? The massve hyping of Van Garderen, the almost disregard of someone like Quintana and Mollema. Yeah. Time to stay under the radar the next month.

I wouldn't say Quintana is being disregarded seeing he is coming 2nd in the poll ;) I agree Mollema probably should be in the poll, due to recent performances and seeing Gesink isn't leader anymore.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Is it me or is it clear in this topic a fresh july-crowd has arrived at the forums? The massve hyping of Van Garderen, the almost disregard of someone like Quintana and Mollema. Yeah. Time to stay under the radar the next month.
IMHO Quintana is a serious podium candidate, no questions asked. Movi's unreasonable loyalty to Valverde will probably cost him this spot, tho. Shame, really.

Won't go batshoot Ryo about Nairo, but there is a star in the makes for sure.

Hopefully TGBM and Gesink will perform too.

In general the Tour will be about as entertaining as the so called 2nd rate contenders make it. Skyfall is probably too much to ask, but constant attacking should at least make the Universal Pedal Tur(n)ing Machines halt a couple of times.

Swabian Lass said:
Quintana, maybe if he doesn't have to do too much for Valverde. ...
José Luis Arrieta, uno de los directores del equipo telefónico, analiza para MARCA.com a los nueve integrantes que defenderán a la escuadra de Unzué en Francia.

Nairo Quintana: "Es la juventud en persona. Un escalador puro. Una persona con muchas ganas de hacerlo bien. Es el porvenir. Hay que dejarle tranquilo, porque los resultados llegarán. Resultará muy importante para nosotros. Puede dar la sorpresa en alguna etapa".

http://www.marca.com/2013/06/25/ciclismo/tour_francia/1372156799.html

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
nick101 said:
I'm not surprised. He had a strong Dauphine showing and imho was unlucky not to beat Sanchez for the stage win, as he was clearly the stronger rider

Indeed, considering that maybe he can even come Top 10..

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
taiwan said:
Lot of Fuglfans on the forum atm. Jani Brajkovic will be more of a threat.

I'm no Fuglfan, but his 4th place at the dauphine is a stronger reason to consider him as a top ten contender than the invisible Brajkovic

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
Lot of Fuglfans on the forum atm. Jani Brajkovic will be more of a threat.

Brajkovic wont be a factor. Neither will Fuglsang (for the podium), but he did surprise me in Dauphiné and I reckon he can finish in top 10. But he will never be a threat to Froome and Contador.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Brajkovic has a better palmares and is fit as evidenced by his respectable result in the Tour de Suisse's very difficult time trial. Brajkovic is a better shout for top ten providing he doesn't have to pull Fuglsang up mountains.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
Brajkovic has a better palmares and is fit as evidenced by his respectable result in the Tour de Suisse's very difficult time trial. Brajkovic is a better shout for top ten providing he doesn't have to pull Fuglsang up mountains.

He did a fine TT, but on the mountain stages he was goooooone. He might have better palmaras, but as you say in football you are only as good as your last game, and based on Dauphiné and TdS Fuglsang looks way sharper atm.

But we will see. I dont expect much from Brajkovic, but then again maybe if he is 15-20 in the GC and gets in one of those early breaks that makes it on a mountain stage he could take a stage and top 10. But on pure strength I see Fuglsang as a better option for top 10 at the moment (and I usually dont have a lot of positive things to say about him - and we might see him falter as he usually does. Then it will be all about stage wins for Astana)

TRENDING THREADS