• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will podium TDF 2013 - The 2nd tier contenders

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will podium in the TDF (Other than Froome/Contador)

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Fuglslang is designated leader for Astana. It's likely that Brajkovic will be mountain domestique for him, so won't have the opportunity to get a decent GC result. Best possible outcome would be a stage win from a breakaway on a stage where he isn't domestique for Fuglslang. That being said, we're talking about a rider who will make podium, not top 10. Jw has fuglslang ever done a top 10 in a GT???

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
nick101 said:
TJ was fifth 11 minutes down on wiggins. If he didn't look after evans, fourth definitely as VDB was only a minute ahead of him. But i don't think 3rd was realistic. Nibali was 5 minutes ahead of TJ. Imo i don't think he could have done that much better (i.e. over 5 minutes better)

You can point to TJVG looking after Evans but what about the bad luck that JVDB had during the race? He had an untimely mechanical on the approach to La Planche des Belles Filles which cost him dearly. JVDB was the only one who could consistently stay with the top three last year. He was also one of the few who was able and willing to attack. Also TJVG benefited from the time trial km's last year compared to JVDB.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Jaunty Monty said:
You can point to TJVG looking after Evans but what about the bad luck that JVDB had during the race? He had an untimely mechanical on the approach to La Planche des Belles Filles which cost him dearly. JVDB was the only one who could consistently stay with the top three last year. He was also one of the few who was able and willing to attack. Also TJVG benefited from the time trial km's last year compared to JVDB.

C'mon do you really JVDB could've done 5 minutes better if he hadn't had the mechanical. Really?? he lost under 2 minutes, not the 5 minutes necessary to beat Nibali. plus Nibali lost time to JVDB on several stages due to an injury.
Mechanicals are always part of the tour so people can't complain as they happen to most riders. Froome had a flat tyre on one of the flat stages and finished over a minute behind JVDB, TJ, Nibali and Pinot. For me Pinot climbed the best overall of the others, only his tting let him down. He was the only one who held Froome's wheel during that infamous acceleration as well.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
nick101 said:
C'mon do you really JVDB could've done 5 minutes better if he hadn't had the mechanical. Really?? he lost under 2 minutes, not the 5 minutes necessary to beat Nibali. plus Nibali lost time to JVDB on several stages due to an injury.
Mechanicals are always part of the tour so people can't complain as they happen to most riders. Froome had a flat tyre on one of the flat stages and finished over a minute behind JVDB, TJ, Nibali and Pinot. For me Pinot climbed the best overall of the others, only his tting let him down. He was the only one who held Froome's wheel during that infamous acceleration as well.

I was discussing the relative merits of TJVG vs JVDB not the top three from last year. You mentioned TJVG could have got fourth if he'd not been helping Evans. I pointed out that he wouldn't have been so close to JVDB had the latter not have had bad luck (or had their been fewer TT km's).

Pinot didn't climb better than JVDB over the whole of the TDF. The only time he put signifcant time on him in the mountains was stage 8 when he won because he wasn't perceived as a threat. Otherwise they pretty much finished in the same group except for Stage 16 where JVDB finished in a group one minute down on the top three and Pinot finished nearly another two minutes back. Regardless of finishing places during stages JVDB was the one outside of the Sky duo who reacted best to the attacks of Nibali. Had he not expended energy attacking or covering attacks but instead raced conseratively perhaps he would have lost less time.

Not like either of them were catching Nibali anyway. In any case, Tejay didn't really lose his podium shot on La Toussiure anyway, he lost it on La Planche des Belles Filles when he lost 3 minutes to the leaders early in the Tour. If he doesn't crack there, he's only a few seconds behind Nibali in fourth going into stage 11, and maybe instead of having him drop back to help Cadel, BMC cuts him loose (especially with the time trial later in the race where Tejay made up almost all the ground he lost to Nibali in stages 12 and on). Subtract the time he lost on those 2 stages and he's about 20 seconds back of Nibali at the end.

In any case, not sure what the point is in quibbling over the 1:50 or so JVDB lost on Belles Filles versus the 1:30 or so Tejay lost on the Toussiure (plus whatever you think the time he might have gained if he'd just been attacking on his own on the Croix-de-fer instead of making a futile effort to drag Cadel along adjusted by whatever percentage you think the chances of him actually staying away would be). Point being, if either one wanted to podium, they would have needed more things to go their way than just those two particular situations. Otherwise, I think we're splitting hairs over the 4th and 5th spots in the GC.

RiccoDinko said:
Deepest Tour in years, too bad the Dawg is going to crush them all..

Well, maybe most of them, but I can't help but feel that, with as deep as this Tour is and as many fringe GC contenders as there are, that somebody (even other than Contador) is bound to go out and have a monster Tour (by their standards) and challenge for it. I mean, there's so many guys who seem like they could do it, I have to figure at least one of them will.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
My instincts were Purito or Valverde. I really like Quintana, but it is not his role so he may lose time the first week. Teejay, I like but I just am not sold on him coming through. VDB is usually there or therabouts but no better. Cadel and Andy are past it for a podium. So I went cynic and picked Porte.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Interesting that Brajkovic got no. 61 and not Fuglsang despite Vino saying brajkovic will be riding for Fuglsang.

And no they havent done it alphabetically. In that case Bazayev would have gotten it

I've just notice a grave error on both CN's and letour.fr's startlists: They've omitted Angel Madrazo. Preposterous. I'll contact the site managers, but for now I'd like to officially change my vote.

AngelMadrazo.png

TRENDING THREADS