• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Angliru said:
Many have mentioned the lack of form (or illness) of Evans in the 2012 Tour, Froome having the Tour in his legs for the 2012 Vuelta, and even Andy being a bit off form for the 2011 Tour. It's not just Contador that gets this benefit of the doubt. Credit was given to Purito having improved in every way with his Giro and Vuelta performances in 2012. I'm quite certain that Purito and Valverde (had he not lost the time from his crash early in the Vuelta) were and would've given Contador the scare of his life similar to the one he experienced from Andy when he pulled out his Tour win in the final ITT in
2010. I'm quite certain that if you reference the forum during those particular periods you will find sympathy shown for Evans and maybe for Gesink (but not from the Dutch who are harder on Gesink than anyone :eek: ).

Until proven otherwise Contador is simply the rider to beat when it comes to grand tours. Do you wonder why his is the first name generally mentioned when the predictions on who will win/contend are presented?

Of course he is the rider to beat. His record says so. But why excuses for some carry more weight than for others is just hard to take sometimes. Evans got absolutely hammered until he won the Worlds and then the criticism gradually cooled. Gesink cops it every time he races and not just by the Dutch. I can imagine what Gesink would have copped if he lost the Vuelta the way Rodriguez did. I am starting to feel the same way about Schleck. It's easy to kick someone when they are down. Schleck should not need extra motivation if he reads the papers and this forum. I would like to see all three of them do well in the Tour or at least turn up healthy and in good form.

movingtarget said:
It's true of course. I am getting tired of the Contador propaganda. If he lost the Vuelta it would have been because of lack of racing but Froome did not get much sympathy for backing up and finishing the race when he could have pulled out at any time like others would have. Froome would have known after the first five days that he was not going to make the podium. Maybe the riders that beat Contador should be given more credit. It's impossible to be in peak form for every grand tour when sickness or injury can impact or riders can lose form for no reason at all. There was never much sympathy for Evans or Gesink when they failed but if Contador fails it's like a day of mourning, we should all wear black until the next grand tour ?

That's not true. The thing is that people see la Vuelta, Tour 2010, Tour 2011 as proof Alberto's lost it and all Hitch, Angliru etc are trying to do is make them realize that maybe it was just because Alberto wasn't at his best. Because when he is at his best, it is almost impossible to beat him. We saw that in 2009.

movingtarget said:
It's true of course. I am getting tired of the Contador propaganda. If he lost the Vuelta it would have been because of lack of racing but Froome did not get much sympathy for backing up and finishing the race when he could have pulled out at any time like others would have. Froome would have known after the first five days that he was not going to make the podium. Maybe the riders that beat Contador should be given more credit. It's impossible to be in peak form for every grand tour when sickness or injury can impact or riders can lose form for no reason at all. There was never much sympathy for Evans or Gesink when they failed but if Contador fails it's like a day of mourning, we should all wear black until the next grand tour ?

what a bunch of bull****. everyone fully aknowledged froome was tired from the tour just like in 2010 everyone aknowledged evams was tired from the giro but there seems to exist nonetheless a special type ******* cycling fan who decides for himself what others think and then uses this imaginary world view to beat up on others.

if you have any honour whatsoever you should retract that shameful post at once.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Unhappy people. What ego one should have to get interest towards to something not because one really likes that, but just because one could put forward its stupid theories, enjoy oneself, offend and cry shame upon others. It's not about right or wrong. That is just democratic view of things, and vulnerable conceit of those who wants to see only its rider on the top, no matter how one tries to hide it.

At least now we know that the great forum philosopher sees the races like Little Flower. :)

I'm giving up.

We will polemize in spring. :)

airstream said:
Unhappy people. What ego one should have to get interest towards to something not because one really likes that, but just because one could put forward its stupid theories, enjoy oneself, offend and cry shame upon others. It's not about right or wrong. That is just democratic view of things, and vulnerable conceit of those who wants to see only its rider on the top, no matter how one tries to hide it.

Makes sense

airstream said:

At least now we know that the great forum philosopher sees the races like Little Flower. :)

I'm giving up.

We will polemize in spring. :)

Is that a promise?:D

movingtarget said:
Of course he is the rider to beat. His record says so. But why excuses for some carry more weight than for others is just hard to take sometimes. Evans got absolutely hammered until he won the Worlds and then the criticism gradually cooled. Gesink cops it every time he races and not just by the Dutch. I can imagine what Gesink would have copped if he lost the Vuelta the way Rodriguez did. I am starting to feel the same way about Schleck. It's easy to kick someone when they are down. Schleck should not need extra motivation if he reads the papers and this forum. I would like to see all three of them do well in the Tour or at least turn up healthy and in good form.

What can you criticize Contador for that isn't clinic related? His 2011 Tour performance? It isn't reasonable in your eyes that he could've been fatigued from the Giro and feeling the effects from his multiple crashes? You can't fathom that he was less than his best in this year's Vuelta? It was believed by some that Nibali spent too much time away from competition when he attempted to defend his Vuelta win in 2011.

Evans and Andy were/are hammered more for their media stumbles than their performances. Since Evans' performances have caught up to his actual potential and his media savvy has been sharpened he's less of a target.

Gesink gets pummeled about his performances whether it's due to the effect of his multiple injuries/crashes or just due to general disappointment on the part of who's doing the pummeling. I've been one that still holds out hope for him and has supported him for the most part. Gesink's crash in the 2009 Vuelta still lingers in many conversations when it the topic of "what could've been" is talked about.

As far as Andy goes I've ceased with my usual criticisms of him and I was probably one of the more frequent posters who made fun of his foibles. This year he's become more of a tragic figure with his season a total wash due to his injury and his drama with Bruyneel.

Now speaking of Contador, you apparently haven't spent much time in the clinic, where he is not much respect by a nice sized faction, if you take into consideration all the less than flattering nicknames he's been given.

Ultimately who says what degree of weight is given to a certain perspective? The number of people that agree with it or the validity of their argument, which of course is a matter of opinion?

I realize it's not ideal or realistic, but I'm also always hoping that all the principles show up at the big events in their best form, avoid the crashes and give us all the epic battles that we keep thinking would've been but lately hasn't been the case.

I agree though that there has been a bit of the mob mentality when it comes to disparaging posts about various riders while at the same time there are factions that support other riders without variation, no matter what.

Angliru said:
What can you criticize Contador for that isn't clinic related? His 2011 Tour performance? It isn't reasonable in your eyes that he could've been fatigued from the Giro and feeling the effects from his multiple crashes? You can't fathom that he was less than his best in this year's Vuelta? It was believed by some that Nibali spent too much time away from competition when he attempted to defend his Vuelta win in 2011.

Evans and Andy were/are hammered more for their media stumbles than their performances. Since Evans' performances have caught up to his actual potential and his media savvy has been sharpened he's less of a target.

Gesink gets pummeled about his performances whether it's due to the effect of his multiple injuries/crashes or just due to general disappointment on the part of who's doing the pummeling. I've been one that still holds out hope for him and has supported him for the most part. Gesink's crash in the 2009 Vuelta still lingers in many conversations when it the topic of "what could've been" is talked about.

As far as Andy goes I've ceased with my usual criticisms of him and I was probably one of the more frequent posters who made fun of his foibles. This year he's become more of a tragic figure with his season a total wash due to his injury and his drama with Bruyneel.

Now speaking of Contador, you apparently haven't spent much time in the clinic, where he is not much respect by a nice sized faction, if you take into consideration all the less than flattering nicknames he's been given.

Ultimately who says what degree of weight is given to a certain perspective? The number of people that agree with it or the validity of their argument, which of course is a matter of opinion?

I realize it's not ideal or realistic, but I'm also always hoping that all the principles show up at the big events in their best form, avoid the crashes and give us all the epic battles that we keep thinking would've been but lately hasn't been the case.

I agree though that there has been a bit of the mob mentality when it comes to disparaging posts about various riders while at the same time there are factions that support other riders without variation, no matter what.

I try and avoid the clinic. I have Armstrong fatigue. If the grand tours next year are as good as last year I will be very happy even though the Tour was a bit less dramatic than the other two. The Vuelta will be hard to replicate but the Tour and the Giro are shaping up as good races if the usual suspects turn up in good form.

movingtarget said:
I try and avoid the clinic. I have Armstrong fatigue. If the grand tours next year are as good as last year I will be very happy even though the Tour was a bit less dramatic than the other two. The Vuelta will be hard to replicate but the Tour and the Giro are shaping up as good races if the usual suspects turn up in good form.
I will second that opinion and add some hope that the "usual suspects" will also want to delight us and themselves by treating us to epic rides in the classics and some of the spring short stage races

movingtarget said:
I try and avoid the clinic. I have Armstrong fatigue.

I'm trying to avoid it also, there are Clinic posters who have absolute tunnel-vision with regards to certain teams and riders, and these posters will find little in the sport to enjoy for years to come. When the present peloton spout the party line of 'all in the past' and 'stopped in 2006' they'd be far better turning their unbridled ire on the dopers of the past for giving them such a tainted legacy.

On topic, I really can't wait for the new season and in particular the month or so of Trentino and the Giro. The latter should be a cracking race.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
argyllflyer said:
I'm trying to avoid it also, there are Clinic posters who have absolute tunnel-vision with regards to certain teams and riders, and these posters will find little in the sport to enjoy for years to come. When the present peloton spout the party line of 'all in the past' and 'stopped in 2006' they'd be far better turning their unbridled ire on the dopers of the past for giving them such a tainted legacy.

On topic, I really can't wait for the new season and in particular the month or so of Trentino and the Giro. The latter should be a cracking race.

the clinic is good for a big laugh. the amoutn of bull**** you read there reminds me of the wrestlingforums where people come and make up stuff on the fly about backstage stories they've heard and everyone believes and confirms each other without a shread of proove, it's hilarious considering how unbelievebale the stories become and how obsessed people are with certain things

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The only things which Basso and Scarponi will win in 2013 are the races of their towns. We are talking about two riders in a marked decline. The Giro D'Italia will bring us many surprises. ¿My poll? Wiggins, Nibali (if he rides) JRod, Talansky (if he rides) , Rujano, Quintana (if he rides) Hesjedal and the Ag2r duet.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
i also think in Thomas De Gendt and Franco Pelizzoti as important riders. If Coldeportes is invited we'll see a sensational Giro. Is imagine guys like Chaves, Atapuma, Betancur in the break aways and Anacona challenging the GC and my eyes begin to shine.

TRENDING THREADS