• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win Catalunya?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• Other (Pozzo, LL, Porte, Pinot, Martin....)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Isn't that logic? Obviously you'll struggle more when things don't go according to plan lol

Angliru said:
No it's called having a workable backup plan. Contactor in the Tour, Vuelta and TA, Nibali in TA last year had to alter their script to achieve their objectives. It doesn't always work but having the courage and wherewithal to take that chance is what sets them apart.

maybe that would also called 'play by ears' .. adapt?:D

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Why would Contador be very close to top form :confused:

I would see him nearly there ~7-10% being nearly. But, if not then wow he is going to destroy everyone. That's a good scenario however I think he's nearer his best form right now over others. Just opinion though, suppose the last few years taught us to believe his level is lower?

Edit what's the news on Nairo?

Bexon30 said:
I would see him nearly there ~7-10% being nearly. But, if not then wow he is going to destroy everyone. That's a good scenario however I think he's nearer his best form right now over others. Just opinion though, suppose the last few years taught us to believe his level is lower?

Edit what's the news on Nairo?

I don't see why he'd be any closer to top form than normally in March. Also, I wouldn't say he'll destroy everyone as the competition at T-A wasn't that great.

Nairito is apparently recovering from a cold.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I don't see why he'd be any closer to top form than normally in March. Also, I wouldn't say he'll destroy everyone as the competition at T-A wasn't that great.

Nairito is apparently recovering from a cold.

Cheers :) that'll probably put pay to his chances of winning if it was a bad infection. Also with CF bad back then it's hard to judge real form I guess. No doubt for me he looked closer to his best compared with last year! Interestingly will be to see how Rodriguez goes.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Perhaps his best is better this year ;) ;)

It has to be to stand a chance at the Tour but this race will be a great test for Saxo and Alberto. Is Majka ruled out? If so with no Roman Saxo will have to step up, sure Contador is strong but help is needed. Sky did good getting Neive. I can't see Horner doing a deal here either. If Nairo's ill I'd put Rodriguez to round out the podium. It favours him quite well.

Bexon30 said:
It has to be to stand a chance at the Tour but this race will be a great test for Saxo and Alberto. Is Majka ruled out? If so with no Roman Saxo will have to step up, sure Contador is strong but help is needed. Sky did good getting Neive. I can't see Horner doing a deal here either. If Nairo's ill I'd put Rodriguez to round out the podium. It favours him quite well.

Yes Majka is out. Saxo doesn't seem very strong besides Contador... I agree with your podium.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, with Majka out and no Kreuziger, it's definitely very good test for Contador against Sky. Sky brought their climbing fire power with Porte, Lopez, Nieve for high mountains. I don't buy that Quintana will improve more than Contador and Contador would stay the same? :confused:. He has said that TA, Catalunya and Paisco are his targets. B/c he wants more win in 2014. Unless after TA he decided to take horner's diet for the champs: coke and cheeseburger :D

I guess if we see the decline of Contador at Catalunya maybe it's because he went so deep with Lanciano attack: dragging 4 breakaway to the finish while holding off 5 chasers behind him?? who knows..

Roude Leiw said:
I am not convinced, besides the Bertie show, there was not much competition at TA...
You should give it a rest, we all got that you hated PN, no need to splash this across half a dozen different threats.

I voted Betancur, he can out kick them and take the jersey, then defend it, his team is solid enough, competition here is a notch above TA/PN, so Bertie might not reign freely (barring that he is in uberform) and for the Dawg its the first race since Oman and coming back from injury.

The competition was clearly easier in Paris Nice. Apart from Fuglsang and Costa, Betancur faced no serious GC rider. Also, the short uphill finishens suites him very well. Vichot was 3rd and Rojas was 4th in GC. Doesn't that tell you that it was a weak favourites field in Paris Nice?:rolleyes:

I think Betancur will reach top 3 here in Catalunya due to his great punch and some hilly stages that suits him, but he is not in the Froome/AC/Jrod/Quintana league on longer climbs

Cance > TheRest said:
The competition was clearly easier in Paris Nice. Apart from Fuglsang and Costa, Betancur faced no serious GC rider. Also, the short uphill finishens suites him very well. Vichot was 3rd and Rojas was 4th in GC. Doesn't that tell you that it was a weak favourites field in Paris Nice?:rolleyes:

I think Betancur will reach top 3 here in Catalunya due to his great punch and some hilly stages that suits him, but he is not in the Froome/AC/Jrod/Quintana league on longer climbs
yeah but if the big climbs get snowed off ... Carlos is back!

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Cance > TheRest said:

Lol how was that dude even saying that your 3rd and 4th place says it all lmao. Betancur struggles to climb with Nibali in MTF so good luck v Froome. P-N was easy parcours.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Miburo said:
It's true that this race will signify what we'll get in the rest of the season.

If Froome crushes Contador then it's over pretty much but if by any chance Contador can make him suffer for the first time in 2 years then we're in for something else ;)

Completly agree dude, will be a huge blow if Froome outclimbs Contador even by a little bit, were as if Contador outclimbs Froome by say 10-15 seconds i would say it will not matter as much Froome is a better ITT'er and La Flo will like to deny it but Contador is in better shape than Froome right now.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Predict: one or two DNS by Sky key players. ;)

TourOfSardinia said:
well almost - Richie gone now

Btw what's up with Porte? Is he sick or something? or this is another .. out of contention kinda scenario therefore pulls out early to do altitude training :D? Or is he getting the 2013 wiggins' bug - when the tough gets going, things start to crumble?

who's next? Geraint thomas? <sigh> I was looking forward to see porte vs quintana.:(