• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win Il Lombardia?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Lombardia?

• Moreno

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rodríguez

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Bardet

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Contador

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • Poels

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Martin

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Aru

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • Chaves

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Uran

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 29 24.2%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Durden93 said:
Eshnar said:
Taxus4a said:
Contador could beat Valverde in a final spint if he is less tired.
...AND if somebody shoots Valverde down.
Even in this case, it'd be close.

I agree with Eshnar 100% but here's something I don't understand: why is it that climbers such as Alberto can make hard, devastating attacks for 5-10 seconds, but can't sprint? Isn't an attack effectively a mini sprint?

Of course experts can chime in, but from my understanding, sprinting uses those "fast" twitch muscles. It's a HUGE quick burst that you then sustained for a bit. You're giving it your absolute all because the stage is over. You're emptying the tank. I think this is a little different then what AC is able to do (was able). AC has a good attack but then quickly settles into a rhythm which he sustains. He's never been able (from my memory) to explode into the speeds required for a sprint.
Not an expert here, however, I would focus on raw power, I mean an 80Kg muscular sprinter can produce far more wattage than a 58-60Kg climber, and you are beating only the aerodynamic aspect of it, whereas on a climb the main opposing force is the gravity, and then the ratio W/Kg counts more.

Second is the technique, placing and timing are always key in sprints, even in reduced ones.

Coming into Fast twitch/slow twitch muscle mixture, they will give a degree of explosiveness, but if you use it to put an attack at 5Km to go, chances are you will blow. I guess those attacks while climbing are measured efforts.

Durden93 said:
Eshnar said:
Taxus4a said:
Contador could beat Valverde in a final spint if he is less tired.
...AND if somebody shoots Valverde down.
Even in this case, it'd be close.

I agree with Eshnar 100% but here's something I don't understand: why is it that climbers such as Alberto can make hard, devastating attacks for 5-10 seconds, but can't sprint? Isn't an attack effectively a mini sprint?

Essentially, sprinting is about absolute power, attacking on a climb is about power-to-weight.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

jens_attacks said:
change my vote to chavito

also if the climbers will wait for that last small climb, i will lose my mind.
That would be just stupid, but the Vino train should make the race really hard.
Felline could be a dark horse, he likes a hard race from the start and with the easier final 2 climbs I wouldn't count him out, he's a good climber and he's really fast.

gregrowlerson said:
Arredondo said:
Ulissi indeed is faster. Agree with Samu: Purito beated him most of the time in his career in a flat sprint. But they are both pretty fast. But what's not good for Sammy is that Andreas Klöden beated him once in a flat sprint.

ANDREAS KLÖDEN! ;)

2011 Paris-Nice :razz:

Anyone give Kreuzinger a chance to win this?

Top 10 maybe. Not sure he can win but definitely possible. It's a bit too hard for Felline imo.

Ugh, the people here really don't know anything about cycling. The Austrian TV station ORF is, as always, the only one who knows who are the real favorites:
Egw8d3O.png

Translated:
The favorites are the three time winner Damiano Cunego, the two times winners Joaquin Rodriguez and Philippe Gilbert as well as the Italian Fabio Aru, the Spaniard Alejandro Valverde and the Dutchman Robert Gesink.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

gregrowlerson said:
Arredondo said:
Ulissi indeed is faster. Agree with Samu: Purito beated him most of the time in his career in a flat sprint. But they are both pretty fast. But what's not good for Sammy is that Andreas Klöden beated him once in a flat sprint.

ANDREAS KLÖDEN! ;)

2011 Paris-Nice :razz:

Anyone give Kreuzinger a chance to win this?
He is not even starting. His almost-namesake Kreuziger is there though. :)

Edit: but he would have to be leader at first place.

Gigs_98 said:
Ugh, the people here really don't know anything about cycling. The Austrian TV station ORF is, as always, the only one who knows who are the real favorites:
Egw8d3O.png

Translated:
The favorites are the three time winner Damiano Cunego, the two times winners Joaquin Rodriguez and Philippe Gilbert as well as the Italian Fabio Aru, the Spaniard Alejandro Valverde and the Dutchman Robert Gesink.

Cunego. :lol: And why always Gesink? Only thing better would be them mentioning Zaugg as a potential winner.

Gigs_98 said:
Egw8d3O.png

Translated:

the mighty inrng gave gilbert as a favourite lolz

got it right with chavito but i feel bad for diego.

jens_attacks said:
Gigs_98 said:
Egw8d3O.png

Translated:

The bookers were all about Ulissi, Alaphilippe, Gilbert, even GVA. They are often lazy and confuses a mountainous profile (such as this year's Lombardia) with a hilly one.

Velolover2 said:
jens_attacks said:
Gigs_98 said:
Egw8d3O.png

Translated:

The bookers were all about Ulissi, Alaphilippe, Gilbert, even GVA. They are often lazy and confuses a mountainous profile (such as this year's Lombardia) with a hilly one.

Ehm, nah. The ones I play at had Chaves, Bardet, Aru and Urán as favourites with Moreno and Valverde. Gilbert's odds were high, as was Ulissi, as was GVA, Alaphilipe was even higher than Valv + Moreno.

Velolover2 said:
jens_attacks said:
Gigs_98 said:
Egw8d3O.png

Translated:

Lol that's not true. According to the bookies, Chaves was the favorite followed by the likes of Uran, Bardet, Aru, Alaphillippe, Valverde and Moreno. Van Avermaert was priced at 66-1. I don't remember Gilbert, but it was probably the same.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Velolover2 said:
jens_attacks said:
Gigs_98 said:
Egw8d3O.png

Translated:

I reckon Alaphilippe could win Lombardia (on this course) in the next few years.

Which reminds me: everyone's been criticising Astana for their tactics, but this was typically catastrophically stupid from Etixx. With Vakoc, Martin, and Alaphilippe, they should have been making the race, but they did basically nothing. Even with de la Cruz and Brambilla in the chasing group, neither did any work. Utter misuse of one of the strongest teams in the race.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Cannibal72 said:
Velolover2 said:
jens_attacks said:
Gigs_98 said:
Egw8d3O.png

Translated:

I reckon Alaphilippe could win Lombardia (on this course) in the next few years.

Which reminds me: everyone's been criticising Astana for their tactics, but this was typically catastrophically stupid from Etixx. With Vakoc, Martin, and Alaphilippe, they should have been making the race, but they did basically nothing. Even with de la Cruz and Brambilla in the chasing group, neither did any work. Utter misuse of one of the strongest teams in the race.

Strongest team where? Didn't saw Martin or Alaphilippe anywhere. Brambilla was their strongest man, and he hang on as much as he could. And why the hell would they work with Chaves, Bardet, Uran, Valverde in that group!?