• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win Il Lombardia?

Who will win Lombardia?

• Moreno

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rodríguez

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Bardet

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Contador

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • Poels

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Martin

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Aru

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • Chaves

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Uran

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 29 24.2%

• Total voters
Re:

Velolover2 said:
With the fastest sprinter missing (Valverde), I'd say Dan Martin if it comes down to 4-8 riders sprinting for the win.

Can't see anyone of the above mentioned beating Martin in a flat sprint.

Urán is faster than Dan Martin. So's Rui Costa, should he be in that 4-8 riders group.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
With the fastest sprinter missing (Valverde), I'd say Dan Martin if it comes down to 4-8 riders sprinting for the win.

Fastest sprinter will probably be there ;)

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Velolover2 said:

Urán is faster than Dan Martin. So's Rui Costa, should he be in that 4-8 riders group.

What basis is there for saying that Uran is faster than anybody at all in a flat sprint? The guy has won about four stages/one day races in his career not counting TTs and none of them were in a sprint. If he actually has a sprint like Martin or Costa he's been doing shockingly badly at using it to win.

Two of his wins were from attacks near the finish where he outwitted sprinters, but that's not evidence that he is a fast sprinter himself. I don't think a rider who has been a pro for nearly a decade without winning a small group sprint can be talked about as a fast sprinter.

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
What basis is there for saying that Uran is faster than anybody at all in a flat sprint? The guy has won about four stages/one day races in his career not counting TTs and none of them were in a sprint. If he actually has a sprint like Martin or Costa he's been doing shockingly badly at using it to win.

Two of his wins were from attacks near the finish where he outwitted sprinters, but that's not evidence that he is a fast sprinter himself. I don't think a rider who has been a pro for nearly a decade without winning a small group sprint can be talked about as a fast sprinter.
Uran beat Martin in a sprint in this stage:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Volta_Ciclista_a_Catalunya_2015_Stage_3_Girona

Uran's sprint is somewhat decent as for climber. Not good enough to win races this way, but on a good day he is definetely capable of outsprinting many of the guys who are climbing at least as well as him. Not sure if I would put him above Martin, but there's evidence (that Catalunya stage) that he can beat Martin in a flat sprint on a good day.

I didn't watch this stage, but if it was a straight sprint for 2nd and bonus seconds, then Uran also did well here:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tirreno_Adriatico_2015_Stage_4_Castelraimondo