• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win La Vuelta 2018?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win La Vuelta 2018?

• Quintana

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • One Yates

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • MAL

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • LRP

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Aru

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Bala

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Lo Squalo

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Mick Jagger

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Random Sky rider

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Somebody else who doesn't want to win but somehow wins

Votes: 16 10.5%

• Total voters
I’m not saying that Haig will be able to control attacks from Lopez etc. That will depend on many things, relative recovery, the point at which attacks come in earnest, whether he’s had to work for a long time already etc. I’m saying that the central premise of the train tactic that has dominated GT climbing for a long time now is that the controlling domestique doesn’t have to be as strong as rival leaders in order to ride too fast for them to get away without blowing up. You only need a Poels - ie an actual climbing peer or near peer of the main attackers - as the last domestique. That in theory is what Adam is there for.

Where MS are lacking, in my view, isn’t in the strength of their last two doms. It’s the rest of them. If Haig has to work from a long way out, the gap between his level and that of say a Lopez becomes all too relevant. Tomorrow may be a one climb stage but it’s a long climb.

(Now that I’ve said all that, Haig will probably show me up by getting dropped straight away)

Zinoviev Letter said:
I’m not saying that Haig will be able to control attacks from Lopez etc. That will depend on many things, relative recovery, the point at which attacks come in earnest, whether he’s had to work for a long time already etc. I’m saying that the central premise of the train tactic that has dominated GT climbing for a long time now is that the controlling domestique doesn’t have to be as strong as rival leaders in order to ride too fast for them to get away without blowing up. You only need a Poels - ie an actual climbing peer or near peer of the main attackers - as the last domestique. That in theory is what Adam is there for.

Where MS are lacking, in my view, isn’t in the strength of their last two doms. It’s the rest of them. If Haig has to work from a long way out, the gap between his level and that of say a Lopez becomes all too relevant. Tomorrow may be a one climb stage but it’s a long climb.

(Now that I’ve said all that, Haig will probably show me up by getting dropped straight away)
Good points, because the only other rider they have who can climb is Howson and they’ve been using him quite hard. I hope for the team’s sake Adam is as fresh as White says because he’s going to get tested Friday and Saturday.

Zinoviev Letter said:

Well put. It should be entertaining regardless—even if there’s not tons of action, there will be plenty of suspense as to how the next two stages will unfold. Going to have to be a bit late to work those days!

The best strategy for Yates is to watch Valverde like a hawk today (and maybe tomorrow). Train tactics only work if you've got 3-4 strong domestiques (or one Kwiatkowski...)

It doesn't matter if Lopez/SK/Mas etc take off at a certain point. If any one of them gets a serious gap and Valverde looks to be weakening, then Adam/Simon have to get going. Just stay on Valv's wheel and force him to make the tactical decisions. He really wants to win this.

I suspect Movistar's tactics, otoh, are for Valverde to try to gain 10 seconds today with a late surge and plan something coordinated on Saturday. On the other, other hand, I could be completely wrong and they will try to take it all back today in coordination with Mas.

Re:

Bolder said:
The best strategy for Yates is to watch Valverde like a hawk today (and maybe tomorrow). Train tactics only work if you've got 3-4 strong domestiques (or one Kwiatkowski...)

It doesn't matter if Lopez/SK/Mas etc take off at a certain point. If any one of them gets a serious gap and Valverde looks to be weakening, then Adam/Simon have to get going. Just stay on Valv's wheel and force him to make the tactical decisions. He really wants to win this.

I suspect Movistar's tactics, otoh, are for Valverde to try to gain 10 seconds today with a late surge and plan something coordinated on Saturday. On the other, other hand, I could be completely wrong and they will try to take it all back today in coordination with Mas.

That may not be bad strategy if Valverde plans something with Mas.

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Inquitus said:
Vesica said:
So if Yates will keep his form, the three GT's will have three different (!) British winners :surprised:

Is this ever happened before, three different riders from the same country winning the three GT's?

It's also now 5 British winners in a row.

In 2008 Contador won Giro and Vuelta and Sastre took the Tour (3x Spanish with 2 riders)
In 1964 Anquetil took the Giro+Tour with Poulidor taking the Vuelta (3X France with 2 riders)

Both having 3 different riders win and 5 consecutive british victories is an absolute record. It's also a bit weird considering that the UK has basically no mountains at all. Probably the benefits of modern training and the presence of a team with a disproportionate budget in the field that accounts for 4 of the 5 victories.

Mozart92 said:
Both having 3 different riders win and 5 consecutive british victories is an absolute record. It's also a bit weird considering that the UK has basically no mountains at all. Probably the benefits of modern training and the presence of a team with a disproportionate budget in the field that accounts for 4 of the 5 victories.

Froome didn't grow up in Gloucestershire.

And the last non-British GT winner is from a country with even fewer mountains.

And Belgium are 2nd in the list of all-time Tour wins, and 4th all time in Grand Tours (behind the 3 host countries).

Mozart92 said:
In 2008 Contador won Giro and Vuelta and Sastre took the Tour (3x Spanish with 2 riders)
In 1964 Anquetil took the Giro+Tour with Poulidor taking the Vuelta (3X France with 2 riders)

Plenty of places where the road goes up (and steeply), especially in the North of England ans Wales

del1962 said:
Mozart92 said:

Plenty of places where the road goes up (and steeply), especially in the North of England ans Wales

We also have these things called aeroplanes (amongst other modes of transport) which allow us to get to real mountains really easily, even from a young age :D

brownbobby said:
del1962 said:
Mozart92 said:

We also have these things called aeroplanes (amongst other modes of transport) which allow us to get to real mountains really easily, even from a young age :D

You don’t even need airplanes, you could have driven to the north of Scotland and tackled the Bealach na ba :D

Actually thinking about it it people in England are maybe closer to the alps than they are closer to the big climbs in Scotland