• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win Ronde van Vlaanderen? (Flanders)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2009 Ronde van Vlaanderen?

• Other

Votes: 19 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I really want to say Hincape, but I just don't think he knows how to win it. So, I go for Tomke. He will get some payback for last weekend.

Yeah, probably right about Tom. I'd be very impressed if George wins though. It couldn't happen to a nicer rider.

This site is reporting that Lotto think they have no chance.
You would have thought Van Avermaet, Gilbert, Hoste et al, would have managed to win something by now.
No chance according to the old boss.

I think Rabo hold the key to this race.
However, It's hard to see past Boonan and I'm not sure Cervelo are a strong enough collective.
Look to the Orange men doing something similar to their Het Volk attack.
Nuyens, Flecha (can he ever get a finish right?) or my dark horse, Seb Langveld, could all upset the Quick step party.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know how well Boassan Hagen has been riding so far this season? He's someone like Matti Breschel, about due to steal a big race someday soon, and I notice he's High Road's #1 jersey in the start list. I'd also like to see Kroon make the right final move one of these days, he's certainly paid his dues.

I think Boasson Hagen is the no1 jersey for alphabetical reasons. From what I've seen he's been helping Hincapie and Burghardt a bit in the one day races and helping Cavendish with leadout work etc.

He's been racing most of these classics for the first time this year so he's still got lots to learn before he can become a force to be recconed with in RVV.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
I think Hincapie will win RvV. He said that his bike was a bit damaged during E3 so there is much more possible than this 8th place. He is in good form (e.g. Montelupone). My heart says Hincapie. I dont wanna see Boonen winning.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
dse1969 said:
Haussler & Boonen seem to be the two inform riders. I think they'll fight it out. Hoste, Nuyens & Devolder as per usual will show themselves but will again fall short.
I think Cadel had Silence Lotto's first win of the season in the last stage of Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali with the tight lunge over Cunego.

No chance as he will suck wheel as per usual.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Another sentimental vote for big George Hincapie:cool:

It could happen - he's super strong and quietly confident this season. He's been in the mix a lot lately, gaining all-important team suport, and clearly focused on the next 2 Sundays...

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
If you only added the obvious choices, it wouldn't be much of a poll. You have to add in a Davis or a Kroon to show the disparity between the favorites and others that might only have a slim chance.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
what about de ladeez?

Some strong GB riders in there for thsi Sunday's Ronde:

FENIXS
PL/DS GODART Marc
131 AUNE Karin
132 BOYARSKAYA Natalia
133 GODART Suzie
134 HARE WILLIANSON Catherine
135 HIERCKENS Corine
136 JUODVALKYTE Urte

VISION 1 RACING
PL/DS WYMAN Stefan
101 COOKE Nicole
102 WHITELAW Vicki
103 WYMAN Helen
104 VAN DE BERG Debby
105 FERRIER BRUNEAU Christel
106 VERHOEVEN Aurore

ESGL 93 - GSD GESTION
PL/DS VALETTE Gerard
181 THOMAS B?atrice
182 MAJERUS Christine
183 PATOU Estelle
184 COX Leda
185 LESUEUR M?lodie
186 CREUX Sophie

NATIONALE PLOEG GROOT-BRITTANIE
PL/DS COPE Simon
241 MARTIN Lucy
242 GREENFIELD Alexandra
243 COLCLOUGH Katie
244 ALLEN Jessica
245 LAST Annie
246 ROWSELL Joanna

The womens Ronde is just as tough if not as long.
If anyone's going to watch settle in early for the womens race and you'll see some great racing.
Most of the above will also be rididng the GP Dotignies the next day which is a super fast flat Belgian UCI race.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
2wheels said:
Anyone know how well Boassan Hagen has been riding so far this season? He's someone like Matti Breschel, about due to steal a big race someday soon, and I notice he's High Road's #1 jersey in the start list. I'd also like to see Kroon make the right final move one of these days, he's certainly paid his dues.
2009 Results:
2nd in Trofeo Inca, Bunyola (ESP)
3rd in General Classification Challenge Mallorca (ESP)
2nd in Trofeo Calvia, Palmanova (ESP)
4th in Monte Paschi Eroica, Siena (ITA)
8th in Stage 5 Tirreno - Adriatico, Loreto (ITA)

ingsve said:
I think Boasson Hagen is the no1 jersey for alphabetical reasons. From what I've seen he's been helping Hincapie and Burghardt a bit in the one day races and helping Cavendish with leadout work etc.

He's been racing most of these classics for the first time this year so he's still got lots to learn before he can become a force to be recconed with in RVV.
+1 on what you said.

Columbia will loosen the reins and let him run later on in some of the lesser stage races.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Columbia looks like they're ready to fight. Well, they have to I guess because of Hincapie. But most of his team could easily step in as the leader when George eventually gives up.

There's pave in NoDak?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Again with Tommeke?

LugHugger said:
if Dwars door Vlaanderen is any indication of form, then I believe that Tomeke will win RvV. It pains me to say it, but the form that he showed working for his team mates makes me think that he's building to peak for RvV and P-R. Not very imaginative this prediction, I know, but the boy's looking in good form.

I agree that picking Boonen is kind of safe and boring but as long as he's in good form there's just no reason not to. Maybe only Pozzato can beat him. For Roubaix this might be Hincapie's best chance ever. No Cancellara, O'Grady and Ballan isnt in form. I just hope it rains, there's nothing like a wet Hell.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pozzato was looking really strong today, so was Maaskant, though he missed the break. I'm thinking he's up for an even better Paris-Roubaix this year, and who knows, with a bit of luck he'll be in the final of Flanders as well.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Not so much talk about Gilbert, I like his chances this week, it's why he moved to Lotto to give themselves a better chance in the spring...and Lotto would definetly love this one.

TRENDING THREADS