• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2013 Giro? Final poll

?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Wiggins
Nibbs / Hesjedal +3'30-4'30

I for myself will root for Gesink, Hesjedal and Wiggo's MTF win because I really consider him a superclimber. :D

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have big hopes for the Giro this year. Voted Nibali, though Wiggins still is the biggest favourite in my mind. My hope is that the Skytrain derails on one or two big mountains, leaving Wiggins isolated.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
On current form and the fact that Wiggins has done very little not to mention not winning a race so far this year in comparison to his tour form last year I have voted for Nibali.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Oddly enough people should bet on Vincenzo now even more given Trentino, but... Apparently the stage Kostyan owned made a disadvantageous impression to them. :p

Waterloo Sunrise said:
That would be an 80th percentile result for Nibali - possible but unlikely.
In the TTT he's not likely to lose more than 10 seconds or so. The longer TT suits him in the sense that it's technical, a few difficult descents with switchbacks, lots of uphill. And in the uphill TT he lost half a minute to Contador the last time, so that will be 20 seconds max to Wiggins.

3 minutes might not be too far off the mark.

theyoungest said:
In the TTT he's not likely to lose more than 10 seconds or so. The longer TT suits him in the sense that it's technical, a few difficult descents with switchbacks, lots of uphill. And in the uphill TT he lost half a minute to Contador the last time, so that will be 20 seconds max to Wiggins.

3 minutes might not be too far off the mark.

He lost 3 minutes 40 in a shorter TT last GT they raced - technical or no I struggle to believe the median possibility is 2:30 loss or less.

The MTT is longer than the one you compare to, has some flatter sections and is at a gradient which you could almost pick as ideal for Wiggins. I'm pretty agnostic on gap there to be honest, but if Wiggins is still in control by that stage of the race, I could see a pretty big win quite easily.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I suppose the relief of long TT is secondary. The longer it is — the more it suits Wiggins. As for mountain TT it is not difficult and on any relatively power sections, up to 7-8%, Wiggins will have a significant edge. Total 3 minutes would be a real feat for Nibali. It is very interesting how Hesjedal goes TTs compared to Nibali.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure anymore about the certainty that Wiggins will win this Giro. He's still a top favorite but he hasn't shown much this season. Still, this is his big objective for this season, he will most certainly have a decent advantage after the TT and he has his army of Skyborgs.
Nibali on the other hand has won two stage races this season, his Astana team looks also very strong and with his aggressive race style he might take some time and boni seconds in a number of mountain stages.
So, 50/50 for me but I think the TT's will create bigger gaps then a number of MTF's so Wiggo it is.

TRENDING THREADS