• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2013 Giro? Final poll

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
What I've seen from Gesink in the past 2 years, I am surprised he is even mentioned in the poll. He doesn't look like a climber at all. And he just doesn't seem like the fighter he once was.

Happy for him to prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath :p
He's become pretty unpredictable. Last year in the queen stage of the Vuelta he was dropped from a group of 30 riders. This year in the queen stage in Catalunya he got 5th. Betting on him for a podium does indeed seem quite premature.

JRanton said:
Vino thinks Wiggins is using the Giro as preparation for the Tour and that he isn't a serious contender. He lists Scarponi, Hesjedal and Gesink as the main challengers to Nibali.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=61583
If you look at how seriously Wiggo approached the Giro del Trentino, I think Vino is wrong.

theyoungest said:
He's become pretty unpredictable. Last year in the queen stage of the Vuelta he was dropped from a group of 30 riders. This year in the queen stage in Catalunya he got 5th. Betting on him for a podium does indeed seem quite premature.

If you look at how seriously Wiggo approached the Giro del Trentino, I think Vino is wrong.

Funny you should say that because I didn't think Sky and Wiggins approached it very seriously it all. They were messing about really. Didn't pull the break back on stage 1, sent Siutsou up the road on stage 3, Cataldo on stage 4 and Wiggins was sitting miles back in the bunch on the climbs.

JRanton said:
Funny you should say that because I didn't think Sky and Wiggins approached it very seriously it all. They were messing about really. Didn't pull the break back on stage 1, sent Siutsou up the road on stage 3, Cataldo on stage 4 and Wiggins was sitting miles back in the bunch on the climbs.
Did you see him on the final stage? He was pretty pi$$ed off when he had the mechanical, and then spent the entire climb chasing. It seemed like he had something to prove.

I don't mean he desperately wanted to win that race, but he certainly wanted to gauge his form against Nibali's.

theyoungest said:
Did you see him on the final stage? He was pretty pi$$ed off when he had the mechanical, and then spent the entire climb chasing. It seemed like he had something to prove.

I don't mean he desperately wanted to win that race, but he certainly wanted to gauge his form against Nibali's.
Obviously he [Sir Wiggo] has no idea how to ride without a train. He'll be exposed sooner, rather than later.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
JRanton said:
Vino thinks Wiggins is using the Giro as preparation for the Tour and that he isn't a serious contender. He lists Scarponi, Hesjedal and Gesink as the main challengers to Nibali.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=61583

Maybe some truth in that, but it takes an active imagination to see Gesink challenging ftw at the moment.

Actually reading that Google translated, he basically says Wiggins might not be that committed to winning the Giro, but you can't rule him out.

His omitting Evans and Sanchez and mentioning Gesink is simply unrealistic though.

Is it really that unrealistic to mention Sanchez? He was tru gc contender back in 2009 and 2010. He had a weaker performance in 2011 and crashed out last year. In 2009-2010 shape he would be able to outperform Nibali, Wiggins and Hesjedal of course. Okay he's 35 now, but so nearly was Leipheimer when he rode his magical Vuelta in 2008. I'm not saying that Sanchez will be a major contender for the overall victory, but I wouldn't be that arrogant to call it totally impossible.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm posting excessively atm, but yup potentially. On this year's results he could be a top 3 climber in the race, but presumably his long TT will be horrible, and he has no promising results in 3 week races yet.

If Wiggins is really going for the overall, will we see a train pedaling up towards the mountains once again? Do you think in that case, Sky might give freedom to breakaway riders in the mountains like in last years tour with Voeckler?

If yes, who's our candidate for winning several mountain stages and the blue jersey due to some pretty entertaining escapes? Santa might be a good bet, but he wants to target the gc.

Maybe Rabotini, Garzelli or Di Luca? Emanuele Sella? What about Pieter Weening? Any other suggests? Jhon Atapuma seems to be in bad shape, but you never know.

Pozzovivo could be a candidate if he's struggling with his fractures and out of the gc in the first week. But in that case, based on history I see him more likely abandon.

gustienordic said:
Dont think so, maybe top 10... There is a solid top 5, we just don't know the order yet :)

Yes, on paper Wiggins (If not in super shape like in the tour), Nibali (If not suddenly super improved at Astana), Hesjedal, Sanchez (If back in decent shape) and Pellizotti (If back near his 2009 level) all look very very close to each other. Add Betancur to that who showed great abilities and explosiveness already in the Ardennes and based on his Baby Giro success should be able to handle the recovery. That would make 6 riders on equal level. Without Gesink and Scarponi, but maybe one of this two isn't totally dead.

That's doesn't look great for a Top 5 spot for Santa and he maybe should better target the maglia azzuro.

But it's with the if's. In reality either Wiggins will be back on 2012 level or Nibali will be suddenly turbo improved at Astana, from my point of view. I would still take some risks and put my money on Pellizotti and Androni then to take it. But in fact it's not unlikely that Hesjedal is just weaker than Wiggins or Nibali and that Sanchez isn't able to get back his old level with 35 and Pellizotti is just a candidate for spot 4-7, but no longer for the overall and Betancur would get some problems in the last stages which let him drop from a potentially podium spot down. In that case Santa could snap a Top 5 spot, if he's still all-right.

But it's if if if pure speculation. And even then, it could be that suddenly Gesink and Scarponi are back in the run. So it's difficult to say what are Santa's chances from my point of view.

TRENDING THREADS