• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 GIRO?

• Other/Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Wrong, Gesink can't just keep up for 3 weeks. Nothing to do with consistency ;) more with keeiping up. ;)

Is he a grand tour rider or a week long stage race rider with one big mountain finish just Tour of Oman or California?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
No actually I am 190cm and used to be only 70kg for a few years, now I'm skinny for sure, but nothing unhealthy. (I'm almost 75kg now :p) BMI is just fine for 190cm and 70kg.

maybe to you it is. to me it's skin and bones. depends of on your "referentiekader". bmi is bull***** anyway

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
maybe to you it is. to me it's skin and bones. depends of on your "referentiekader". bmi is bull***** anyway

Considering a cyclist must have some proper leg muscles, and muscle tissue is heavier than fat tissue, a 190 cm cyclist who weighs 70 kg will have quite some less fat compared to a 190 cm 70 kg "normal" person and therefore more skin and bones than a normal person.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hidache said:
Considering a cyclist must have some proper leg muscles, and muscle tissue is heavier than fat tissue, a 190 cm cyclist who weighs 70 kg will have quite some less fat compared to a 190 cm 70 kg "normal" person and therefore more skin and bones than a normal person.

yes indeed. also if you've ever seen a cyclist in person in his clothing you know how thin they are

Dazed and Confused said:
Well, from my side the only thing disappointing is the lack of Gesink actually trash taking a couple of other riders. Would have started the season on the right note.
I can't deny I was excited about the Gesink's trash talking. ;)

theyoungest said:
She used a full stop, where you read a colon. That's it. Maybe you need to learn how to read propery to avoid misunderstandings ;)
Right, a colon was the issue. I was reading too fast. Kudos for not being condescending or insulting. Maybe you should be a mod. :D

cineteq said:
I can't deny I was excited about the Gesink's trash talking. ;)

Right, a colon was the issue. I was reading too fast. Kudos for not being condescending or insulting. Maybe you should be a mod. :D

Them pesky colons! No problem, I understand where you were coming from now.

I agree it would have been a lot more exciting if Gesink had been trash talking though. ;)

If we are talking about Nibali v.S Gesink as main contenders (Although there still is Wiggins of course) we seriously shouldn't underestimate Franco Pellizotti! He was the main favorite back in 2010 and Savio has mostly put out some strong performances in Italy.

Dazed and Confused said:
J-Rod by not going to the Giro is making a major mistake. He would be a joint favorite to win this year. In contrast he has almost zero chance of winning the tour. Who gives a s.h.i.t about podium placements if one can take the win in a major race such as the Giro.
yeah... it's really a poor decision.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
J-Rod by not going to the Giro is making a major mistake. He would be a joint favorite to win this year. In contrast he has almost zero chance of winning the tour. Who gives a s.h.i.t about podium placements if one can take the win in a major race such as the Giro.
I just can't imagine Rodriguez fighting for the victory in Giro with a tt of 55,5k's. Even if it was a hilly one, it's too much for him.
The Tour is better race for him this year, but far from ideal.
He should target Vuelta again. That's the race by his measure.

serfla said:
I just can't imagine Rodriguez fighting for the victory in Giro with a tt of 55,5k's. Even if it was a hilly one, it's too much for him.
and by doing the Tour he won't win the Vuelta, that's for sure.

Dazed and Confused said:
You could argue that the course of this year's Tour is more suited to him than this year's Giro. Of course bonus seconds change it a bit.

In theorie he should be able to win about 6 stages + general classification if he heads to the Vuelta (hyperbole). He just decided to go to the Tour and he should have a good chance for a top 3 spot if he's as close to Contador as in last years Vuelta.

But I don't see a fail in not riding the Giro this year. There will be a long time trail and there will be strong competition with Wiggins, Nibali, Pellizotti, Sanchez and Gesink. There's no need for Purito to attempt in Italy from my point of view.

serfla said:

meh, Giro much better opportunity than the Tour.
Bonus secs plus numerous uphill/MTFs in Italy will give J-Rod a real shot at the title.

Tour with a flat TT (33km) and a hilly one (32km) will put J-Rod on the back foot with no easy way to get time back as there are no bonus secs available. I would put his chance of winning the race at below 5%.

He can take on the Vuelta regardless of choosing the Giro or the Tour.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
and by doing the Tour he won't win the Vuelta, that's for sure.
Probably.
But I think he's not a rider who can reach top form by preparing for a single race whole season. Especially if it's at the end of summer. He's leaving impression that he's at his best when he has lots of racing in his legs.
His ambition to fight for the Yellow jersey might dearly cost him, although this year's edition looks like the best possible for him, I must admit.
It could cost him in some victories and professional reputation.

Eshnar said:
If he takes the Tour as a training ride yes. If he goes for the podium there, he'll fail at the Vuelta, unless he became a robot this winter.

That's why I said in theory = if he would focus on the Vuelta (In fact he isn't).

But I don't think it's totally impossible to do a Tour + Vuelta combo this year. I wouldn't rate a high-quality rider like Contador/Rodriguez with the Tour in his legs, lower than a Cobo or Anton peaking for the Vuelta! If another guy gets his breakthrough at the Vuelta it's a different story of course.

Talking about the Giro again. What do you think could we expect of the Ag2R duo? Could Betancur or Pozzovivo surprisingly be able to have a shot at the podium? I don't know much about the time trail abilities of Betancur. Is he capable to climb well 3 weeks also or do you think at the current point of his career he is more a classics rider.

theyoungest said:
You could argue that the course of this year's Tour is more suited to him than this year's Giro. Of course bonus seconds change it a bit.

I accept some would see it that way, but I disagree. J-Rod would have no way of getting time back using his main weapon: uphill/MTFs sprints to the line. Winning the tour would require J-Rod to ride like he has never done before. Long distance attacks and probably often. In contrast he can chip away at the deficit in the Giro doing what he does best and plan one big attack to size the jersey at some point.

Winning the Tour would require Wiggins, Froome, Contador and probbaly Andy to fail along the way. Can't see it happening.

Dazed and Confused said:
meh, Giro much better opportunity than the Tour.
Bonus secs plus numerous uphill/MTFs in Italy will give J-Rod a real shot at the title.

Tour with a flat TT (33km) and a hilly one (32km) will put J-Rod on the back foot with no easy way to get time back as there are no bonus secs available. I would put his chance of winning the race at below 5%.

He can take on the Vuelta regardless of choosing the Giro or the Tour.
Last year's Giro course was better for him, I think we can all agree. And he didn't win. Now with Wiggo there's a guy who will take at least 5 minutes on him in the time trials... how on earth is he going to win those back?

Status
Not open for further replies.