• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round)

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 GIRO?

• Other/Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
theyoungest said:
There's a 30 k flat time trial, and a 30 k hilly one. Purito lost only 1 minute to Contador in a 40 k (!) hilly TT in the Vuelta. According to the descriptions, the one in the Tour is at least as hard.

I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

well, just by those numbers it sounds more like 4 mins to Wiggins in the tour overall. And I don't agree J-Rod will lose 6 mins in the Giro TT's. Anyway I don't think we can get closer. Final word is yours.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
staubsauger said:
As I mentioned earlier: Franco Pellizotti

(I rate him higher than Basso, Scarponi or Hesjedal)
4 years since the last GT he rode... Long time.
But if he manages to reach level of before the pause, he could be dangerous.
I wouldn't rate him above Hesjedal and Basso.
Speaking of Hesjedal, I'm rating him high because he's defending champion, but I'm not convinced he can repeat last year's performance. Can't say it was a fluke, GT is hardly won by a fluke, but it was an extraordinary result. He needs couple of GT podiums more to be considered as a GT force in my eyes.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Can't believe how people like you still hardly rate Hesjedal.

His Giro victory is far more worth than for instance Nibali's Vuelta win. The field was much stronger and the race much harder. :confused:

Agree. The guy's got a big engine and will be tough to beat.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Can't believe how people like you still hardly rate Hesjedal.

His Giro victory is far more worth than for instance Nibali's Vuelta win. The field was much stronger and the race much harder. :confused:
Can't agree.
Famous GT rider De Gendt was third. That can't be treated as indicator of strong field or hard race.
Let's wait and see.

serfla said:
Can't agree.
Famous GT rider De Gendt was third. That can't be treated as indicator of strong field or hard race.
Let's wait and see.
De Gendt was only 3rd because the favorite group went 0km/h hours in the downhill/flat part of the Stelvio.

He was only the 8th/9th strongest rider in the race.

And Nibali's podium finishers in the Vuelta were Mosquera and P.Velits for crying out loud

Dekker_Tifosi said:
De Gendt was only 3rd because the favorite group went 0km/h hours in the downhill/flat part of the Stelvio.

He was only the 8th/9th strongest rider in the race.

And Nibali's podium finishers in the Vuelta were Mosquera and P.Velits for crying out loud

He was at least better than Cunego otherwise Damiano would've won that stage and maybe even the whole Giro ;)

And I'm still a bit ****ed of none of Cunego's attacks payed out. He was at least the only one of the big names to take some risk.

And Nibali beat Mosquera who was around there at the Top of the Vuelta some years already and Velits just rode a fantastic grand tour that year (although he seems to remain as a one hit wonder). He also beat Rodriguez and I highly doubt Anton would've had that Vuelta in his pocket without his crash, now.

He beat a tired from TDF 2010 Rodriguez yeah... (look at how Froome handled the TDF/Vuelta combi...)

I'm sorry but the Vuelta 2010 was one of the weakest GT in recent history. Somewhat like a Savoldelli Giro-win. Nibali's 3rd place in the Tour last year was of much much higher quality than his Vuelta win... I even rate Nibali's 3rd (or 2nd, if you don't count Contador) place in the Giro as higher/better than that Vuelta.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He beat a tired from TDF 2010 Rodriguez yeah... (look at how Froome handled the TDF/Vuelta combi...)

I'm sorry but the Vuelta 2010 was one of the weakest GT in recent history. Somewhat like a Savoldelli Giro-win. Nibali's 3rd place in the Tour last year was of much much higher quality than his Vuelta win... I even rate Nibali's 3rd (or 2nd, if you don't count Contador) place in the Giro as higher/better than that Vuelta.

I don't rate his 2010 Vuelta win high either. Look at Anton being the best in the mountains there and what he performed since (except @Monte Zoncolan). Just for the record I wish Anton all the best to have a shot at this years Vuelta. He's a bit like the Felipe Massa of professional cycling for me.

But I don't rate Hesjedal's giro win against soft pedaling competitors high, too. In fact the way il Falco managed to defend his maglia rosa at the Colle dellle Finestre stage was much more impressive than Hesjedal's whole giro (And I know Paolo had to give a big thank you to Mauricio Ardillia back then).

And there's still the fluke of Pantani going around. Nobody wins the Giro back 2 back since il pirata wasn't allowed to do so in 99. Not Simoni in 2002/2004, not Cunego in 2005 etc .

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Even that giro had weaknesses. Notably the way he was dropped a long way from the end on Marmolada and then again really struggled at the top of Finnestre.

Maybe its a distance thing because as i recall Finnestre came 200k on stgae 20, and the Gardeccia stage was 230k so around the 200k mark he cracked there too. Meanwhile on Zoncolan 150k he was hanging tough with Contador.

Giro 2010 is probably the best Nibali has been. The fact that he dropped Evans near the top of Grappa, and that he Basso and Scarponi flew away from him on Mortirolo are the 2 things that keep me thinking that Nibali is one of the great gt riders. and even then he was worse than Scarponi.

staubsauger said:
I don't rate his 2010 Vuelta win high either. Look at Anton being the best in the mountains there and what he performed since (except @Monte Zoncolan). Just for the record I wish Anton all the best to have a shot at this years Vuelta. He's a bit like the Felipe Massa of professional cycling for me.

But I don't rate Hesjedal's giro win against soft pedaling competitors high, too. In fact the way il Falco managed to defend his maglia rosa at the Colle dellle Finestre stage was much more impressive than Hesjedal's whole giro (And I know Paolo had to give a big thank you to Mauricio Ardillia back then).

And there's still the fluke of Pantani going around. Nobody wins the Giro back 2 back since il pirata wasn't allowed to do so in 99. Not Simoni in 2002/2004, not Cunego in 2005 etc .

Yeah but as i posted in the original thread this happens every 20 years.

1952 Coppi
1953 Coppi

1972 Merckx
1973 Merckx

1992 Indurain
1993 Indurain

2012 Hejsedal.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ah, the inevitable weak field argument of CN forums. If I invented a time machine and had Merckx, Hinault, Coppi, Bartoli, Anquetil, Indurain, Armstrong, Pantani, Ullrich all at the Tour in their peak years, some of you guys would still say the field was weak...

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a new favourite :p
vuelta-2011-st21-bradley-wiggins-chris-froome_2649961.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS