• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2020 Giro? (Rest day 1 edition)

Who will win the Giro?

• Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • Wilco Kelderman

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • Domenico Pozzovivo

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Rafal Majka

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • João Almeida

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • HERMANN PERNSTEINER

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Vino

Votes: 10 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nibali is still the biggest favourite. That he would lose time today against the more explosive climbers like Fuglsang and Kelderman is not a surprise. I do think that Kruijswijk is slower than usual to get his engine running this year, which to me suggests that he is perhaps not quite there this year. The uncertainty of how Fuglsang and Keldermann will cope with the extreme stages in the third week is what makes Nibali the favourite. So, to sum up, Nibali is mostly the favourite because he is the only rider that I am confident will not crack at any point.

Nibali is still the biggest favourite. That he would lose time today against the more explosive climbers like Fuglsang and Kelderman is not a surprise. I do think that Kruijswijk is slower than usual to get his engine running this year, which to me suggests that he is perhaps not quite there this year. The uncertainty of how Fuglsang and Keldermann will cope with the extreme stages in the third week is what makes Nibali the favourite. So, to sum up, Nibali is mostly the favourite because he is the only rider that I am confident will not crack at any point.
Yes, and the fact that he was one of the 3 strongest on the only 50 minute climb they did so far too. And I still trust him to at least nail Kelderman in a big descent somewhere if it really comes down to it.

I still think the 3rd week mountains suit Nibali and Kruijswijk the most. And although Kruijswijk lost more time than Nibali so far I'm still quietly confident of his 3rd week. So I voted Kruijswijk.
If not him, than Nibali.

Although I love to see Kelderman winning, I don't see it happening. He's also not the best when it comes to GT consistency and always has at least a 'lesser' day where he loses a minute or 2, which is too much if you want to win.
Same with Fuglsang btw

Kelderman IMO. Nibali is a huge question mark and Fuglsang doesn't have a team for the high mountains.

Sunweb should go full Jumbo in the Tour if they showed some willingness to lead.

Matthews could be the Giro's Wout if they stepped up. There are 3 or 4 stages that Matthews can survive that could cause even Sagan some problems. (10, 13, 16 and perhaps 12)

Reactions: Sandisfan
No obvious favourite for me. Was thinking Fuglsang before Vlasov and Lopez crashed, but now the most likely scenario for me is Nibali forcing a major error out of someone in the third week - if we can get to the true mountains.

Kruiswijk looks slightly off the pace to me, while Kelderman's team has been very good. IMHO Kelderman is just as likely to totally fumble and barely make the top 10 as he is to push on and win. Almeida has been good so far but not seeing him hold on.

I'd really love to see it come down to the likes of McNulty and Hindley, with the changing of the guard continuing but not sure they're on that kind of level yet. Really wishing Haig hadn't lost time.

Kelderman IMO. Nibali is a huge question mark and Fuglsang doesn't have a team for the high mountains.

Sunweb should go full Jumbo in the Tour if they showed some willingness to lead.

Matthews could be the Giro's Wout if they stepped up. There are 3 or 4 stages that Matthews can survive that could cause even Sagan some problems. (10, 13, 16 and perhaps 12)

Astana team is basically non-existent, but the Etna stage and today's stage really make me think that none of the contenders are going to have any help at the end of these high mountain stages, at which point if they are all level on time it's going to come down to who has the best individual legs.

Voted for Fuglsang to finally deliver but not very confident. I still hope Nibali can pull it off. Glad there is optimism for him here after today's stage. Yes of course Nibali always shines in the 3rd week and count him out at at your peril. But Kelderman is only 29 and Fuglsang a late bloomer so it will be interesting. As an Aussie I am happy to see Jay Hindley in the mix another GC rider to cheer for. He's only 24 so that is rather exciting.

TRENDING THREADS