• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Tour 2013 - Wiggins or Contador?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
airstream said:
Yes, they would have pushed 600 watts and got off the ground...

With such TT abilities and team, no realistic climbing tempo could have made Wiggins panic in this year's Tour. It's simple like an axiom. But there are still plenty people who like to underrate Sky. Strange thing is why almost all of them are fans of one rider. :)

From one Schleck fan to another, although you were late to arrive on the scene. Try and stop being a complete t#t now and again. And pretty please get the f##k off the Sky bandwagon in an attempt to undernine AC.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
willbick said:
jesus christ. some of the ****e talked about wiggins on this forum cant be believed. what a bunch of miserable sour old gits. how can any sane person claim that wiggins isnt a) currently the best TTer and b) one of the best climbers?? the idea that someone like schleck would put wiggins and the skytrain in trouble in the mountains is just a joke.

and why do u have this notion that it is impossible to improve as a cyclist without taking a load of EPO?? martin used to be a better TTer than wiggins, then wiggins worked his **** off and martin had some bad luck with crashes and stuff, so wiggins became a better TTer. its not that hard to understand.

one final thought. when was the last tour de france winner who DID NOT LOSE A SINGLE SECOND of time to any serious GC rival????

LOL. Another rational person.

willbick said:
and why do u have this notion that it is impossible to improve as a cyclist without taking a load of EPO?? martin used to be a better TTer than wiggins, then wiggins worked his **** off and martin had some bad luck with crashes and stuff, so wiggins became a better TTer. its not that hard to understand.

?

Again this discussion belongs in the clinic, but your - rider a is clean because rider a proved he won clean, argument, has a very obvious flaw at its heart. See if you can work it out ;)

robert_c said:
I'm going out on a limb and predicting an Andy Schleck win. If he doesn't win a GT in 2013, IMHO his career is over.

If Andy has been shocked into a winter of training and dedication of pre TDF racing he will have a chance. But unfortunately for him, Alberto will be there, so it will be difficult to say the least. If both arrive in form, forget anyone from Sky.

ferryman said:
If Andy has been shocked into a winter of training and dedication of pre TDF racing he will have a chance. But unfortunately for him, Alberto will be there, so it will be difficult to say the least. If both arrive in form, forget anyone from Sky.

As the current situation is now he has very few options but this.

willbick said:
jesus christ. some of the ****e talked about wiggins on this forum cant be believed. what a bunch of miserable sour old gits. how can any sane person claim that wiggins isnt a) currently the best TTer and b) one of the best climbers?? the idea that someone like schleck would put wiggins and the skytrain in trouble in the mountains is just a joke.

There is only one joke here IMO.The very man who claimed a few days ago that anyone who thought AC could beat Purito knew absolutely ***k all about cycling.Yip, gotcha.A fit Andy Schleck could put Wiggins in trouble on any mountain.Fact.Let's see how your legendary Sky train goes in the mountains against Contador with Roche,CAS and other good domestiques at his side.I'll tell you already, they'll get blown away,Wiggins wont even be leader cos he knows he would get embarrassed on a mountainous TDF parcours next year.As for Wiggins versus Schleck,did you see the Galibier stage TDF 2011? Nope,thought not.

ggusta said:
I don't know how this thread started out, but I just read the last couple pages and don't see any point in visiting it again for any reason.

It seems to have been started by someone who was promptly banned for being a returning troll ;)

A proper thread about the 2013 Tour offering a wider list of contenders may be handy.

Telmisartan new said:
There is only one joke here IMO.The very man who claimed a few days ago that anyone who thought AC could beat Purito knew absolutely ***k all about cycling.Yip, gotcha.A fit Andy Schleck could put Wiggins in trouble on any mountain.Fact.Let's see how your legendary Sky train goes in the mountains against Contador with Roche,CAS and other good domestiques at his side.I'll tell you already, they'll get blown away,Wiggins wont even be leader cos he knows he would get embarrassed on a mountainous TDF parcours next year.As for Wiggins versus Schleck,did you see the Galibier stage TDF 2011? Nope,thought not.

When Froome was still fresh in the first week of this Vuelta we saw what happened when the Sky train set the pace on Jaca. Froome attacked and Contador was dropped. Let that be a warning to you for the 2013 Tour de France.

cineteq said:
You have a great sense of humor. :D

I'm only pointing out the facts. Go back and take a look at that stage thread. Most of the AC fanboys had thrown the towel in. Froome faded after the first week of course but it's not like he and Sky haven't shown they can hold their level throughout a grand tour is it? Imagine what it's going to be like for AC when Froome and Sky are able to perform like that on every key stage in next year's Tour. Carnage.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:
I'm only pointing out the facts. Go back and take a look at that stage thread. Most of the AC fanboys had thrown the towel in. Froome faded after the first week of course but it's not like he and Sky haven't shown they can hold their level throughout a grand tour is it? Imagine what it's going to be like for AC when Froome and Sky are able to perform like that on every key stage in next year's Tour. Carnage.
Yep, its not like Contador lacked a bit of race fitness and has improved over this Vuelta.

The Sky train is not going to drop Contador. In fact, if they try that tactic the chances are they will burn their riders and help out Saxo and Alberto.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
JRanton said:
When Froome was still fresh in the first week of this Vuelta we saw what happened when the Sky train set the pace on Jaca. Froome attacked and Contador was dropped. Let that be a warning to you for the 2013 Tour de France.

You do know that Contador was dropped there because he cramped, right?

Jason_Mercier said:
Wow. One person thinks like me:D Sky is underrated, will be a hard opponent for Contador the next year. A very hard opponent. And for that who thinks Wiggo will ride the Giro, Sky have signed Cataldo. Why? Because they want a leader for the Giro. So Dario probably will be the captain in Italy.

I would have thought Porte would be ( if Wiggins does not ride the Giro ).

I would prefer if neither of them won. The Vuelta has been a strange race with many riders at different levels of preparation and it's almost impossible to compare these performances against what might happen in the Tour. Of course Contador has been the standout with limited racing kms in his legs along with Rodriguez. Very good rides also by Valverde and Moreno. Froome has a lost a lot of time but he has still done well in a really hard race. Gesink should also be happy to finish a grand tour knowing he can improve a lot more.

Next year's Tour is up for grabs. Contador will be favourite obviously. Wiggins has improved his climbing a lot but he has the job ahead of him and depending on TT kms could miss the podium especially if Rodriguez, Froome and Andy are in form and climbing well. All the same I can't see Wiggins riding the Giro as some have suggested. I still have doubts about Andy. His injury and his psychology but you never know, the problems with his brother might motivate him ! Hard to see riders like Evans, Basso, Menchov or Hejesdal making the podium next year. Should be the last Tour for three of them unless they opt for the Giro. Evans obviously won't.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
For me, the two big unknowns are the parcours (obviously), and Wiggins' level of dedication.

Wiggins has shown repeatedly that he can dedicate himself to a very high (possibly obsessive) level for a period of one to two years in order to win Olympics or TdF. He has so far never followed this up the following year - the 2009 TdF being something that was not targetted. Is he prepared to go away from his family again for so long and work so hard?

Contador though we know can dedicate himself year after year, though sensibly in most years he takes time away from competition after the tour.

For me, the fact that Wiggins is still riding is a sign that he is not going to be so ready for the tour next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him announce a new focus on the spring classics and maybe PR - but he won't decide until the tour route is announced.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
i'd point out froome anyways. to me, his the 2012 tour form is even sort of new standart of strength in the gt. he restrained himself, possibly being by far stronger climber in the race. he clearly realize he wouldn't be that strong in the 3rd in the vuelta, but this fact didn't confuse him at all. remember say his overly audacious move on gallina when he was blowing straight from the first position. froome obviously doesn't acknowledge any authorities among riders. and he will сommit terrible things being on form.

JRanton said:

A warning to me? Do you know absolutely anything about cycling,i suspect not.A whole bunch of people who have just discovered the sport think all there is out there is Sky and their train.A guy i talk to bet me a not insignificant amount of money Froome would demolish Contador at this Vuelta,i am counting my cash on that one as we speak.The strongest team at next year's Tour in my view will be Saxo,Sky had a one-off TDF this year, route suited TT's like Wiggins/Froome and the competition was minus some of the top boys,anyone thinks that's going to happen every year is deluded and that's without even mentioning anything i cannot post in here.Contador has never been dropped by Sky EVER, nor will he be.He cramped up at Jaca as has already been said.I am not even an AC fanboy, merely a realist.Wake up.

JRanton said:
I'm only pointing out the facts. Go back and take a look at that stage thread. Most of the AC fanboys had thrown the towel in.

How can you expect anyone to take anything you write seriously if you are going to claim most contador fans threw in the towel for contador the day he lost 13 seconds.

A simple scroll through the contador thread and the race threads from that day will reveal that you just made that up.

And if you are backing up what arguments you make with stuff you randomly make up, well.than we can tell before you post that its all going to be crap.

TRENDING THREADS