• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Tour de France this year?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Tour de France 2011?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have yet to see Tony Martin put in an attack like Gesink did in many, many mountain stages over the past years, or win a race like Emilia/Montreal in the way he did. If anything, Martin is the prototype of the boring rider who follows in the mountain stages and strikes in the time trials. :eek:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I have yet to see Tony Martin put in an attack like Gesink did in many, many mountain stages over the past years, or win a race like Emilia/Montreal in the way he did. If anything, Martin is the prototype of the boring rider who follows in the mountain stages and strikes in the time trials. :eek:

I didn't mean the racing but the personne. Gesink might be a nice guy, but really he has no charisma, or anything intersting on him what so ever. His anti athletic skeletton physics doesn't help either. Really outside Holland nobody cares about him. Not wanting to hurt anyone, but that's just what it is.

Bavarianrider said:
I didn't mean the racing but the personne. Gesink might be a nice guy, but really he has no charisma, or anything intersting on him what so ever. His anti athletic skeletton physics doesn't help either. Really outside Holland nobody cares about him. Not wanting to hurt anyone, but that's just what it is.
Scarponi has 0 charisma, and was 2nd on the Giro. Don't really get what your point is :confused:

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:

Thanks to you, no one outside Germany really cares about Martin either. ;)

Bavarianrider said:

You're right about that, he is a farmers boy after all. He won't be the guy with strong words or causing any stir.

But I don't think that Tony Martin is a particularly charismatic guy either. Very humble

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I'd like a link to where I hype Gesink up, without factual evidence of performance. :) Please enlighten me...

I have made jokes, like in the post you quoted that gesink is a superstar, but I make no claim that Gesink is going to blow the competition away.

It ticks me off that when someone else makes negative posts about a rider, and you argue back, you are labelled a fanboy. I stand by the notion that I haven't been delusional when discussing Gesink. Again if you can find a post where I made a ridiculous hype or statement regarding gesink please show me. I'll only discuss the guy if he has been mentioned by another poster.

However I agree the discussions regarding him have been a bit much lately.

chill up bro . . . . right after i posted i added "to a certain degree"

pfff f*ck if i care anyway

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
@ Parrulo, don't be offended, didn't mean to be aggressive (maybe I came off like that) :eek: just find the hyping claims odd

Bavarianrider said:

Melbourne baby. And I care :p
Theory de-bunked :eek:

Anyway you really are clutching at straws today.

First Post to down size gesink.
He placed well once, but this young guy is no guarantee to get it again.
Second attempt:
He has no charisma. NO CHARISMA!!!

I eagerly await you next one attempt.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:

Gesink does remind me of Rasmussen whenever I see him. Though a bit nicer to look at(in a non homo-erotic way)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
not offended you just overreacted a bit even tho i am some1 who is on your side on this one and was mostly joking on that post :p

I tend to post in an aggressive manner which I don't always mean :eek:
I don't mind it tho, I just look like a bad as$ :cool: :eek:

---

Anywhu, when will we find out if ac rides or not ?

Bavarianrider said:
Gesink seems like a guy who hit his limitations when he finished 6th last year. But just because he did it once, that does not automatically mean he will do it again this year.

What basis are you using to back up this belief that a rider in their mid 20's with their first full shot at riding the Tour "seems like a guy who hit his limitation when he finished 6th...."? Your response should prove to be quite entertaining.:D

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I tend to post in an aggressive manner which I don't always mean :eek:
I don't mind it tho, I just look like a bad as$ :cool: :eek:

---

Anywhu, when will we find out if ac rides or not ?

oh u :p

i think its pretty safe to assume he will. the wada guy already said he has nothing against the delay of the audition or w/e the name of the thing where they will decided is

Angliru said:
What basis are you using to back up this belief that a rider in their mid 20's with their first full shot at riding the Tour "seems like a guy who his his limitation when he finished 6th...."? Your response should prove to be quite entertaining.:D

Well it's the product of various indications. Would take a bit too long to fully present them here. Maybe Gesink can repat, but i don't thing there's any room for improvement in the overall standings for him. H

Bavarianrider said:
Prety much yes, don't think he has anything more in the tank.

Those tall super skinny riders usually show their potential very early.
There's not much room for improvement for him to go.

Obviously there are ecxeptions to this rule, like Rasmussen, but well there might be other reasons for that. But in general it's true.

You seem to be conjuring these ridiculous theories out of nowhere.

What does one's height have to do with their development? You have the Schlecks and Rassmussen that refute your "theory" of relative foolishness.;)
Andy has continued to develop and improve as has his brother. Rassmussen reached his peak Tour performance in his 30's. If you can sight some examples to back up this nonsense, I would love to hear it.

Bavarianrider said:
Well it's the product of various indications. Would take a bit too long to fully present them here. Maybe Gesink can repat, but i don't thing there's any room for improvement in the overall standings for him. H

arguments. . . .you have none good sir. just admit it

or at least try to present some stupid arguments like you did on the climbs thread

Angliru said:
You seem to be conjuring these ridiculous theories out nowhere.

What does one's height have to do with their development? You have the Schlecks and Rassmussen that refute your "theory" of relative foolishness.;)
Andy has continued to develop and improve as has his brother. Rassmussen reached his peak Tour performance in his 30's. If you can sight some examples to back up this nonsense, I would love to hear it.

Rasmussen was a pure product of juice, bad example.

Well that's a rather complex analysis, unfourtnately i don't have the time anymore to discuss it now. If you want to I'll talk a bout this in more detail next time.
One aspect is, that riders who have such little weight have a very hard time gaining any more power. They are totally depending on their weight and have bad gens for muscle production. That's why there body development is finished rather early. If they wanted to gain power they would have to change their nutrition which would affect their overall weight.
Second thing is, that competing at such a low weight is very bad for the substance of the body. With every year you get older, it gets harder to ride on this very thin line- It sucks out energy of your body.

Bavarianrider said:
I am talking of those pure climbers 1,80m + guys who weigh rougly 20 kilos less.

So like 1.86m and 68kg guys.

It's quite easy to alter the boundaries of the debate when you conveniently failed to include any in the first place. You need to start putting alot of these :);):D:pafter your posts so we know not to pummel you too much and simply not take you seriously. Your bordering on the Polish/Flicker level of ludicrousness.

Angliru said:
It's quite easy to alter the boundaries of the debate when you conveniently failed to include any in the first place. You need to start putting alot of these :);):D:pafter your posts so we know not to pummel you too much and simply not take you seriously. Your bordering on the Polish/Flicker level of ludicrousness.

Standing above 1.85m and weighing clearly below 70 Kilo is super thin, no discussion there. Hell even in ski jumping you'd be considerd too skinny by BMI standarts.

What recourse does the ASO have to keep Contador from racing the Tour this year? If the Astana 2008 situation is any indicator, they can pick and choose who attends their race. Even though Vino and Kash both got popped the year before, the Astana team not invited in '08 didn't feature any convicted dopers. But they were shunned, anyway.

Will the ASO allow a Contador-helmed Saxo squad to participate? (And should this be a new thread topic?)