• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Vuelta (post-Stage 17)

Who will win the Vuelta?

• Froome

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • Nibali

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Kelderman

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Zakarin

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Contador

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Lopez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Woods

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Poels

• Aru

• Other

• Total voters
Very different outcome to what most would have expected on this stage, and so will be interesting to see how opinions have changed compared to opinions just two days ago: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33573

1. FROOME Christopher 67h 44' 03''
2. NIBALI Vincenzo + 01' 16''
3. KELDERMAN Wilco + 02' 13''
4. ZAKARIN Ilnur + 02' 25''
5. CONTADOR Alberto + 03' 34''
6. LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel + 04' 39''
7. WOODS Michael + 06' 33''
8. POELS Wout + 06' 40''
9. ARU Fabio + 06' 45''
10. DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO David + 10' 10''

With the lack of key descents, I'd say Zakarin has Kelderman's number and will nick the final podium spot, with Froome finally winning his Vuelta and Nibali missing out on #5

froome
nibali
zakarin
kelderman
contador

although kelderman/contador could be interchangable. But today it was 50 seconds. Contador needs more on Angliru. Not sure he can peg back 1'20 on Kelderman. He certainly can't win 1'10 back on Zakarin who is a 3rd week monster. He'll gain 30/35 seconds at maximum

I'm still pretty sure Froome will win, but it's gonna be close. The problem for Froome is that just like today a team isn't as useful on super steep climbs like the Angliru as on ascents like Sierra Nevada last week so if he is clearly weaker than nibali he could lose around a minute there. However I think the gap is still too big to get completely closed on the Angliru only, so Nibali either has to make a long range attack on stage 20 or preferably gain more time on froome on the next two stages.

Gigs_98 said:
I'm still pretty sure Froome will win, but it's gonna be close. The problem for Froome is that just like today a team isn't as useful on super steep climbs like the Angliru as on ascents like Sierra Nevada last week so if he is clearly weaker than nibali he could lose around a minute there. However I think the gap is still too big to get completely closed on the Angliru only, so Nibali either has to make a long range attack on stage 20 or preferably gain more time on froome on the next two stages.
Agreed.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Arredondo said:
Contador will help Nibali win this bike race.

If he does, that would be the 3rd Grand Tour Froome has lost because of Contador
Please this is your opinion and i find it trolly because Nairo Quintana deserved the vuelta won he was the stongest climber

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

telencefalus said:
PremierAndrew said:
Arredondo said:
Contador will help Nibali win this bike race.

If he does, that would be the 3rd Grand Tour Froome has lost because of Contador
Please this is your opinion and i find it trolly because Nairo Quintana deserved the vuelta won he was the stongest climber

It's the truth though.

Nairo deserved his Vuelta-victory, but he won it because of Contador's attack on Formigal.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
at this point if Nibali keeps improving as for Contador Froome could lose it , even with a strong team , i was really impressed by Contador maybe he could win it who knows ,

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Froome has invested such a lot in this race and come so close over the years, it'll be a killer (for him and his fans) if he can't clinch it this time. Watching him 2K from the top yesterday he looked terrible but hung on somehow with a lot of help from Nieve. In a way, I find his Vuelta story more interesting than all the TDF wins. Certainly more drama and unpredictability.

Guess Froome will keep the red jersey but with a very small margin and tyhis Vuelta goes in history with a big what if/it might have ended otherwise...

Nibali & Contador on the podium

Kelderman to do a Dumoulin break

Zakarin to lose time in a rainy descent...

Connor Dunne for the win!

In all seriousness, I think we will no more after todays stage, Nibs has to do something to claw some more time back today I think. Froome looked terrible yesterday yet ground it out and limited his losses pretty well in the end only losing 41s, I would be surprised if he were to lose 1min 17s on the angliru alone.

Froome is definitely still a huge favorite for the win. I don't think anyone will be able to change the situation in GC during the next 2 stages.

Weather in Angliru might become decising factor if Nibs wants to win. Recent updates shows +12 degrees (real feel 8-9) and 91% chance of rain + some thunder during Saturday in Pola De Lena, which is located in altitude of 340m in the lower slopes towards Angliru. If that holds, it will be freaking cold on top of Angliru in 1500 meters.

Re:

bambino said:
Froome is definitely still a huge favorite for the win. I don't think anyone will be able to change the situation in GC during the next 2 stages.

Weather in Angliru might become decising factor if Nibs wants to win. Recent updates shows +12 degrees (real feel 8-9) and 91% chance of rain + some thunder during Saturday in Pola De Lena, which is located in altitude of 340m in the lower slopes towards Angliru. If that holds, it will be freaking cold on top of Angliru in 1500 meters.

If that weather does hold Froome is on record saying he doesn't like the colder weather and prefers the hot stuff. Nibali would definitely have the advantage in that weather even if fitness and form were equal. This is going to be an interesting end to the vuelta

TRENDING THREADS