• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who wins the 2014 TdF V.2?

Who Will Win Tour de France 2014?

• Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Since it is the first rest day...

Old Poll:http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=22612

Poll options: Nibali, Porte, Valverde, Bardet, Pinot, TJVG, Costa, Mollema, JVDB & Vino. Why omit Gallopin and Peraud? Assuming Lotto will protect JVDB over Gallopin and Bardet is higher GC than Peraud on same team. I also need last slot for Vino.

I'm expecting Nibali 75% minimum, but the TdF is long and you'll never know what happens with the Alps, Pyreness and ITT to go.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the total chaos is over in that some more crazy **** will happen to the GC before it is over, but I believe Nibali will hold on.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit surprised there haven't been more efforts to put Nibbles under pressure. Nibbs was the boss on that last climb, everyone else waiting for him to make his move. The move was hardly devastating, too. I hope someone has the courage to really attack him in the days to come. It's almost as if everyone else is now riding for 2nd place.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
warmfuzzies said:
I'm a bit surprised there haven't been more efforts to put Nibbles under pressure. Nibbs was the boss on that last climb, everyone else waiting for him to make his move. The move was hardly devastating, too. I hope someone has the courage to really attack him in the days to come. It's almost as if everyone else is now riding for 2nd place.

Oh C'mon mate WTF are you talking about ?

Nibali was an outside chance today.

When you set yourself up for a day you cant just think OK going to attack that other guy instead.

Think you are being unfair on the rest of the peloton IMO. :(

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Jspear said:
As long as he doesn't crash this Tour is Nibali's. In my dream world I would love to see TJV take the win. :)

But The Hitch will say to you . . . ooooo h o o o h o

We all know that Nibbles can bonk in the mountians and lose 10 minutes . . . .

oooooohoohooohho

Spooky isn't it ;)

PS cannot vote as another rubbish poll.

Should be winner excluding Nibali IMO as no doubt 90% of people have voted for Nibali.

A good poll question is when you get a 50/50 reaction.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Fight.The.Power said:
But The Hitch will say to you . . . ooooo h o o o h o

We all know that Nibbles can bonk in the mountians and lose 10 minutes . . . .

oooooohoohooohho

Spooky isn't it ;)

PS cannot vote as another rubbish poll.

Should be winner excluding Nibali IMO as no doubt 90% of people have voted for Nibali.

A good poll question is when you get a 50/50 reaction.

Is any poll besides one pertaining to the color of your lady's panties a good poll for you? :D

The "who gonna win it?" poll is common, especially on rest days. Combine that with the crashes of contenders and I would not be surprised if we see more absurdity among the top guys.

What happens if Romain Bardet attacked 7 kms out on Hautucam and Nibali responded but has a mechanical? So many crazy things can happen with 10 more stages, I hope Nibali can avoid the jinx.

This TdF, you never know what might happen??

Logically the rightful winner would be Nibali..... but based on what has happened so far, I still think is a long stretch to name him the winner. There are many things that can go wrong for him in two weeks, not necessarily as far as competition goes, but illness, injuries, mechanical failure and so on, can interfere with his campaign towards the title.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stage 10 was great, it closed the race down, there is only one favourite, and opened it up, from 2nd to 13th is covered by the same time as first to second and much of that time came from incidents on the cobbles.
Now which team will have the cojones to take it on? I'm expecting to be disappointed, but i think Sky is most likely, I don't really like Sky, but they'll earn a fan if they do what was done to them last year to bagneres de bigorre. Opportunities...any lump big enough to ditch Iglinsky, Grivko, Vanotti, and Gruzdev. If you happen to knock out Kangert, Westra, Scarponi, and/or Fuglsang lucky you, if Nibali doesn't make the junction, Jackpot. Once you have your 20-40 vs 4 or so Astana game on.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Pinot to win and Brailsford to then announce that he has been working with French cycling the last few months. That's why he had to quit managing the British Track team to take up his French road cycling role. :D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Pinot to win and Brailsford to then announce that he has been working with French cycling the last few months. That's why he had to quit managing the British Track team to take up his French road cycling role. :D

lmao 10chra

warmfuzzies said:
I'm a bit surprised there haven't been more efforts to put Nibbles under pressure.
I hear you, but I would rather compliment him on putting his stamp on the race with a good ride. I'm sure we will see him attacked repeatedly in the days to come by the others. He is now the clear favorite, so he and Astana will have few friends. Some of the others not used to riding to win are going to have to step up, and will I think. Still, the race looks like its his to lose.

But it's a long way to Paris.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
warmfuzzies said:

I don't think they've needed to. Up until now we've not really known what sort of form anyone was in. We've had an extended prologue of 9 stages to illustrate something, but nothing decisive. Up until stage 10, perhaps on stage 8 any rider could have been thinking I'll let Nibali lead out, I'll beat him by 20 seconds and peg back my 2:30 over the remaining MTFs. Everyone knows that isn't going to happen now.
Having said over the past few years many riders have been content to wait for MTFs and then tell everyone how great 7th is.

Alpe d'Huez said:
... I'm sure we will see him attacked repeatedly in the days to come by the others ... Some of the others not used to riding to win are going to have to step up, and will I think.

The $64,000.00 question is who? For some guys who never thought they had a shot there are several who now do. Which one will realize they may never get this close again and have the guts to dig deep and go for it? I think this TDF is open to whoever wants it the most!

Who ever heard of Mario Gotze 3 days ago, figuratively speaking?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:
The $64,000.00 question is who? For some guys who never thought they had a shot there are several who now do. Which one will realize they may never get this close again and have the guts to dig deep and go for it? I think this TDF is open to whoever wants it the most!

Who ever heard of Mario Gotze 3 days ago, figuratively speaking?

I'd guess almost everyone within sight who isn't wearing a lime green M will take a shot at some stage.

As a Nibali fan I would love to see someone put him under pressure and force him to ride aggressively some more stages. The problem here is that the main attacker among GC riders is in yellow and the others, well, yesterday they really seemed satisfied with fighting for a podium spot.
Are we sure there's someone who's ambitious enough to go for the jersey at this point?

Porte: first time as a GC leader, on the biggest possible stage. Needs to prove himself as a three week rider. Can't see him sacrificing a podium spot for some legendary attack. Also note the final TT favors him a lot. I'm expecting him to ride defensively, unless the team tries something (unlikely).

Pinot: young, French rider with a shot at the podium after I don't even know how many years. The only hope is that he realizes he needs to put time into both Porte and Valverde before the ITT, but I doubt he'll challenge Nibali.

Bardet: see Pinot.

Valverde: the only one who has both the class and the team to put Nibbles under pressure. But it's Valverde.

TJ: could be the wild card here but the team looks really weak for high mountains and you need some help if you want to attack Astana.

Peraud: could see him working with Bardet to try something but don't forget AG2R is likely very keen on winning the team classification. With Astana having to work win the coming weeks they are the favorites now. I think they'll attack but play it safe.

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I really hope some French rider can win this tour, as there was no one did after Hinault won in 1985.
Pinot is on form but no chance if they want to gain some time in a normal race. Hope Pinot and Bardet and cooperate and did some good attack far from finish line and make a chaotic race. It's the only way to beat Nibali imo.

Nibali will win, barring accidents or illness.
Everything below first place though, is wide open. This has been an exceptionally tough race so far because of the weather, and I expect comebacks from some riders and set-backs for others. There are only 2 minutes separating place 2 from place 13 at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS