• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

who would you like to see still riding ?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ok here is a wistful question, who do you wish was still in todays peleton at their peak ( retired, dead or past prime cyclist- sans doping revelations ) ?

I think I'd like to see the dark horse Tony Rominger- he could TT and climb- sure as heck give Fabian a run for the money while providing some tough compeition in the mountains for AC Lance and the Schleck bros. I also liked Bartoli in the day races, he was a fairly safe bet in the mid-late 90s-

It would be fun to see JaJa in todays peloton. He would probably be riding a full program and be very successful. Also it would bring some more life into french cycling which is lacking alot of the time.

In my opinion if France had some more worldclass stars like JaJa, then there is no way that Voeckler would have been as big of a fan favourite as he is today.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Andrea Tafi & Andrei Tchmil both where never say die riders. Classic Roubaix winning rides 94 & 99

But above all I love to see Sean Kelly race again at his very best

A

Anonymous

Indurain - Push Cancellara in the TT's and defend the yellow like a man posessed in the mountains.

Plus Ullrich (sorry to include someone with a 'speculative' career) but he's still a good age to be riding

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I considered Jaja, Indurain, Ulrich and of course Pantani, but I left out Pantani because he was nowhere on the flats, so like typical races today all the fireworks and anticipation was left waiting for the mountains to come. After I signed off, I was thinking it would be cool to see how one of the old champions would measure up- Coppi.

Laszlo said:
ok here is a wistful question, who do you wish was still in todays peleton at their peak ( retired, dead or past prime cyclist- sans doping revelations ) ?

I think I'd like to see the dark horse Tony Rominger- he could TT and climb- sure as heck give Fabian a run for the money while providing some tough compeition in the mountains for AC Lance and the Schleck bros. I also liked Bartoli in the day races, he was a fairly safe bet in the mid-late 90s-

Merckx, of course. Anquetil, very smooth and classy rider. Bartoli-Coppi in their day, battling it out.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I've a bit of a quandary, as I wish we still had the vinokourov of 2003-05, in his prime before the doping results and the tenacity of the long solo flyer breakaways; whether or not that was dope assisted, the ignorance was a blissful promise about a rider and a constant striving for something more than the status quo...I think we all share in part that drive to achieve more

TRENDING THREADS