• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's the best American rider for 2015?

Who's the best American rider for 2015?

• Joey Rosskopf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joseph Lloyd Dombrowski

• Lawson Craddock

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Ian Boswell

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Tejay van Garderen

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • Andrew Talansky

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Chad Haga

• Lawrence Warbasse

• Alex Howes

• Total voters
I know the USA didn't exactly set the world on fire this year in the pro peloton, but I think we have some decent young riders that could do some damage in the years to come. I tried to put the younger guys in the poll, and probably left out some deserving riders. I'm more interested in what you guys are thinking about the future of American cycling in the World Tour.

Best thread.

Lawson Craddock. Not just because he is my favourite rider, but because I had high expectations for him this year before that nasty crash Down Under that totally compromised his first half of the season. The logical answer would be Tejay, but I don't want to be too obvious and he's already established himself in the top of the scene.

Same goes for Carter Jones, I thought Gila plus a pletora of high finishes from Cali to Utah to USAPC were indicators of good things to come. I guess I gotta wait. :)

Re:

BigMac said:
Best thread.

Lawson Craddock. Not just because he is my favourite rider, but because I had high expectations for him this year before that nasty crash Down Under that totally compromised his first half of the season. The logical answer would be Tejay, but I don't want to be too obvious and he's already established himself in the top of the scene.

Same goes for Carter Jones.
First off, thanks! :)

Teejay is certainly the logical pick I agree, but Lawson Craddock is an animal! Bummed that Giant Alpacin won't be in Utah.

Going by the definition in the OP, it's Tejay, though I'm not really sure what that says as he's one of those guys who accumulates results rather than really setting the world on fire to get them, and most of his best results are in the US. He's done well in Catalunya, but apart from that most of his top placements have been picked up without really drawing too much attention to himself (as opposed to, say, Talansky, who picks up his results more visibly).

Going by the definition in the thread title, it's Megan Guarnier.

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Tejay will hopefully do well at Vuelta so got my vote.

Talansky after last year's TDF i hoped would do something amazing this year even if only a stage win but that didn't work out obviously although came mighty close at Pra Loup.

The actual answer is easy as TJVG has been by far the best this year but it's been a lean year for actual results for guys in the WT which is what you specified. I like Talansky and was hoping he would take the step forward this year that I believe TJ has (Tour troubles, notwithstanding).

Dombro seems to have the most potential but Boswell has improved and looks ready to take a step forward as well. Not sure if there is anyone who is going to be a future star but if it happens it'll likely be a slow, steady rise as it doesn't seem like there is currently one of those Nairo/Aru/Schleck or Ewan/Guardini/Bouhanni types who is ready to compete with the best fairly consistently at a super young age.

The US was a bit spoiled for some years with several riders at the top but things look good for the future, if not spectactular. TJ and AT are still relatively young and are likely to stay near the top tier, though it's unclear if either will ever reach star status and there are several guys riding at WT, PC, and C level that look to be solid WT guys but I'm not sure if there's a star on the horizon. Depth appears to be getting better but I'm not sure what the future will be at the pointy end. I tend to be partial to Haga and Craddock since they're local boys and I see one out on rides from time to time and raced with the other a few years back.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'll second the vote for Megan Guarnier. It's nice to see the Stars and Stripes regularly in the mix at the pointy end of the women's peloton. Really impressed with her performance at the Giro Rosa. Add in her Strade Bianche win and a podium at Fleche Wallone and she's clearly having the best year among the American riders, male or female.

If we're just sticking to the men, I think Tejay would get the nod despite it being a somewhat lackluster year for him.

Re:

Califootman said:
I'll second the vote for Megan Guarnier. It's nice to see the Stars and Stripes regularly in the mix at the pointy end of the women's peloton. Really impressed with her performance at the Giro Rosa. Add in her Strade Bianche win and a podium at Fleche Wallone and she's clearly having the best year among the American riders, male or female.

If we're just sticking to the men, I think Tejay would get the nod despite it being a somewhat lackluster year for him.
I guess I didn't think about the women's side which is a mistake on my part. We should include the best of the young women pro's too, and if Megan Guarnier is the best American cyclist then I'm happy with that. :)

You mentioned you were most interested in the future of American cycling in the WT and I realized I forgot the guy who still might have the best chance of being a real star - Phinney. Forgot about him with him not riding much the last two seasons. Obviously everything depends on his ability to overcome his injury. It might take a full season to get all the way back considering how long he will have been away.

Phinney will have no real expectations placed on him next year (I hope). He'll need a good year of racing just to get his base back up and into the swing of things again.

He has the genetics though and his folks are probably helping to get him on the right track.

TVG is the best at the moment.Too bad he didn't finish Le Tour and people were left with the Dauphine performance.Dombrowski and Boswell are looking good for the future,great potential.Talanski looks overrated versus the expectations,but he's still young he might step up his game in the next years.

Re: Re:

irondan said:
BigMac said:
Best thread.

Teejay is certainly the logical pick I agree, but Lawson Craddock is an animal! Bummed that Giant Alpacin won't be in Utah.

True. Not to be compared results wise, but I see Lawson as being similar to Tejay. Good time trialist and good climber, he could be a great all rounder. If he's remotely better (he was on the right track in Cali) he will do good in Pologne. Plus he likes to attack which is one of the things that makes me like him over Tejay. He's not a climber though, he's slightly bulky and I think he relies more on his musculature to get him up the mountains. Indeed no Giant in Utah is quite the bummer, with guys like Haga, Carter Jones and Craddock all with a history of good performances there.

I'm still convinced he will be a major revelation next year.

jaylew said:
Fernandez said:
American rider? Of course its Quintana. Dont say America when you are refering to USA, please.
:rolleyes: No, his terminology was just fine.

True. Though one thing I've always wondered, do you have another way to refer to the people of the United States? In Portuguese there's estadunidense, but American is the widely used terminology.

BigMac said:
irondan said:
BigMac said:
Best thread.

True. Not to be compared results wise, but I see Lawson as being similar to Tejay. Good time trialist and good climber, he could be a great all rounder. If he's remotely better (he was on the right track in Cali) he will do good in Pologne. Plus he likes to attack which is one of the things that makes me like him over Tejay. He's not a climber though, he's slightly bulky and I think he relies more on his musculature to get him up the mountains. Indeed no Giant in Utah is quite the bummer, with guys like Haga, Carter Jones and Craddock all with a history of good performances there.

I'm still convinced he will be a major revelation next year.

jaylew said:
Fernandez said:
American rider? Of course its Quintana. Dont say America when you are refering to USA, please.

True. Though one thing I've always wondered, do you have another way to refer to the people of the United States? In Portuguese there's estadunidense, but American is the widely used terminology.

Not that I've heard. There could be some obscure term somewhere but American is the only word I've ever heard to describe people from the U.S.

BigMac said:
jaylew said:
Fernandez said:

No real alternative in English, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_United_States_citizens

The best proposal seems to be US-Americans, but there are risks involved with being an early adopter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Carols said:
Tejay, no competition so far this year.
This. Dombo and the Pitbull haven't really impressed in 2015. Taylor Phinney might be one to look out for, but the stage racers usually get the glory (and the press).

Did the OP mean to say "Who's the best American rider for 2016?" Holding off on voting for that reason.

[minor edit]

carton said:
BigMac said:
jaylew said:
Fernandez said:

No real alternative in English though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_United_States_citizens

The best proposal seems to be US-Americans, there are risks involved with being an early adopter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Omg, I'd forgotten about that! So hilarious and so painful to watch. Whose idea was it to have pageant contestants speak about anything serious, anyway? :p

jaylew said:
Omg, I'd forgotten about that! So hilarious and so painful to watch. Whose idea was it to have pageant contestants speak about anything serious, anyway? :p
Probably this guy:
donald-trump.jpg

Because asking 18-year-old aspiring models about the important issues of the day shows us that it's inner beauty that matters both tv and in life, and lends proceedings the trademark Trump air of seriousness and credibility.

American? Referring to the continent? Quintana hands down
Northamerican? I find Ryder Hesjedal more entertaining and I value his 5th in Giro more than a 2nd in Dauphiné (plus 2nd and 3rd places in GT stages).
US Citizen? TJVG. No competition. A subpar year, though.

Let's wait for Utah, USPC and the Worlds to call it

TRENDING THREADS