• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's your favorite directeur sportif?

Who's your favorite directeur sportif?

• Other/Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I thought this could be interesting. Who's do you like the most and why? Funny or interesting stories you've seen, read or heard are more than welcome!

I guess I'm a bit biased here. Brian Holm has always been one of my favorites. A sympathic fella with a brilliant sense of humour. Seems to be popular among most the of peloton and staff around it. Managed to control and get the best out of one of the most difficult riders to work with and they eventually created an almost father-son relationship. Cav even wanted to pay Brian's salaries from his own pocket so he could move to Sky this season. I genuinely think there's something about that 'Brian Holm effect'.

Also, Michel Cornelisse always cracks me up. Quite a character as well. Seems friendly! He is always described as a complete lunatic behind the wheels, parping at the spectators and getting constant warnings from the officials. "I guess they don't like me today, laughs Michel" Haha!

You got any you like more than others?

I hope the poll you are no doubt creating as we speak contains Guissepe Martineli.

Why? He's a big Giro fan like myself, and he said Contador had already surpassed Lance as a cyclist.

BTW someone on here said once that Roberto Amadio said that the TOC was as big as the Giro and Vuelta. anyone know if its true or not?

Giancarlo Ferretti of Fassa Bortolo fame. I'm upset that he's not found his way back to the elite level of the pro ranks. Looking at his wikipedia page it says he's over 70 years old so maybe sponsors feel the sport has passed him by. I think he'd still be an asset.

I would say Lelangue, Riis and Bruyneel are the most known at the moment.

I like Riis a lot- his reaction after Nuyens won RvV was great.

Sean Yates is good as well. I like Allain Peiper quite a bit. I should start following a GE one though.

However my favourite is JV- maybe it's because he is so outspoken but i like his focus on all races (eccentricity).He has also steered his team from nothing to being one of the best- also developed great young talent. I hope he can get Garmin a win in a monument either from Haussler, Martin, Vanmarcke or some one else ( Kreder??? )

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I will point out the obvious... Peter Post
what he did with Panasonic (pre computer age) was epic, not to mention Zoetemelk, Kuiper, Knetemann, Raas, and all of TI-Raleigh

PeterPost03.jpg

main.php

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
Seriously?! Always complaining and it is never his mistake.

To me it's much easier to pick the worst DS, the good ones are more quiet thus less visible. I'm aware that Lefevere is not saint but I like when the main goal of a team is other than winning a grand tour, so i can forgive him some whining ;)

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Whilst not structly a Directeur, I quite like Jonathan Vaughters particularly for the way he is so outspoken about the shambles that is the UCI.

Also serious respect for Sean Yates. Despite suffering a stroke a few years ago, he can still give the lads a hard time in training..

sean-yates-4.jpg

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Allan Peiper, he is the only one I've ever met personally. I was able to ride around France with him in 2004. Great guy! (Also rode with Neil Stephens, Michael Wilson and Patrick Jonker too) That was a great trip.:)