• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's your favourite domestique?

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys.. Domestiques usually don't get publicly acknowledged... (well at least no where near as much as sprinters, climbers, or GC riders)...So who's your favourite domestique? :)

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Wim Vansevenant! But I guess he retired now...

vansevenant-tdf2008.jpg

All time: Rudy Dhaenens, because he rode most of his career that way, but showed he was much more than a domestique. Talk about curse of the rainbow jersey.

The truest domestique ever is probably Andrea Carrea who selflessly and quietly protected Fausto Coppi at all costs. Marcel Ernzer maybe too, he rode for Charley Gaul, and even though a little bigger, rode the same bike size in case he had to give it to Gaul. He would protect Gaul and stay with him as far and hard as he possibly could through the mountains. There aren't too many bodyguards like these guys still around, but their there.

Current: I'll stick with Jens Voight. The man does a tremendous amount of work, and still manages to get into breaks to help sponsors, and even wins sometimes, all without hurting his team.

For riders on the bubble (superdomestique) I do like Popo's attitude on Astana. Talented rider too. Would like to see him get a shot at something like the Dauphine or Suisse one year. Same goes for David Arroyo on Caisse. Quiet, talented rider, who frequently helps others when needed, while still getting into breaks and stepping into leaders shoes as needed.

Alpe d'Huez said:
All time: Rudy Dhaenens, because he rode most of his career that way, but showed he was much more than a domestique. Talk about curse of the rainbow jersey.

The truest domestique ever is probably Andrea Carrea who selflessly and quietly protected Fausto Coppi at all costs. Marcel Ernzer maybe too, he rode for Charley Gaul, and even though a little bigger, rode the same bike size in case he had to give it to Gaul. He would protect Gaul and stay with him as far and hard as he possibly could through the mountains. There aren't too many bodyguards like these guys still around, but their there.
Just how old are you? (Just kidding Alpe).

Jeans Voight, Chechu Rubiera.

A

Anonymous

richwagmn said:
Yea, Jens is great too. He's like George in that he'll absolutely bury himself for his team.

But unlike George, he actually wins sh!t fairly often....

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm being biased by picking a British rider but for me it has to be Charley Wegelius. :)

Totally unselfish and loyal team player, bet he does loads of spade work for Cadel in the mountains this year.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Johan Van Summeren
I agree with you. If you look at things relatively he's one of the best riders in the sport considering how well he fills his role. You know he's probably the one domestique Quickstep would love to sign if they had their choice.

TRENDING THREADS