• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Bother with Punishing the Cheaters in Cycling: The Cushing Case

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:
Completely disagree. There wouldn't be doping in most of these sports if they had the same testing regime that cycling has - it just wouldn't be worth the cost of getting caught. The reason doping still persists in cycling is the direct correlation with successful output.

In soccer, for instance, yes it would help if you took EPO to run around the pitch for longer and harder, but it wouldn't necessarily produce a better outcome. In cycling that IS the outcome.

are you a fan of soccer? ;)

Eyjafjallajokull said:
Completely disagree. There wouldn't be doping in most of these sports if they had the same testing regime that cycling has - it just wouldn't be worth the cost of getting caught. The reason doping still persists in cycling is the direct correlation with successful output.

In soccer, for instance, yes it would help if you took EPO to run around the pitch for longer and harder, but it wouldn't necessarily produce a better outcome. In cycling that IS the outcome.

LOL you kidding? If you're less tired than everyone in the 4th quarter you will always get to the ball first and dominate.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:

I don't think you quite understand the effect of EPO. Or the concept that if your hct is, say, 60%, and you have a MD minding your profile, just what advantage you have in ANY sport over about 10 minutes.

Soccer, Rugby, Hockey, Cycling, Tennis, Swimming, Boxing, etc. etc. etc.

ALL gain benefit from EPO.... or oxygen vector/blood manipulation, if that opens the scope.

Puerto - Nadal anyone? there is your non-cycling example.

Heck, the BALCO case even had Dana Stubblefield, an American footballer, admit EPO was a part of his regular program (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=stubblefield+epo)

Look, you can think what you want, and I honestly don't expect you to "trust" me, but I do know what I am talking about.

Escarabajo said:
Actually I am fine with the punishment. That was not my point.

I am a little confused by the Media response. This is the same people that point the fingers at cheaters from the Olympics and other sports (????). I am not sure by looking at the reaction what to believe from these people anymore. I agree with Peter King reaction's though.

At least it was important that they did the re-vote. That's progress.

Some people have made the argument that the reason he got the award is because of the big difference in the performance between the first and second. But as an example I recall the other two that got the same award in the past were Julius Peppers and Merriman. I don't remember them being the same after they were catched. So you can make the argument that the doping made the difference in all the cases.

Fair enough. The media is completely out to lunch and in denial on the doping issue in America, in all sports.

Dr. Maserati said:
Ok - I know (& care) little for NFL.
He gets a 4 game suspension - which equates to $1million? How many games do these guys play and what is their earning potential? $1 million is steep - but if its out of $10 million, then no.

I don't know NFL - but I do know inconsistent statements...
todays statement.....

Which is rather different from his statement last month...

One million dollars (yes, that's his salary over the suspension), a 4-game suspension and increased testing to me, is EXACTLY the kind of response appropriate to the offense. If he gets popped again it's a year, and again he's out.

If ONLY cycling had a doping sanction regime that made this much sense, 90% of the bull**** and hullabaloo would disappear.

And to be clear, I'm not examining his guilt. I have no reason to believe his denials.

red_flanders said:
One million dollars (yes, that's his salary over the suspension), a 4-game suspension and increased testing to me, is EXACTLY the kind of response appropriate to the offense. If he gets popped again it's a year, and again he's out.

If ONLY cycling had a doping sanction regime that made this much sense, 90% of the bull**** and hullabaloo would disappear.

And to be clear, I'm not examining his guilt. I have no reason to believe his denials.

He also has a clause in his contract that he gets a $2.25 million bonus every year he makes the Pro Bowl. As part of getting popped he's barred from being a Pro Bowl selection next season so he's also effectively barred from that performance bonus.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
He also has a clause in his contract that he gets a $2.25 million bonus every year he makes the Pro Bowl. As part of getting popped he's barred from being a Pro Bowl selection next season so he's also effectively barred from that performance bonus.

Ouch. That's a worthy deterrent, if you get caught. You'd hope the same forgiving sportswriters would make heavy emphasis on the financial consequences. Like the UCI...er...AFLD...WADA...sh*t! None of those organizations can make them give it back. Aw shucks.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Ouch. That's a worthy deterrent, if you get caught. You'd hope the same forgiving sportswriters would make heavy emphasis on the financial consequences. Like the UCI...er...AFLD...WADA...sh*t! None of those organizations can make them give it back. Aw shucks.

generally the case though strictly speaking it's an inaccurate statement. there were some case when cycling bodies extracted fines and penalties due for doping offenses.

i know little about those sports listed by the op but i've been around the business long enough to know that neither suspensions nor monetary disincentives work well as a deterrent.

fear of an effective testing system and the police does.

A

Anonymous

!!!!

biokemguy said:
Almost as popular as cycling...;)

fishing (in the water) is way more popular than cycling, require no balance and veryu little energy output. sit there drinking till some poor fish eats your bait...

A

Anonymous

Colm.Murphy said:
The outrage in this thread is hilarious.

blah blah blah blah, dumbtroll, blah blah blah, dumb troll, blah blah

think that sums it up

A

Anonymous

Escarabajo said:
Actually I am fine with the punishment. That was not my point.

I am a little confused by the Media response. .

The American Press / people are doping virgins

Brian Cushing is yet another in a long list of athletes who couldn't play pro sports at the highest level without steroids.

Just look at this improbable metamorphosis-

o0cr5z.jpg

Berzin said:
Brian Cushing is yet another in a long list of athletes who couldn't play pro sports at the highest level without steroids.

o0cr5z.jpg

Looks to me like he was on/off 'roids even in the "before" picture as those moobs of his ain't natural.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:

o0cr5z.jpg

Is that him in the 1st picture?

Good night, and good luck...

... but good tits :eek::p:(

TRENDING THREADS