• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why do Spanish crossers stink?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think even in the regions where cyclocross is popular in Spain road is way more appealing. A guy like Gorka Izagirre (quite an interesting talent, 2 wins in his maiden year 2010) did crosses but quit way before he could reach a decent level because he wants to focus on the road.

Iban Mayo used to cross as well by the way, but I suppose that was also because Igorre was his home town.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Because they're Spanish.

And I don't mean that in any sort of xenophobic nut-job way, I mean because the Spanish population doesn't really care about 'cross.

Same reason the French only sporadically produce someone. A race in France will attract a couple of thousand fans, 100km down the road in Beligium the same level of racing will attract tens of thousands of fans.

TRENDING THREADS