• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why do you dislike Armstrong?

Genuine question...
I'm interested in why people are soooo anti Armstrong. It seems like some people spend a huge amount of time thinking about, posting about and arguing about the possible wrong doings of the guy.

Now we all know that many other riders have been practicing the same methods and denials but no one attracts the same sort of venom as Armstrong.

I personally believe that most of the stories about Armstrong and others are true, but it doesnt bring me to hate the guy.

If he directly affected the quality of my life, I would probably feel a lot stronger, If I was a "clean" pro riding against him, I would probabaly feel different also, but I'm not, and neither are the people who post so much about him.

So whats YOUR reasoning behind the time and energy spent posting about him?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
didn't we just have this thread?
Also why do you start this thread with your first post after having been a member for several months?
Dare I say troll?

I'm really glad you chose this question as your first post.

I'm hoping that, unlike the 9,457 previous threads devoted to this very same question, as well as the 53,832 responses outlining specifically why people take exception to Armstrong, this time we may finally get an answer.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
andy1234 said:
Genuine question...
I'm interested in why people are soooo anti Armstrong. It seems like some people spend a huge amount of time thinking about, posting about and arguing about the possible wrong doings of the guy.

Now we all know that many other riders have been practicing the same methods and denials but no one attracts the same sort of venom as Armstrong.

I personally believe that most of the stories about Armstrong and others are true, but it doesnt bring me to hate the guy.

If he directly affected the quality of my life, I would probably feel a lot stronger, If I was a "clean" pro riding against him, I would probabaly feel different also, but I'm not, and neither are the people who post so much about him.

So whats YOUR reasoning behind the time and energy spent posting about him?

Explain yourself first.

No, not a troll.
As to why is this my first post, its because I have time on my hands and finally decided to post something after lurking for many years.

If this has been answered elsewhere, just point me to the right post.....

Just to restate my question, why do people feel so strongly about a figure that has no real impact on their own lives. If you dont want to answer, then dont. If you do then fire away.

For the record I do believe Armstrong and most other riders of his generation were\are doped up to the eyeballs, along with the top tennis players, footballers, swimers etc etc.

andy1234 said:
No, not a troll.
As to why is this my first post, its because I have time on my hands and finally decided to post something after lurking for many years.

Just to restate my question, why do people feel so strongly about a figure that has no real impact on their own lives. If you dont want to answer, then dont. If you do then fire away.

For the record I do believe Armstrong and most other riders of his generation were\are doped up to the eyeballs, along with the top tennis players, footballers, swimers etc etc.

I'm not trying to be an ***, but there's a search function. Maybe use it?

A

Anonymous

andy1234 said:
No, not a troll.

Many years? Really? Considering that this forum is about...oh, a year and a half old, I guess you lurked on some ghost url?

Either way, I for one see no reason to justify my feelings about Mr Armstrong to you or anyone else stupid enough to believe the guy is an admirable figure. My suggestion to you is that you read all of the available information (above and beyond Lance press releases) regarding him and then come back and tell us why we should admire the guy.

Also note that many of the people discussing things here are regular YEAR ROUND posters, and discuss a disperate range of topics. If you think it is a waste of time, great, don't post or lurk.

Please also note the general topic of this forum. It might give you a clue as to why people discuss a figure associated with the subject of the forum.

A

Anonymous

andy1234 said:
Ok, Im going away to use the search function.
Thanks for the reasoned debate.......

Thanks for the stupid question...

Thoughtforfood said:
Many years? Really? Considering that this forum is about...oh, a year and a half old, I guess you lurked on some ghost url?

Either way, I for one see no reason to justify my feelings about Mr Armstrong to you or anyone else stupid enough to believe the guy is an admirable figure. My suggestion to you is that you read all of the available information (above and beyond Lance press releases) regarding him and then come back and tell us why we should admire the guy.

Also note that many of the people discussing things here are regular YEAR ROUND posters, and discuss a disperate range of topics. If you think it is a waste of time, great, don't post or lurk.

A couple of points.
I have been lurking on the forums as a whole for a few years, not just the clinic Understood?

Secondly. Why or where did you get the idea that I believe that Armstrong is an admirable figure? I asked a question to the forum as a whole but I never gave my opinion of the guy. I normally like to hear other peoples opinions before I voice mine. I am well read on Armstrong and find very little to admire, but like I said, I was interested in other peoples views.

If you feel no reason to justify your feelings then jog on, nobody is forcing a response out of you.

Now, back to the search function....

A

Anonymous

andy1234 said:
A couple of points.
I have been lurking on the forums as a whole for a few years, not just the clinic Understood?

Secondly. Why or where did you get the idea that I believe that Armstrong is an admirable figure? I asked a question to the forum as a whole but I never gave my opinion of the guy. I normally like to hear other peoples opinions before I voice mine. I am well read on Armstrong and find very little to admire, but like I said, I was interested in other peoples views.

If you feel no reason to justify your feelings then jog on, nobody is forcing a response out of you.

Now, back to the search function....

Uh, the whole entire FORUM is a year and a half old...dang. Why did you lurk on blank url?

andy1234 said:
A couple of points.

So, based on the years and years of lurking, and the probable thousands of posts read if not responded to during that time, you have yet to formulate even a rudimentary understanding of the motivations behind those whom you define as " soooo anti Armstrong"?

MacRoadie said:
So, based on the years and years of lurking, and the probable thousands of posts read if not responded to during that time, you have yet to formulate even a rudimentary understanding of the motivations behind those whom you define as " soooo anti Armstrong"?

I understand why people are anti Armstrong, but I'm not so sure why people are not quite so anti Ullrich, Virenque Pantani etc etc.

It was an honest question, but poorly phrased.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I guess I have a problem with lying, cheating, bully-boy douchebags who grow rich and powerful on the backs of people in pain, and who ensure the sport I love remains in the dark ages just when it was starting evolve. I also dislike people who ingratiate themselves where they no longer belong, actively stymie dissent, debate and personal liberty for financial and psychological gain, and project themselves as some kind of messiah.

But ya know that's just me...

May 7, 2009
Visit site
just the other day, BPC bragged in a post that he(?) had two sock puppet accounts that had not yet been banned.

For efficiency sake, he(?) could have set a ton of them up at once and burned through them one at a time, instead of creating a new one each time he(?) is banned.

There is a certain tone of what I would call "false politeness" in his(?) writings along with this sort of attempt to come of innocent at first.

I don't buy it...

CycloErgoSum said:
I guess I have a problem with lying, cheating, bully-boy douchebags who , and who ensure the sport I love remains in the dark ages just when it was starting evolve. I also dislike people who ingratiate themselves where they no longer belong, actively stymie dissent, debate and personal liberty for financial and psychological gain, and project themselves as some kind of messiah.

But ya know that's just me...

The first informative reply - Cheers!

I agree with most of what you are saying. I guess the "grow rich and powerful on the backs of people in pain" is probably the key thing here.

My question was based on the fact that as a sportsman, Armstrong is really no worse than the majority of his counterparts. I imagine the cancer link(if thats what the people in pain reference is?) is really the thing that people take the most issue with......

A

Anonymous

warm welcome to a forum member guys..

I dislike armstrong because he is an arrogant peice of crap that thinks he is more important than cycling. I dislike armstrong because he lied about how he got cancer. I dislike armstrong because he attempted to dominate us cycling governing bodies for his own benefits (ie. covering up his own doping), i dislike armstrong because he goes over the top claiming he is clean, i dislike armstrong for using his kids, and even his unborn baby (who has a twitter account) as media tools, i dislike armstrong because he is a womanizing peice of crap, do i need to go on?

Deagol said:
just the other day, BPC bragged in a post that he(?) had two sock puppet accounts that had not yet been banned.

For efficiency sake, he(?) could have set a ton of them up at once and burned through them one at a time, instead of creating a new one each time he(?) is banned.

There is a certain tone of what I would call "false politeness" in his(?) writings along with this sort of attempt to come of innocent at first.

I don't buy it...

Your second guessing yourself so many times you dont know which way is up.

Give yourself a break and either ignore the post or contribute something meaningful. Polite enough for you?

TRENDING THREADS