• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Does Floyd Landis Suck now?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
VeloFidelis said:
Oh my God, I can't believe it. The ability to remove emotion and personal bias and make a coherent statement based in fact. Are you married?... Do you want to be? Wait... what's you gender... you know what? I don't even care... call me!!

This is my favorite post... ever! Thanks for sharing this effort. Although there is a mis-spell. You can can expect to hear from the spelling PPPolice on that. Then there will be the obligatory "get a room" or "take it to an English Major's website", but hang tough; it's not easy in here. They like their double standard.

You know buddy if you'd open your eyes and read a bit more I think it would become obvious to you that the majority of the posters on here have quite a lot of sympathy and respect for the riders in this sport. However, we aren't going to bow down and kiss anyone's ***. We can and will question their results and motives whenever the Hell we feel like it. Keep in mind that every one of your useless posts in this thread is just bumping the "why does Floyd Landis suck now" thread title to the top of the page and giving further bad PR to your idol. If you want to contribute why don't you consider weighing in with some of your experience on the other discussions going on here? It seems like you may have some insider knowlege of the sport but you prefer snide moralizing to participation. Anyway, I'm not sure if you noticed but I personally have not once in this thread accused Floyd of "sucking" but you are really tempting me.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
Oh my God, I can't believe it. The ability to remove emotion and personal bias and make a coherent statement based in fact. Are you married?... Do you want to be? Wait... what's you gender... you know what? I don't even care... call me!!

This is my favorite post... ever! Thanks for sharing this effort. Although there is a mis-spell. You can can expect to hear from the spelling PPPolice on that. Then there will be the obligatory "get a room" or "take it to an English Major's website", but hang tough; it's not easy in here. They like their double standard.

You're welcome!

And I am pleased to hear that you have added me to your list of idols. Although that's just an assumption deduced from the statements that you want to marry me and 'This is my favorite post... ever!'.

So I hope you will show some deference when you talk about me in the future, while I keep on trying to live up to your expectations.

BikeCentric said:
You know buddy if you'd open your eyes and read a bit more I think it would become obvious to you that the majority of the posters on here have quite a lot of sympathy and respect for the riders in this sport. However, we aren't going to bow down and kiss anyone's ***. We can and will question their results and motives whenever the Hell we feel like it. Keep in mind that every one of your useless posts in this thread is just bumping the "why does Floyd Landis suck now" thread title to the top of the page and giving further bad PR to your idol. If you want to contribute why don't you consider weighing in with some of your experience on the other discussions going on here? It seems like you may have some insider knowlege of the sport but you prefer snide moralizing to participation. Anyway, I'm not sure if you noticed but I personally have not once in this thread accused Floyd of "sucking" but you are really tempting me.

Thank you BikeCentric for taking the emotion out of it. I really appreciate your post. In the end, this isn't about Floyd, (I am amused by the idol worship thread), and it isn't about me, or you. It is about a pervasive attitude in sports that an athlete owes us anything more than his best effort. If he's giving that (winning or losing) what right do we have to criticize his character or his life. Sure have all the opinions you want, but don't post them as truths on the internet... they're opinions

Criticize his racing, his tactics, his bike handling... These are objective, on display, and open to your interpretation, as part of the deal he made when he became a Pro. But I've read far too many broad sweeping comments about character by people who know really nothing about it. Sites like this tend to promote the practice (not you specifically) It's rumor mongering, and it becomes urban legend, and it damages lives and careers.

Here's an example; I have seen, so many times, in print on websites, in blogs, letters to editor, and even in magazines by irresponsible journalists, a ridiculous urban legend that Tyler Hamilton claimed to have a disappearing twin in utero as part of his legal defense. Have you heard it? Have you ever made a snide comments about it? Do you think other people believe it?

Well... It never happened. Yet how many times do you think Tyler has had to listen to some a$$hole talking sh!t to him about it over the barriers in a start or finish area of a race in the past few years. And we wonder why the poor guy suffers form depression.

Then the press and the bloggers jump all over his **** for taking a homeopathic supplement for depression containing DHEA? I take DHEA everyday! And if you're an athlete over 40 you should be taking it too. Hell it could have been Prozac. Which is worse? This is not Doping! Yes it's banned, and he knew it, and he will have to pay, but he was retiring anyway. Maybe in some twisted way it was his big "f@#k you" to all of us.

The point is this stuff affects lives, and call me crazy, but lives are more important than race results. Maybe if the prevalent attitude in cycling fans shifted more in that direction we wouldn't have as much doping as we do.

I'm not on a mission here too be an a$$hole, although I've been told I'm good at it. And I know Pop culture is beyond my feeble efforts to change. I just like to challenge the popular misconception every now and then and encourage a little humility. Somebody has to do it.

Bala Verde said:
You're welcome!

And I am pleased to hear that you have added me to your list of idols. Although that's just an assumption deduced from the statements that you want to marry me and 'This is my favorite post... ever!'.

So I hope you will show some deference when you talk about me in the future, while I keep on trying to live up to your expectations.

Not it really matters to you or me... but if I had any expectations, you would have far surpassed them. As for my respect you have that as well. Thank you for your cogent insights.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
Here's an example; I have seen, so many times, in print on websites, in blogs, letters to editor, and even in magazines by irresponsible journalists, a ridiculous urban legend that Tyler Hamilton claimed to have a disappearing twin in utero as part of his legal defense. Have you heard it? Have you ever made a snide comments about it? Do you think other people believe it?

Well... It never happened. Yet how many times do you think Tyler has had to listen to some a$$hole talking sh!t to him about it over the barriers in a start or finish area of a race in the past few years. And we wonder why the poor guy suffers form depression.
Umm--you should check your facts a bit more closely: from CN April, 2005:

Of vanishing twins and chimeras

"Working under the assumption that Hamilton did in fact have a mixed RBC population in his body on September 11, 2004, the next part of his defence focused on other causes of said population. Both disease and bone marrow transplant were "ruled out as having a zero probability", leaving Hamilton to argue that he had a 'vanishing twin', that transferred some of its RBCs to Hamilton while he was in the womb, but disappeared in the first trimester of pregnancy; or that he is a human chimera, with a natural mixed RBC population."

So the vanishing twin/chimera possibility was, in fact, part of his court defense. Now whether he came up with it or it was just something his lawyers argued are two different things, but since it was presented in court in his defense, he bears the ultimate responsibility.

You're welcome.