• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Does Floyd Landis Suck now?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Oh, looks like Francis is upset that someone called him on his ridiculous assertion that no one could doubt that Armstrong was clean.

i dont argue with 99, but in the same way i think floyd is riding clean, i also have yet to see any evidence that lance is riding anything other than clean.. youre not a fan are you.. :D

VeloFidelis said:
Wow! Another scrabble player... excellent. You may have just captured it.

When the lowest paid pro on the smallest budget team has more time and effort invested in his career than any of us have ever put into anything in our lives; why should they have to be subjected to the distain and disapproval of a bunch of self professed bike nerds who spend more time on a web site than on their bike?

When you can do it better, talk all the smack you want.

Well, I wasn't talking smack, but your notion that one can only comment on the experiential is patently ridiculous. Without inference, we wouldn't have science, philosophy or be able to function in our daily lives.

But it's a red herring anyway: the question was not whether I can beat Floyd, it was why is Floyd not beating other pros? How you find that question controversial is beyond me.

VeloFidelis said:
When the lowest paid pro on the smallest budget team has more time and effort invested in his career than any of us have ever put into anything in our lives; why should they have to be subjected to the distain and disapproval of a bunch of self professed bike nerds who spend more time on a web site than on their bike?

Uh, this is a bicycling forum, on the internet. Is this the first time you've tried it out? Nothing like ESPN or Sports Illustrated editorial writing in these things. Let alone law proceedings.

When you can do it better, talk all the smack you want.

So the validation as to whether you can criticize or evaluate athletes on an internet message board is only limited to those who can better the athlete in their given sport?

Do you log on to Amazon and under every single user review that pans a book or album comment "when you can do better, talk all the smack you want."?

Do a search for "Alex Rodriguez, Forum" on the net. Or just do a search on here (or CyclingForum, Bicycling.com, VeloNews forums, etc.) for the word "Lance". That should keep you busy for some time reminding those fans of their place.

BigBoat said:
Floyd does not suck... He is not heavily doped right now. His team is nothing to write home about either.

There is alcohol mentioned in a huge number of reports on the Internet by people who meet him. I hope he can get it together, but it sounds like he may have some problems that are not compatible with racing at the highest level.

Alpe d'Huez said:
If true, that's bad news. One sad story (Tyler) a year is enough.

I guess I should clarify my other post. I'm not saying that he is a raging drunk. Just that it looks like he might enjoy drinking more than is healthy for an elite athlete. Then again, Hamitlon has been boozing it up and he managed to win the national championship.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Uh, this is a bicycling forum, on the internet. Is this the first time you've tried it out? Nothing like ESPN or Sports Illustrated editorial writing in these things. Let alone law proceedings.

So the validation as to whether you can criticize or evaluate athletes on an internet message board is only limited to those who can better the athlete in their given sport?

Do you log on to Amazon and under every single user review that pans a book or album comment "when you can do better, talk all the smack you want."?

Do a search for "Alex Rodriguez, Forum" on the net. Or just do a search on here (or CyclingForum, Bicycling.com, VeloNews forums, etc.) for the word "Lance". That should keep you busy for some time reminding those fans
of their place.

Ohh it is abundantly clear this is a Cycling Forum... Can I offer up some cheese to go with that whine?

There is no validation for criticism when it comes in the form of a personal attack. Just because it exists elsewhere doesn't justify it. By your logic we can say, Hey, child abuse exists... I guess that makes it OK. (can't wait to see the thread tangent on that one)

Here's a bit of irony for you. I see a posting of yours today lamenting a rumor of alcohol abuse by Floyd. The sentiment seems to be genuine. And yet you can't make the connection however big or small to the personal attacks and rumor mongering that go on here and elsewhere, which become the urban legends, which become the alternate reality, which in the end defines the man.

There are plenty here that would say he did it to himself, and they are not wrong. But that same plenty sure thought he was the "Bomb" when he was kicking but and taking names on stage 17. Were we all fools then and justified now, or is it as I fear, the other way around?

BroDeal said:
I guess I should clarify my other post. I'm not saying that he is a raging drunk. Just that it looks like he might enjoy drinking more than is healthy for an elite athlete. Then again, Hamitlon has been boozing it up and he managed to win the national championship.

Dude!!! It's working! Praise thee Lord and pass the peas! I don't believe it.

Thank you Brother

Alpe d'Huez said:
You're a troll and a moron. How you can equate criticizing sports athletes, or even reviews of books on Amazon, to child abuse is just pathetic.

Don't feed the troll Alpe (or anyone else). I know I'm guilty of doing it as well but I won't be feeding this particular troll again - I had high hopes for him as "particularly talented troll" but I was quite mistaken. Poor guy can't even spell. :(

BikeCentric said:
Don't feed the troll Alpe (or anyone else). I know I'm guilty of doing it as well but I won't be feeding this particular troll again - I had high hopes for him as "particularly talented troll" but I was quite mistaken. Poor guy can't even spell. :(

Do you mmake fun of pppeople who sstutter ttoo?

BikeCentric said:
You're right Bike. My bad.

I'm out of here. Someone else can reply to his asinine posts.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
I see a posting of yours today lamenting a rumor of alcohol abuse by Floyd. The sentiment seems to be genuine. And yet you can't make the connection however big or small to the personal attacks and rumor mongering that go on here and elsewhere, which become the urban legends, which become the alternate reality, which in the end defines the man.

Speaking of booze.... check out this fruitcake... do you know him ?
____

Poor Lance Armstrong can't catch a break—well, aside from actually breaking his collarbone during a race in Spain, we mean.

After crashing during the run-up to his stunningly ambitious eighth Tour de France, Lance was on a flight from Madrid to Atlanta. And apparently the sometimes-womanizer took his self-pity out on the other passengers.

Perhaps he knew how bad surgery was going to be, what with that steel plate and those 12 screws he'd just had implanted in his collarbone, which was busted in four spots?

Regardless, an A.T. reader on the flight with L.A. contacted us and described how unpleasant the 36-year-old cancer-surviving cyclist was:
"He was such an ***," ranted our onboard babe. "He was so wasted on painkillers, and he drank a lot. It was just obnoxious."
So how much did he chug exactly? "Enough to be cut off," the witness told us. And that was in first class, where the booze flows freely until passengers usually cut themselves off, honeys.

After *****in' for a while, Lancey, who had his arm in a sling, finally went to sleep, much to the flight attendants' and other passengers' joy.

We get the guy is hurtin', but come on, man, no need to be obnoxious about it. Let's just hope he was easing the physical pain of the injury and not of Kate Hudson and Owen Wilson's supposed reconciliation.

After all, I pretty much adore Lance, and not just because he's got such great legs (which I've seen super up close). Surely he was having a bad day, nothing more?

Reps for Lance, so far, have not responded for comment.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:

Because they are pro atheletes, and therefore, in the ENTERTAINMENT business.

You must be a lot of fun at ball games. "Hey everyone, stop criticizing the quarterback" (batter, pitcher, point guard, whatever). "He's better at the game than we are!"

And if you have never put more into SOMETHING in your life than a lowest paid pro on the smallest budget team has put into his bike riding (meaning I guess you've never worked more than 25 hours a week?), well then, congratulations on your life of leisure.

Kennf1 said:
Because they are pro atheletes, and therefore, in the ENTERTAINMENT business.

You must be a lot of fun at ball games. "Hey everyone, stop criticizing the quarterback" (batter, pitcher, point guard, whatever). "He's better at the game than we are!"

And if you have never put more into SOMETHING in your life than a lowest paid pro on the smallest budget team has put into his bike riding (meaning I guess you've never worked more than 25 hours a week?), well then, congratulations on your life of leisure.

Very well put.

hulkgogan said:
Well, I wasn't talking smack, but your notion that one can only comment on the experiential is patently ridiculous. Without inference, we wouldn't have science, philosophy or be able to function in our daily lives.

But it's a red herring anyway: the question was not whether I can beat Floyd, it was why is Floyd not beating other pros? How you find that question controversial is beyond me.

Damn! You missed the point so completely, and I had such high hopes.

First of all, my comment was not about you talking smack... think a little bigger.

Secondly, of course it's ridiculous, which is why I didn't say it. The experiential is why you come here. We all have the "experience" in common. You come here talk about it.

We all ride. We all have a unique common bond. All any of us really knows about any Pro is that he rides a bike, these are his results, and he rides better than me. The rest is all conjecture.

As a cyclist you have at least some common insight as to the sacrifice, time and effort it must take to be: the lowest paid rider on the smallest budget team. Who should know better how hard it is, than we who cannot achieve it.

You mention inference, excellent point, but inference should not lead to denigration unless logic is removed. What about deference? If we are all cyclist speaking from a common experience, why does the Pro who is off the back, yet still so much better than any of us, Suck, yet we do not. As an example of human behavior, don't you find that question the least bit interesting?

The question was never about, can I beat that Pro up the hill. It was; do you have any idea how hard it is to go as fast as the slowest Pro. As a cyclist you should have some idea, and if you do; how can that rider Suck? Maybe the question is too existential for this forum. I would hope not, but I have been disappointed before.

So the point remains, that while your inference may be: "the question is, why is Floyd not beating other pros? How you find that question controversial is beyond me.", the heading of this forum page remains, "Why Does Floyd Landis Suck now?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
Damn! You missed the point so completely, and I had such high hopes.

First of all, my comment was not about you talking smack... think a little bigger.

Secondly, of course it's ridiculous, which is why I didn't say it. The experiential is why you come here. We all have the "experience" in common. You come here talk about it.

We all ride. We all have a unique common bond. All any of us really knows about any Pro is that he rides a bike, these are his results, and he rides better than me. The rest is all conjecture.

As a cyclist you have at least some common insight as to the sacrifice, time and effort it must take to be: the lowest paid rider on the smallest budget team. Who should know better how hard it is, than we who cannot achieve it.

You mention inference, excellent point, but inference should not lead to denigration unless logic is removed. What about deference? If we are all cyclist speaking from a common experience, why does the Pro who is off the back, yet still so much better than any of us, Suck, yet we do not. As an example of human behavior, don't you find that question the least bit interesting?

The question was never about, can I beat that Pro up the hill. It was; do you have any idea how hard it is to go as fast as the slowest Pro. As a cyclist you should have some idea, and if you do; how can that rider Suck? Maybe the question is too existential for this forum. I would hope not, but I have been disappointed before.

So the point remains, that while your inference may be: "the question is, why is Floyd not beating other pros? How you find that question controversial is beyond me.", the heading of this forum page remains, "Why Does Floyd Landis Suck now?

Then I guess someone, possibly the originator of this thread, should first define "to suck" in this particular context, and clarify if he intended the verb ''to suck'' pejoratively, and/or if it was directed at FL personally, or possibly to refer to his results amongst pro-atletes.

Otherwise you seem to be assuming, or perhaps you infered that, that he used the verb "to suck" malignly.

Bala Verde said:
Then I guess someone, possibly the originator of this thread, should first define "to suck" in this particular context, and clarify if he intended the verb ''to suck'' pejoratively, and/or if it was directed at FL personally, or possibly to refer to his results amongst pro-atletes.

Otherwise you seem to be assuming, or perhaps you infered that, that he used the verb "to suck" malignly.

Are you inferring otherwise?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
Are you inferring otherwise?

–verb (used without object)
7. to draw something in by producing a partial vacuum in the mouth, esp. to draw milk from the breast.
8. to draw or be drawn by or as if by suction.
9. (of a pump) to draw air instead of water, as when the water is low or a valve is defective.
10. Slang. to behave in a fawning manner (usually fol. by around).
11. Slang. to be repellent or disgusting: Poverty sucks.

I presume, and I think you can agree, that the author of this thread used the verb "to suck" in the sense listed under 11.

The titel of this thread is "Why Does Floyd Landis Suck now?"

Substituting the verb "suck" in the titel with the synonymous meaning under 11, we get the following:

Why Is Floyd Landis Repellent now? or Why Is Floyd Landis Disgusting now?

That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense, to me at least. Did the author really want to say that he noticed that Floyd's face had turned purple with black and green spots, and had in effect become repellent? Had he smelled Floyd before a race, and thought, what a disgusting stench? It might be instructive to turn to the dictionary again.

You will see that the dictionary used an example. "Poverty sucks". Obviously it is difficult to infer what the exact meaning is of those two words, ie there is no 'context'.

When we try to put those two words into a context, from which meaning can be derived, I suggest the following

- A person, who is witnessing a scene in which a person is scraping food from the inside of a garbage container and subsequently eats it, says "poverty sucks".

1) Does he mean, 'Ugh that is repellent/disgusting, I am glad I am not like him, a stinking, filthy animal who eats whatever he can, whenever'?

Here the ACT of the poor person, who makes poverty visible merely by scraping food from a container, in other words, he embodies poverty, is found repellent, and which leads to (perhaps unfound) conclusion that the person is disgusting. The focus is on the person's attributes/qualities, in effect, the person in the observer's mind, has become 'disgusting'.

2) Does he mean, 'Ugh that is disgusting/repellent, he needs some compassion so that he does not have to be in such a repellent/disgusting situation.

Here the SITUATION the poor person is in, is found to be disgusting. The ACT of scraping food from the inside of the container, is perceived as something inhumane, disgudting, and by psychologically taking his place for a moment, it leads to the (perhaps unfound) conclusion that the poor person needs some compassion in order to escape it. The focus is on the person's situation, hence the person in the observer's mind is to be pitied, because of the 'disgusting' situation he finds himself in.

How does the author of the thread interpret the verb "to suck"? Or better, how do you interpret the words of the author of this thread?

Thats! what I'm talkin bout

Bala Verde said:
–v
How does the author of the thread interpret the verb "to suck"? Or better, how do you interpret the words of the author of this thread?

Oh my God, I can't believe it. The ability to remove emotion and personal bias and make a coherent statement based in fact. Are you married?... Do you want to be? Wait... what's you gender... you know what? I don't even care... call me!!

This is my favorite post... ever! Thanks for sharing this effort. Although there is a mis-spell. You can can expect to hear from the spelling PPPolice on that. Then there will be the obligatory "get a room" or "take it to an English Major's website", but hang tough; it's not easy in here. They like their double standard.