• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why is Cyclingnews giving LeMond a platform?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Although I am sure this subject will send the 'anti-doping' crowd into orbit for daring to question the orthodoxy, I have a serious question for cyclingnews: Why are you giving Greg LeMond a platform to publically rehash the same tired information?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/greg-lemond/bravo-to-the-new-generation

We've all been listening to Greg whine about this exact issue for almost a decade now, and when do you finally get to say, "Enough, lets see some proof rather than just what you 'know' or 'heard'?"

No one, no agency, no body, can do anything with this constant chant of accusation devoid of proof. And attempting to dress up yet another tired accusation as a boon to the 'new' generation of dope free riders, only weeks after he joined FL in condeming every aspect of cycling is quite frankly insulting.

I have said this before, and I say it again, GL and FL may be right on, but in order to rise above the level of school play ground innuendo you have to have proof to back up what you say.

If Greg cares about cycling, stop publically battling LA (there is more to the sport than Lance big guy) and actually do something for the sport! For cycling news, I appreciate the reporting on the latest scandal, but at some point we actually want real news - not the same sort of sensationalized accusation dressed up as something 'new'.

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
gree0232 said:
Although I am sure this subject will send the 'anti-doping' crowd into orbit for daring to question the orthodoxy, I have a serious question for cyclingnews: Why are you giving Greg LeMond a platform to publically rehash the same tired information?

We've all been listening to Greg whine about this exact issue for almost a decade now, and when do you finally get to say, "Enough, lets see some proof rather than just what you 'know' or 'heard'?"

No one, no agency, no body, can do anything with this constant chant of accusation devoid of proof. And attempting to dress up yet another tired accusation as a boon to the 'new' generation of dope free riders, only weeks after he joined FL in condeming every aspect of cycling is quite frankly insulting.

I have said this before, and I say it again, GL and FL may be right on, but in order to rise above the level of school play ground innuendo you have to have proof to back up what you say.

If Greg cares about cycling, stop publically battling LA (there is more to the sport than Lance big guy) and actually do something for the sport! For cycling news, I appreciate the reporting on the latest scandal, but at some point we actually want real news - not the same sort of sensationalized accusation dressed up as something 'new'.

Why not allow the one clean American champion have his say? He was held down by Trek(from critisizing LA)for a long time. And I don't really see him 'going after LA.' He makes a couple comments and moves on with a positive message.

I said this before and I'll say it again: What others see as bitterness and/or jealousy I see as an honest clean former champion disgusted by the doped peloton. And seeing another American creating a myth around himself all the while doped up as possible must really disgust him.

Remember too, he has seen LA's bullying of others and been a recipient of it himself, well think about it, really think about it, how would YOU feel about that? Also, Greg says LA admitted to doping during a phone conversation. How much more proof does Greg need?

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Why a platform? Simply because he's right. Has been all along. Except this time, it's hard for LA's camp to spin the 'crazy talk' position when you got half the dude's team saying "yeah, we did it.".

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Joking right?

gree0232 said:
actually do something for the sport!

You've got to be joking with that comment.

How many Tour de Frances have you won???

Greg has walked the walk so he's got the right to speak. If you don't want to listen (or read what he says fine) just keep rubbing your little yellow security bracelet and move along.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
tofino said:

Greg has walked the walk so he's got the right to speak. If you don't want to listen (or read what he says fine) just keep rubbing your little yellow security bracelet and move along.

Brilliant +1

The answer is easy, it sells clicks.

Lemond is an attention wh0r3. I can't really object to cycling news selling clicks, but I find Lemond to be in bad taste. There is no need to focus on this in the midst of the tour especially considering when lance isn't even challenging for the win. Lemond is just continuing to make himself look like an a$$.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Lemon D

I too thought giving Lemond an article on Cycling News was bad judgement, particularly when the matter is being investigated by various authorities. All of what Lemond writes (and from everything I've read over the years) is simply heresay. Investigating authorities typically give this kind of third party rumor very low credibility for good reason. Rehashing the old Dr Ferrari association in the media again and again is simply a method of trying to give an assumption some credibility. Why would CN want to give airplay to a well published vexatious assumption during a proper enquiry.

Sure LA beat guys that were on the juice. How do we know? Because they got tested and got busted. LA got tested too and passed. LA was rumoured to have visited Dr Ferrari who was proven to be a doping Doctor because his riders got tested and got busted. LA got tested too, and passed. So when facts fail to convict LA they have to develop conspiracy theories like LA paying off everyone including the UCI, WADA, teammates and the media. Like LA doing a deal with the US Navy to access synthetic blood being developed for combat wounds. Like LA doing a deal with the CIA to test genetic material found at Area 51. Like LA's experimental kryptonite radiation cancer therapy that turned him into 'Radioactive Man' with super powers. Let's just stick with the facts and accept that Floymond have made their allegations and they're now being dealt with. Though I'm sure when LA is found not to have a case to answer, Floymond et al will claim that LA hypnotized the Grand Jury with his radioactive powers.
radioactive+man.png

Hangdog98 said:
I too thought giving Lemond an article on Cycling News was bad judgement, particularly when the matter is being investigated by various authorities. All of what Lemond writes (and from everything I've read over the years) is simply heresay. Investigating authorities typically give this kind of third party rumor very low credibility for good reason. Rehashing the old Dr Ferrari association in the media again and again is simply a method of trying to give an assumption some credibility. Why would CN want to give airplay to a well published vexatious assumption during a proper enquiry.

Sure LA beat guys that were on the juice. How do we know? Because they got tested and got busted. LA got tested too and passed. LA was rumoured to have visited Dr Ferrari who was proven to be a doping Doctor because his riders got tested and got busted. LA got tested too, and passed. So when facts fail to convict LA they have to develop conspiracy theories like LA paying off everyone including the UCI, WADA, teammates and the media. Like LA doing a deal with the US Navy to access synthetic blood being developed for combat wounds. Like LA doing a deal with the CIA to test genetic material found at Area 51. Like LA's experimental kryptonite radiation cancer therapy that turned him into 'Radioactive Man' with super powers. Let's just stick with the facts and accept that Floymond have made their allegations and they're now being dealt with. Though I'm sure when LA is found not to have a case to answer, Floymond et al will claim that LA hypnotized the Grand Jury with his radioactive powers.
radioactive+man.png
Tested and passed? Rumoured to have visited Ferrari?

I thought Public Strategies was better than this.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
LeMond has one of the fastest Tour time trials ever? How was he able to acheive this? Considering he was the only clean cyclist, didnt spend countless hours in wind tunnels and not riding $15k TT bikes. Even Cancellara with his motor bike hasn't bested LeMond. Little fishy LeMond. Of course I have no proof of this.

Just Sayin'

sufferface said:
LeMond has one of the fastest Tour time trials ever? How was he able to acheive this? Considering he was the only clean cyclist, didnt spend countless hours in wind tunnels and not riding $15k TT bikes. Even Cancellara with his motor bike hasn't bested LeMond. Little fishy LeMond. Of course I have no proof of this.

Just Sayin'

Well, you certainly waited a long time to show us how little you know about cycling.

Take a look at that course profile skippy.

Hangdog98 said:
Rehashing the old Dr Ferrari association in the media again and again is simply a method of trying to give an assumption some credibility. Why would CN want to give airplay to a well published vexatious assumption during a proper enquiry.

Lance Armstrong Response to Dr. Michele Ferrari Italian Court Decision

"I was disappointed to learn of the Italian court's judgment against Dr. Michele Ferrari. Dr. Ferrari has been a longtime friend and trusted adviser to me and the USPS team, during which time he never suggested, prescribed or provided me with any performance-enhancing drugs. I was pleased to hear that Dr. Ferrari was acquitted of the charge of providing illegal drugs to athletes. I am not surprised by that verdict. However, I have always said that I have zero tolerance for anyone convicted of using or facilitating the use of performance-enhancing drugs. As a result of today's developments, the USPS team and I have suspended our professional affiliation with Dr. Ferrari as we await the release of the full verdict, which will contain Judge Maurizio Passerini's reasoning. In the meantime, I personally wish the very best for Dr. Ferrari and his family during this difficult time."

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
tofino said:

"just keep rubbing your little yellow security bracelet and move along."

sufferface said:

Just Sayin'

Don't forget the chronic doper Boardman and his prologue record.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
The worst part? It wasn't even a well written blog. Just another "see I was right" rehash of something he said years and years ago. He skewers the sport for 5 or 6 paragraphs and then throws in a completely unrelated and illogical "bravo" to the current riders? You'd think he'd have time to work on his writing skills during the last 20+ years of semi retirement.

sufferface said:

Just Sayin'

Ok, you're not allowed to mention the downhill/tailwind 89 TT again. It's not proof anyone doped.

I averaged 48kph in a TT once on my standard road bike with no aero anything during a stage race. I was also a pretty average tt rider at the level I rode at. How did I do it? Wasn't drugs (I couldn't afford them even if I wanted them). Downhill and tailwind. Like magic!

Now if only downhill and tailwind could let me average 6.5+ watts/kg for 40 minutes at the end of a 200km stage....maybe I'd still be racing!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
gree0232 said:
Why are you giving Greg LeMond a platform to publically rehash the same tired information?

Well, I suspect that the fact that Lemond has won the Tour 3 times has something to do with it.

I'm also fairly sure he contracted to write this column for CN BEFORE the Landis allegations went public. So he's basically talking about current events in cycling.

As for proof and incriminating evidence, there's already some out there if you take your Livestrong sunglasses off long enough to look for it:

Lance Armstrong tested positive for corticoids during the 1999 Tour de France.

In late August 2005, one month after Lance Armstrong's seventh consecutive Tour victory, the French sports newspaper L'Équipe claimed evidence that Armstrong had used EPO in the 1999 Tour de France. The claim was based on urine samples archived by the French National Laboratory for Doping Detection (LNDD) for research. The UCI confirmed that its own doctor Mario Zorzoli leaked the 15 forms tying Armstrong to the positive tests to L'Équipe.

Frankie Andreu (former US Postal rider) admitted in September 2006 that he had taken EPO to help prepare for the 1999 Tour de France.

Gianpaolo Mondini was sacked from US Postal after it was known that police found EPO and growth hormones in his hotel room during 2001 Giro d'Italia. He admitted using illegal substances.

Tyler Hamilton (former US Postal rider) tested positive for blood doping at the 2004 Vuelta a España, where he won April 8 stage. In April 2005 he was banned for 2 years for blood doping.

Roberto Heras (former US Postal rider) and winner of an unprecedented fourth Vuelta a España, tested positive for EPO prior to the penultimate stage of the 2005 Vuelta a España.

Ivan Basso was expelled from the Tour de France in the week prior to its commencement due to his involvement in the Operación Puerto doping case. On 30 April 2007 Team Discovery Channel announced that Basso would be released from his contract on Basso's request.

On July 27, 2006 the Phonak team announced that Floyd Landis (former US Postal rider) and winner of the 2006 Tour, tested positive after stage 17 for an abnormally high ratio of the hormone testosterone to epitestosterone.

Manuel Beltrán (former US Postal rider) tested positive for EPO after the first stage of the Tour de France. The news broke on 11 July 2008.

TRENDING THREADS