• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why is Pogacar riding the Giro?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Why is Pogacar riding the Giro?

• He wants to give Roglic a fair chance at a Tour to make up for the 2020 ninja move

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Imagine the counter-factual where Vingegaard had a similar condition and incident after the Tour last year as Van Hooydonck had after the Tour of Britain. Vingegaard would not only end his season then, but announce before the season was over that he would retire permanently from the sport.

Would Pogi still ride the Giro this year then?
Then he would do the triple. I'm not even sure I'm kidding.

Reactions: noob and AmRacer
Well, yeah. Or are you gonna tell me he'd be pooping his pants at Roglic?

If he's so afraid why isn't he doing Giro/Vuelta with the excuse of 'I wanna win them all'
I don't think he is too scarred to ever face him again. I think he prefers to win a GT and doubts that he can win the Tour against Vingegaard.

I also don't think the team/sponsors would allow him to miss the Tour.

Reactions: noob
Even before the Tour 2022 and 2023 were lost to Vingo, Pogacar was already in a path of attempting to win in every ground and style like the legends of the past. By exploring his capabilities to the maximum, he has bended the sport script again, and all this thanks to his sheer will and acumen. The Giro is part of that solitary path where race variety is more important than a single objective.

Imagine the counter-factual where Vingegaard had a similar condition and incident after the Tour last year as Van Hooydonck had after the Tour of Britain. Vingegaard would not only end his season then, but announce before the season was over that he would retire permanently from the sport.

Yes.

I don't think he is too scarred to ever face him again. I think he prefers to win a GT and doubts that he can win the Tour against Vingegaard.
Likely you are right he doubts he can beat Vingegaard, but you never know. He also competes to win every race he enters. So why not give the double a go. He has nothing to lose and there is only one Pogacar in the peloton.

Nobody else can do what he is showing across such versatile races and for most of the season. I think Valverde was closest in the recent past but not anything like Pog's level.

I'm going with "Other" = He just wants to..

This.

"Why is Pogacar riding the Giro"? Why was he riding La Strade today? He wants to win everything.

After wearing his first pink jersey, Tadej will want more. He can beat all sorts of records and he's young. Why not make Italy his kingdom and only race Le Tour when the conditions (route, opposition,strength of his team...) are perfect.

He won't forget La Vuelta. And that will be epic.

Pog wants to win everything. Multiple times :).

Because it gives the impression that people who disagree with you must be cognitively impaired.
It was a simple retort to the remark that most are overthinking it, not a response to a difference of opinion on the subject.

I don’t feel responsible for anyone’s possible sense of inferiority. I also see under-/overthinking as being distinct from aptitude, and closer to how long you allow a train of thought to run.

Last edited:

Late response, but without Vingegaard I think he would have the best chance to do the Giro-Tour double in 21st century, higher than Contador 2011 or Froome 2018 in my opinion.

But I think he also decided to go there to not be winless in GTs for a 3rd straight year. Also, all great GT riders have ridden and won Giro except Armstrong (well, and Vingegaard for now but I think he will go there in a few years too), so that plays a part too.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Late response, but without Vingegaard I think he would have the best chance to do the Giro-Tour double in 21st century, higher than Contador 2011 or Froome 2018 in my opinion.

But I think he also decided to go there to not be winless in GTs for a 3rd straight year. Also, all great GT riders have ridden and won Giro except Armstrong (well, and Vingegaard for now but I think he will go there in a few years too), so that plays a part too.
Poggi wants to win everything and now is a good time to win the Giro. That's why.

Perhaps my comment did not come over clearly.
My point was not that they could win particular races, but that due to their status and standing they can decide their own races.
Lots of these discussions on why..almost never factor in the start money he got for the race, so overall purse is probably not a big factor for a rider like Pogacar but he is probably making money win or lose from these events.
TDF is a bit of a perpetual motion machine w super high demand, Giro and Vuelta and many others benefit from World Champion and TDF champion racing in their event.