• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Is The Magila Rosa Pink?

Ok, either you are relatively new to cycling or having a laugh here. The leaders jersey is pink because the main backer of the race has always been Italian sports paper La Gazzetta dello Sport which is printed in pink paper, hence the Maglia Rosa. They more or less copied the Tour de France in giving the leaders jersey the colour of the paper that backed the race, in France, L'Auto I think.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Captain Chaos said:
:)

Who thought of that? It's hard enough out there for cycling fans in the US having to put up with crappy comments about "spandex" and what not. I don't care if pink is the new black.

what gives?

For the sam reason the yellow is yellow, the giro was set up to provide publicity for the La Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper. The paper is printed on pink pages.

pmcg76 said:
Ok, either you are relatively new to cycling or having a laugh here.

caught me

what kind of fruit cake would print a newspaper on pink paper. Get a clue, the printed word is dead anyways. Smart people get their news from forums.

On a side not I'm starting to believe that this whole Grand Tour thing is a shame, made up by reporters to manufacture a story. I say bring back those 700 km races from yesteryear or those races where you ride as slow as possible.

Can anyone tell where the name "madison" came from because I'm starting to follow track cycling and I'm hoping the adversing industry didn't make that up.

slowdave said:
also called "à l'américaine" because it started in the 30's at Madison Square Garden in New york.
what else can we help u with?

this is fun.

here are a 3 I can think of

1. Someone was telling me that cycling is racist. I don't believe that and I found out about a dude named Rashan Bahanti. I placed a major bet that there have been more black cyclists.

2. Was there ever a real Team Cinzano because I was forced to watch breaking away and I was not down with those dudes at all.

3. Is it possible to ride with a twin?

all for now.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Captain Chaos said:
this is fun.

1. Someone was telling me that cycling is racist. I don't believe that and I found out about a dude named Rashan Bahanti. I placed a major bet that there have been more black cyclists.

2. Was there ever a real Team Cinzano because I was forced to watch breaking away and I was not down with those dudes at all.

3. Is it possible to ride with a twin?

all for now.

can help with No 1, Gregory Bauge french track sprinter current world champ.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Captain Chaos said:
this is fun.

all for now.

I'll take this one

Never ever question the reality of Cinzano. Dude, that’s heresy. First rule is, you must be respectful when talking about anything having to do with Breaking Away lest you want a little frame pump action, if you know what I mean. :eek:

A

Anonymous

pmcg76 said:
Ok, either you are relatively new to cycling or having a laugh here.

dont be harsh.. we all at some point asked the same question... :confused:

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Question 1

Captain Chaos said:
this is fun.

Nelson Vails was a massively powerfull U.S track rider back in the 80's. I'm not 100% sure but I think he won a medal at the 84 Olympics.

marinoni said:
Captain Chaos said:
this is fun.

Nelson Vails was a massively powerfull U.S track rider back in the 80's. I'm not 100% sure but I think he won a medal at the 84 Olympics.

yep, he won silver I believe. Met him at a race in Boulder last year. Super friendly dude.

Captain Chaos said:

caught me

what kind of fruit cake would print a newspaper on pink paper. Get a clue, the printed word is dead anyways. Smart people get their news from forums.

You are obviously someone with a rather limited mindset. The whole concept of pink as a "fruit cake," girlyman's color is a modern concept of beer chugging, tabaca spittin, rednecks who only relate to the NFL/WWA menatality.

La Gazzetta dello Sport, by contrast, is a late XIX century Italian newspaper, thus its choice in having the newspaper pink was based on a hue suited to the image of the fashionable and gentlemanly sportsman dandy of that era within a Mediterranean culture. By the way, many homes in Italy are painted pink also and other "gay" colors too, yet nobody here finds anything remotely "queer" in that. It is simple regarded as vivace and bello.

rhubroma said:
You are obviously someone with a rather limited mindset. The whole concept of pink as a "fruit cake," girlyman's color is a modern concept of beer chugging, tabaca spittin, rednecks who only relate to the NFL/WWA menatality.

:D You have no idea! I just finished my latest issues of Art Forum and Conde Naste so I decided to log back in and see if anyone who takes themselves way to seriously bit on my line and sure enough you did. I love goofing on forums with elitist snobs who always love preaching to the choir while not realizing they are chasing away the congregation. Then again don't we all love following a sport that the average dip **** can't comprehend.:rolleyes:

rhubroma said:
La Gazzetta dello Sport, by contrast, is a late XIX century Italian newspaper, thus its choice in having the newspaper pink was based on a hue suited to the image of the fashionable and gentlemanly sportsman dandy of that era within a Mediterranean culture. By the way, many homes in Italy are painted pink also and other "gay" colors too, yet nobody here finds anything remotely "queer" in that. It is simple regarded as vivace and bello.

Fer shizzle! Thanks for dropping some Italian on me. I'm always looking for a chance to use the free on-line italian to english translator! How do you think I edumacated myself on what Tifosi meant!

BTW (By The Way) Pink is the new black, at least as of last year.:)

TRENDING THREADS