• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why isn't anyone talking about Levi?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
We'll see. Even if Radioshack puts itself totally behind him, and I think they will, including LA (unless the unlikely opportunity for a stage win comes up) I don't think Levi will make the podium. Top 10 maybe and that's nothing to be ashamed of, but there would have to be some carnage in front of him to podium IMO.

Like I said though, we'll see, Anything can happen.

*** edited by mod ***

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
horner isn't a GC rider, radioshack really need to get behind levi, armstrong is a busted flush now, kloden always seems to struggle right at the top of the mountains, brako is obviously not in form.

but leipheimer is a notorious wheelsucker and wheelsuckers don't win tours.

well ... not since 2005

Thee_chisa said:
horner isn't a GC rider, radioshack really need to get behind levi, armstrong is a busted flush now, kloden always seems to struggle right at the top of the mountains, brako is obviously not in form.

"A busted flush"? LOL! I've never heard that one before but I love it!

9000ft said:
We'll see. Even if Radioshack puts itself totally behind him, and I think they will, including LA (unless the unlikely opportunity for a stage win comes up) I don't think Levi will make the podium. Top 10 maybe and that's nothing to be ashamed of, but there would have to be some carnage in front of him to podium IMO.

Like I said though, we'll see, Anything can happen.

*** edited by mod ***

If Radioshack puts itself totally behind Levi he'll be lost with no wheel to draft!:D
Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up.

Thee_chisa said:

Additionally it seems that Leipheimer gets his best results riding in support of another rider. When he's the team leader he can't handle the pressure.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:

you're right, of course. levi didn't peak early this year and he's the only one on the team that can podium.

ed rader

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
If Radioshack puts itself totally behind Levi he'll be lost with no wheel to draft!:D
Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up.

LOL! That's good I like that. I'll betcha he was tweetin' as pieces of his skin where being left behind on the pavement. Them's some nasty crashes he's absorbed. Considering he'd never really been a crasher before and how many times the guy has hit the deck since his un-retirement I'd imagine he's getting pretty sick of it.

I mean, I've had enough road rash, stitches, and gnarly bruise's to know that a crash once and a while ain't no fun; to crash repeatedly in such a short period of time can't make getting back on the bike easy. Of course that's what pro riders do but still.... Kind of like CVV and anyone else who keeps getting back on the bike after beating the crap out of themselves like that, after a point, I'm not sure if I admire it or not. I guess for a lot of guys it's the only way they have of getting a paycheck, but LA isn't one of those guys.

He's probably thinking he should have stayed retired and just chilled in his house in Aspen boffing young Hollywood starlets. (Come to think of it, that doesn't sound too bad to me. :cool:)

All that said, we'll see what happens with Mr. LA next. He said he want's to enjoy the rest of his last tour, work for Levi, and maybe get a stage win. Now that the thought of and pressure of winning or being on the podium is gone, I don't see taking him at his word as too big of a stretch. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised or blame him too much if he said, f**k it, there's a hot blond waiting for me in Aspen.

If I had to guess though I'd say he's competitive enough and cares enough, in the very least from a business point of view, about how RS does that he'll stick it out and do his best to help Levi get the best result possible. Maybe he'll even have fun. Man, would that bum out TFF et all or what? :cool:

Thee_chisa said:

Except for Indurain who won 5 largely by wheel sucking.

I don't see Levi winning for the same reasons that Lance couldn't win last year. When the climbers really step on the gas (particularly Andy Schleck and Contador), Levi doesn't have the explosiveness to be able to follow them.

Blakeslee said:
Except for Indurain who won 5 largely by wheel sucking...
And then obliterating everyone in the TT's which, unless the motorcycles are too close in front, means he was also the best non-wheel sucker in the TDF.

I may be in the minority with this thought but the 'Shack Attack' may actually become more of a reality (necessity) now that Lance is an overpaid domestique and could make this Tour even more interesting than it already is. Levi is going to have to be aggressive in the manner of someone like Carlos Sastre who is a better climber but very similar in style. Levi can't match the explosiveness of the others but he can maintain a high tempo for a long time. He's going to need one of those 'you're crazy' moments and just go early and see if he can make it stick. I really hope he doesn't play the same old **** he always does by just hanging on and hope his TT can put him on the podium.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Potomac said:
Because he lacks a killer acceleration and a killer instinct. He's the kind of guy that could podium a GT, but never win. A lot like Evans.
Ok, this supposed to be a job for ACF, but this is just too outrageous.

Evens provides lots of quality laughs by his antics but noone argues he is an exciting, all around, all year, stable throughout all race rider, who does NOT TO SUCK when he is the captain.

No offense to LL, but Levi is nothing of those.
________
Vaporizer wiki

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
what we wouldn't give to see Levi attack on a climb just once... just to see the outcome.

Potomac hit the nail on the head IMO. If Levi did initiate an attack, I think he would crack shortly after and lose big time. He just doesn't have it over any of the big guns, and his time trial is not better than Contador, Evans or Wiggans (not that I consider Wiggans a real contender).

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Ok, name one. :)

They fired him because he stunk.

we are talking about a guy we call the angry midget here..............
and the personality of a piece of paper comment was incredibly genorous...

but he did win the TO germany, from Jan U no less, also the dauphine, and lets not forget TO Cali, TDF and Vuelta podiums and nat champion as well......its actually not misery in terms of palmares

but no i just really dont like that guy, and expect him to crack at some point, frankly as a DS i cant see hireing that guy, just dont want him in my locker room

He would be a threat if he was within two minutes of Contador and Schleck going into the time trial if past time trials can be recreated but I can't seem him making up time on them in the mountains before that. It's not the Tour of California and Contador has improved in the TT. Schleck is better than his brother at the TT which is not saying much.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I think no one is talking about Levi because he's not considered a contender. He's already 2 minutes behind, he'll probably lose more in the mountain and while he's done better than the rest of team RS that is simply because Klöden and LA have disappointed.

He did a reasonable prologue without impressing, and he managed to hang on to what was ultimately not a very selective mountain stage with 11 guys within 10 seconds of each other. He hasn't embarrassed himself but he has done nothing to be considered a real contender - there's just not much to talk about.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
He was dropped early so it might seem like he sucked, but he didn't do bad at all once he found a wheel or two up the road and he didn't lose much time. He's now a miracle away from the podium though.
3 miracles away from a podium.

TRENDING THREADS