• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Simon Yates Suffer Badly?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

loge1884 said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
Lance Armstrong probably had this one right. He just went all out for every second he could get on TD and it ended up costing him. He' is just not experienced enough a rider to know what impact this was going to have on him in the last week. He'll learn from it and probably be a GT winner down the road.

Yeah, although I am not sure, Lance is the one I want to listen to .....
honestly, these cracks and drops are a good thing, of course not particularly for the ones who suffer them, but for cycling as a sport ... remember those "Lance-days" when nobody ever cracked (except Erik Breukink ...) ...
Probably also good for the sport for guys to have a go from 80km out occasionally too but who would be game now with all that Froome has copped?

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Dumoulin also said that compared to last year it was much easier being the chasing one rather than leading, said being in pink costs a lot of extra energy because of all the obligations and everyone wants to attack you. Yates attacked every opportunity on top of that and basically emptied himself. He had to do thag to have any chance of winning but at a great cost. I don't think anyone can ride like that for 3 weeks...

Yes, although he said he wanst to the limit some of his victories, he was close, and later he paid..but, he has been main character of most of the Giro.
Uran sometimes finish at a high level, or even he is second in GC, but he is more unnoticed

toolittle said:
cellardoor said:
rick james said:
do we think if he never went so deep in the TT he might have had something left for the mountains?

He was probably due a slight dip in the 3rd week anyway, but I suspect the 3 stage combo of going deep trying to follow Froome on Zoncolan, then the longish attack on Sunday's stage and finally going too deep in the TT caused the implosion.

Some people said it is related to Froome's high cadence. I haven't watched most of the live broadcast on first 2 weeks. Someone said Froome had just sited and spin his pedal with low gear and high cadence durig first 2 weeks. But Yates stood and pedal hard for a lot of kms.

In the last 2 MTF stages, I saw Froome stood and pedal hard. Anyone has watched full first 2 weeks race?
It seems that Froome has spent some time to learn fast spinning. Is it a factor?

Froomes high cadence isn’t something new. He’s been doing that since at least 2012.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Libertine Seguros said:
2002-CIONI-EVANS001_YS.jpg
Omg this is just what i wanted to post... Yates very much like Evans in that Giro

The big difference being that Yates had been in Pink for the previous 10 stages or so, whereas Evans had slolwy risen up the GC and held it for just the one day.