• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Team Sky will dominate cycling till 2018

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
WonderLance said:
We can all agree that team sky is without doubt the greatest cycling team in the last three deacade, able to dominate the entire cycling season from Feb to Novemeber with their own brand of attacking racing, brillant tactics and science.

But its key to analise the key reasons for their success which might not be so clear to some people.

1. Recognising tallent in untraditional areas like triathelon and track cycling. We all know know that Wiggos super tallent was evident in his track resuts but other teams were too short sighted to see this.

2. Developing young riders. The years of time and effort invested in riders like froome and Port is un parreleled in modern cycling and has enabled Sky to get unprecedented results.

3. SCIENCE!

4. Getting the best support staff. We all know that sky has the best people working behind the sceans to achieve top results, and best of all they are British!
My only thought is why stop in 2018?

Landa is only 25 and will be should be hitting his stride by 2018.

I predict global sky domination until.... 2023!

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

oldcrank said:
WheelofGear said:
Giro with Landa and Tour with Froome is very likely at least.

That would be the first team double since..?
Sir Dave, the Mastermind, has bigger plans, my friend! :)
http://www.skysports.com/cycling/ne...pt-grand-tour-treble-says-sir-dave-brailsford :eek:

If any team can do it, it's Sky. Their roster is very strong now, but G has realised that the glory of competing for GTs, the Tour in particular, is much greater than classics racing, and without him focusing on classics a monument win is very unlikely. Landa winning the Giro is plausible and Froome is the top favourite for the Tour. For the Vuelta, Froome might do the Double or Landa, if he sits out the Tour.

Gigs_98 said:
PremierAndrew said:
Gigs_98 said:
WheelofGear said:
The look scary for the 2016 season. Think about this scenario:

2016 wins:
Paris-Nice with Froome. Thomas 2nd.
Tirreno-Adriatico with Landa.
Milano-Sanremo with Viviani.
Catalunya with Froome.
Flanders with Thomas.
Paris-Roubaix with Stannard.
Pais Vasco with Landa.
Ardennes triple with Kwiatkowski.
Dauphine with Froome.
Suisse with Thomas.
Giro with Landa.
Tour with Froome. Thomas 3rd.
Olympic Gold with Froome.
Vuelta with Landa.
World TT with Kiryienka.
World Road Race with Viviani.
Lombardia with Kwiatkowski.
Viviani isnt even almost one of the best sprinters in the world, their hilly classics team is really not that good (Kwiatkowski is only average, his shape this years was way worse than 2014), Standard for Paris Roubaix would be a huge surprise, and we still have to wait how Landa will do as a team leader in a gt

Viviani is probably the closest you can get right now in terms of challenging Kittel Cav Greipel Sagan on a flat parcours
Viviani has 2 world tour wins this year. Is there any reason why he should suddenly be the favorite for the WC and for MSR?

MSR is a different story - that's not pan flat.

And no, I'm not saying Viviani should be the favourite for the WC, but you definitely can't say he's not even close to being one of the best sprinters.

With regards to his two world tour wins, fairly disappointing, especially with that massive leadout train he gets in all those stage races

TMP402 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Brailsfraud is just copying Uncle Oleg :rolleyes: https://twitter.com/olegtinkov/status/643315525884465153?s=09
"OK, here is our humble plan for Tinkoff Team in 2016. To WIN Giro w Rafal Majka , Tour and Vuelta w Alberto Contador."

What fraud did he commit? Interesting revelation.
rick james said:
Brailsfraud???...very bitter i see

Sorry it is Clinic related, just a habit to call him that way, anyway I edited my post.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
The look scary for the 2016 season. Think about this scenario:

2016 wins:
Paris-Nice with Froome. Thomas 2nd.
Tirreno-Adriatico with Landa.
Milano-Sanremo with Viviani.
Catalunya with Froome.
Flanders with Thomas.
Paris-Roubaix with Stannard.
Pais Vasco with Landa.
Ardennes triple with Kwiatkowski.
Dauphine with Froome.
Suisse with Thomas.
Giro with Landa.
Tour with Froome. Thomas 3rd.
Olympic Gold with Froome.
Vuelta with Landa.
World TT with Kiryienka.
World Road Race with Viviani.
Lombardia with Kwiatkowski.

Yeah and then you woke up from nice dream
only real seems Paris Nice, Dauphine and maybe Tour de France by Froome, if he will go Tirreno instead of Paris Nice he will be smashed
Thomas had no chance of winning anything, Maybe low competition Paris Nice if everyone will race Tirreno as this year, probably same with Landa and Kwiatkowski who knows, with strong classic team like etixx maybe, with sky likely not

SeriousSam said:
If any team can do it, it's Sky. Their roster is very strong now, but G has realised that the glory of competing for GTs, the Tour in particular, is much greater than classics racing, and without him focusing on classics a monument win is very unlikely. Landa winning the Giro is plausible and Froome is the top favourite for the Tour. For the Vuelta, Froome might do the Double or Landa, if he sits out the Tour.

Yeah, we all saw how froome´s attempt to double finished this year on Vuelta
and Landa OK, podium in giro he could do if parcours will be hard and there will be low TT´s but he can not win it

and btw. this thread is big joke from the start since Sky is not even winning UCI world tour team classification so how you can name it as biggest team of last decades when it is not even current biggest team
maybe in your wild dreams :)

oldcrank said:
WheelofGear said:
Giro with Landa and Tour with Froome is very likely at least.

That would be the first team double since..?
Sir Dave, the Mastermind, has bigger plans, my friend! :)
http://www.skysports.com/cycling/ne...pt-grand-tour-treble-says-sir-dave-brailsford :eek:

So what were Astana doing this year? Only racing for stages with Nibali, Aru and Landa in the Giro-Tour-Vuelta? Alberto and Rafa just loitering about the peloton with no real intentions of trying to win the Giro-Tour-Vuelta in 2015? Seems so, since it clearly takes Sir Dave to conceive the brilliant idea of trying to win all three GTs with the same team.

Give me strength.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
irondan said:
My only thought is why stop in 2018?

Landa is only 25 and will be should be hitting his stride by 2018.

I predict global sky domination until.... 2023!
I believe their goal is to be the best sports team in 2020. Not talking only cycling, best sports team.

bassano said:
SeriousSam said:

and Landa OK, podium in giro he could do if parcours will be hard and there will be low TT´s but he can not win it

and btw. this thread is big joke from the start since Sky is not even winning UCI world tour team classification so how you can name it as biggest team of last decades when it is not even current biggest team

Landa is already the favorite for the Giro. The strongest climber out there and Sky can help him improving his time trial skills. Also, one of the time trials is a MTT. Who do you think is able to beat him?

Majka? :eek: :rolleyes:

WheelofGear said:
bassano said:
SeriousSam said:

Landa is already the favorite for the Giro. The strongest climber out there and Sky can help him improving his time trial skills. Also, one of the time trials is a MTT. Who do you think is able to beat him?

Landa is unproven as a leader and as Porte showed it,is hard,really hard to be one.If he'll get the support that Porte was receiving this year you can forget about it.I don't see him winning a GT next year,but maybe i'm just misjudging his talents and he'll do better than expected.Btw that MTT won't help him if he'll lose 10 minutes on the flat ones :D
Froome at the moment is still the only safe bet at Sky to bring them the big wins.

WheelofGear said:
bassano said:
SeriousSam said:

It's probably Aru vs. Landa vs. Majka next year with Sky and Astana bringing the stronger mountain support for there leaders. Plus in Sky's case a good sprinter and the rainbow jersey for the TT's.

MatParker117 said:
WheelofGear said:
bassano said:
SeriousSam said:

It's probably Aru vs. Landa vs. Majka next year with Sky and Astana bringing the stronger mountain support for there leaders. Plus in Sky's case a good sprinter and the rainbow jersey for the TT's.

Astana is sending Nibali to the Giro and Aru to the Tour next year. And Nibali is going to be roasted by Landa on the climbs.

WheelofGear said:
MatParker117 said:
WheelofGear said:
bassano said:
SeriousSam said:

Astana is sending Nibali to the Giro and Aru to the Tour next year. And Nibali is going to be roasted by Landa on the climbs.

Wonder if Benat and Landa will do to Nibali what Landa and Aru should have done to Contador.

DBotero said:
WheelofGear said:
bassano said:
SeriousSam said:

Landa is unproven as a leader and as Porte showed it,is hard,really hard to be one.If he'll get the support that Porte was receiving this year you can forget about it.I don't see him winning a GT next year,but maybe i'm just misjudging his talents and he'll do better than expected.Btw that MTT won't help him if he'll lose 10 minutes on the flat ones :D
Froome at the moment is still the only safe bet at Sky to bring them the big wins.

No way. The long one is hilly. He is young and with help from Sky, he can easily make improvements in the discipline. I except him to do very well in that one.

He will only lose a little time in the short one and that wouldn't be crucial for his GC.

WheelofGear said:
bassano said:
SeriousSam said:

Nibali?

Tbh I think you forgot about him but still I really have the feeling everyone is underestimating him since this season. Landa has no chance against a top shape nibali because:
1.) Nibali is the way better TTer
2.) Nibali is a brilliant descender
3.) In a giro the weather is often bad, which also should be good for him.
4.) I know everyone is just shouting around what a great climber Landa is, but they forget how Nibali dominated the tour 2014. I know that Froome and Contador weren't there, but no way they would have been way better than Nibali because the way he smashed everyone else is still a far away goal for Landa.

I get it with Nibali. He will be the main thread. But he is sometimes zig-zagging in the mountains. It really depends on his shape. Dumoulin could also be a danger man if he is riding.

But Landa should be stronger than the likes of Majka, Pozzovivo, Amador and Hejsedal. No question about that.

WheelofGear said:
No way. The long one is hilly. He is young and with help from Sky, he can easily make improvements in the discipline. I except him to do very well in that one.

He will only lose a little time in the short one and that wouldn't be crucial for his GC.
CFsliNyW0AAOoQf.png

:D

Gigs_98 said:
I know everyone is just shouting around what a great climber Landa is, but they forget how Nibali dominated the tour 2014. I know that Froome and Contador weren't there, but no way they would have been way better than Nibali because the way he smashed everyone else is still a far away goal for Landa.

Huh? The whole podium of the 2014 was nowhere a year later. Okay, we can't assume Froome or Contador would have won but of course Nibali looked good when his main opposition was Peraud and Pinot.

TMP402 said:
Huh? The whole podium of the 2014 was nowhere a year later. Okay, we can't assume Froome or Contador would have won but of course Nibali looked good when his main opposition was Peraud and Pinot.

They were better then Valverde which was 3rd this year or e.g. Van Garderen which some of you considering as one of best actual GT riders so it probably was not worst podium ever considering actual performance
and 4th place of Nibali this year is not nowhere, of course it was not performance close to 2014 but still

TRENDING THREADS