• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wide shoes

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Morning all. I am looking for the widest road shoe available.
I work on a boat, am bare foot 24/7 and I truly NEED a wide shoe. I am using SIDI 'mega' width shoes, but even they are restrictive. Any suggestions ??
Thanks a lot.
Johnno
PS: Think 'Hobbit' feet... scary, I know.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have wide feet too but the Sidi Mega's get the job done for me.

You are probably a candidate for custom made shoes. Pricey but well worth it in the long run.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Sidi and shimano have E fitting and are fairly wide Carnac and Vittoria are generaly wide.

You will need to order wide fit at the bike shop. Dont go for a larger size just to get the width the cleats will be in the wrong place.

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I shall try to stay away from custom made shoes. (although I can see the advantage) I shall have a look at 'carnac'.
Cheers all.
Johnno

A

Anonymous

johnno6650 said:
I work on a boat, am bare foot 24/7 and I truly NEED a wide shoe. I am using SIDI 'mega' width shoes, but even they are restrictive. Any suggestions ??
Thanks a lot.
Johnno

Get the shoes soaking wet, put on feet, cinch them real tight, use them. They will probably stretch. Mine have and I didn't try.

I was gonna say Sidi but now I say 'custom'.

I ride custom shoes. Have had 2 pairs. I got em thru Steve Hogg in Sydney. But Im not sure where you live. Im sure there is custom shoe options for you too.

Whats the point of having money in the bank if we cant enjoy what we spend our money on properly? Why invest big time and money into a sport where just a few hundred bucks can make such a big difference? :)

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
johnno6650 said:
Thanks a lot.
Johnno

I have small but wide feet and Sidi's feel like they a trapping my feet in a vice so I wear Lake shoes they are very wide! Worth a try they feel like slippers!

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
You have two choices:

1. Try the various North American brands. Heat moldable Louis Garneau CFS-150s's work for me. Lakes and Northwaves are meant to be wide as well.

2. Failing that, custom.

Steer clear of anything Italian (including the SIDI "wide" version) - the Italian idea of wide is akin to an Anglo normal.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Custom not the answer. WHO MAKES WIDE SHOES?

I have purchased custom shoes from D2. In over ten years I have purchased 3 pair. But I can't afford them any longer. He wants $1000-1450 for a pair!!
The last pair I got said' Hecho en Mexico'. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't charge for custom work said to be done in Colorado.
The shoes have worked well, and I have repaired my current pair twice. His insoles have never been 100% accurate and I have had to adjust them also.
Rocket 7 shoes sell for over $1000.
So, which brands on the market NOW (many reponses here are several years old) make wide shoes. I especially like shoes without a cumbersome buckle.
thanks

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Christian Schneider said:
I have purchased custom shoes from D2. In over ten years I have purchased 3 pair. But I can't afford them any longer. He wants $1000-1450 for a pair!!
The last pair I got said' Hecho en Mexico'. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't charge for custom work said to be done in Colorado.
The shoes have worked well, and I have repaired my current pair twice. His insoles have never been 100% accurate and I have had to adjust them also.
Rocket 7 shoes sell for over $1000.
So, which brands on the market NOW (many reponses here are several years old) make wide shoes. I especially like shoes without a cumbersome buckle.
thanks

Have you looked at "John Luck" shoes, http://www.luck-bike.es (in Spanish)? I understand they no longer make standard fit shoes (could not compete against SIDI, Nike, etc), but do semi-custom at very reasonable prices.
You do the basic measurements of your foot, send them the details and they build them from their five standard lasts, or if you have really messed-up feet, they do custom lasts, at a reasonable price (Approx €250-300) from memory.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bont
I have wide feet and hte standard width is 100mm which is already wider than most shoes. Thet are available in a wide version and custom too. Heat moldable and nearly custom fit. Very low stack and super stiff. Unorthodox shapes. I like the superfeet footbed over the standard footbed that comes in the shoe. You can even mold out hot spots for bunions and callouses if not too pronounced or go custom.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I wear standard-width Bonts, which are wider than average, something like a D+. Most Bont models are available in wide and narrow, too.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
try to find shimano shoes made for the japanese market. the ones made for the US market come standard in E, but the ones for the japanese market are EE (they used to be EEE).