• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins, a truly epic ride

May 26, 2009
Visit site
No insinuations, go to the clinic for those.

That said, I really feel I have to say that cycling fans need to recoginze that Wiggins delivered one of the most Epic rides we have ever seen.

When he dropped from the peleton grabbing his left side I thought he was done. But he went at it again. He has my deep respect for his ability to suffer.

As they didn't win this phenomenal effort could be forgotten soon enough, so I decided to praise him here.

Again: For insinuations, go to the clinic. I'll gladly spar with anyone over there. This is simply a recognition of a valiant effort.

Franklin said:
No insinuations, go to the clinic for those.

That said, I really feel I have to say that cycling fans need to recoginze that Wiggins delivered one of the most Epic rides we have ever seen.

When he dropped from the peleton grabbing his left side I thought he was done. But he went at it again. He has my deep respect for his ability to suffer.

As they didn't win this phenomenal effort could be forgotten soon enough, so I decided to praise him here.

Again: For insinuations, go to the clinic. I'll gladly spar with anyone over there. This is simply a recognition of a valiant effort.

Yeh the brits went really deep.Respect for that, but 260km with just 5 guys isn't enough.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Really great effort today! Chapeau!

But also good to see that their tactics and control don't always work. ;) Not the biggest fan, but a lot of sympathy for them here!

It's peloton!

And the ride wasn't epic.
Agnoli at MSR? As "epic"
Agnoli at the Giro: As "epic"
And x others.
Good effort, yes, for sure. Great effort, yes, but epic? No. Has been done before, has been done better, Agnoli at Milano Sanremo this year could actually be described as epic, as one of the best rides you ever saw.

So, I really feel you need first to learn how to spell peloton, since the spelling you use really is just horrible, and second, that you need to watch more cycling, not just british riders. Wiggins, good effort, nothing more, nothing less.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
OOPs

I thought "DB" referred to Marky, you know "D Bag"?

And yes, BW looked great, but anyone read MC's post race comments? Be was blaming the Ozzies for negative racing. Were they supposed to help the Brits drag Cav to the line? You can't announce to the world that you have the best team, etc etc, and then expect anything but "negative" racing.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Caruut said:
DB clearly doesn't quite understand classics. I hope he and Britain take some lessons from this.

I think this is a very fair statement. Team Sky have flattered to deceive at the classics. Too many variables to control.

GB really lack a true one day racer hence it made sense to go all in for cav today. The break was too big and too well drilled to bring back.

What tactics will they use for the world champs? Who will be team leader? Froome?

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Richeypen said:
Yeah total idiot. Whats he done recently?

Kwibus said:
I think calling DB an idiot is a bit silly if you consider how he managed to make Uk cycling very succesfull. Maybe putting all their money on Cav for this race wasn't a good choice, but an idiot.... :)

Bruyneel has achieved more but most of us don't have a positive opinion about him. "The master tactician" was his reputation.

Dave won the Tour having the two best ttrialers and climbers, and the best team by far being enough with Knees, EBH, Porte and Rogers to cover every stage. And there weren't any rival to put pressure.

Hardly any trace of a complex tactics. Today he needed a better plan and it was single plan A (Cavendish) as he naively announced.

If both of you are thinking about how he has created a structure or develop british cycling open a new thread about it, my opinion will be different. Perhaps one of the Clinic threads already created will serve:rolleyes:

But his tactical plan today was very poor.

Forunculo said:
Bruyneel has achieved more but most of us don't have a positive opinion about him. "The master tactician" was his reputation.

Dave won the Tour having the two best ttrialers and climbers, and the best team by far being enough with Knees, EBH, Porte and Rogers to cover every stage. And there weren't any rival to put pressure.

Hardly any trace of a complex tactics. Today he needed a better plan and it was single plan A (Cavendish) as he naively announced.

If both of you are thinking about how he has created a structure or develop british cycling open a new thread about, my opinion will be different. Perhaps one of the Clinic threads already created will serve:rolleyes:

But his tactical plan today was very poor.

OK, so you really are criticising a man who took British Cycling from pretty poor to close to unbeatable on the at the last Olympics. And then once switching to the road, was behind a tour win, 3 other GT podiums and a world championship win within 3 years when everyone laughed at the prospect.

Each to their own :rolleyes:

williamp78 said:
I think this is a very fair statement. Team Sky have flattered to deceive at the classics. Too many variables to control.

GB really lack a true one day racer hence it made sense to go all in for cav today. The break was too big and too well drilled to bring back.

What tactics will they use for the world champs? Who will be team leader? Froome?

Classics are more tactical than Grand Tours in that you don't get as much time to react to situations.

Obviously 260km with 4 guys was going to be a massive ask and required some cooperation from other teams. I don't think GB did anything wrong, they didn't have a viable plan B so went big on Plan A. Another factor is that small teams mean that theres more people than normal willing to chance their arm making control even more tricky. e.g. Uran wouldn't even have been in the race if it were a World Tour and such a large group would never normally excape so late.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Richeypen said:
OK, so you really are criticising a man who took British Cycling from pretty poor to close to unbeatable on the at the last Olympics. And then once switching to the road, was behind a tour win, 3 other GT podiums and a world championship win within 3 years when everyone laughed at the prospect.

Each to their own :rolleyes:

Well it's the same guy who was to let Froome went free last year.

I appreciate his work but he has the money from the sponsor to sign dozens of great riders and the (huge) coaching help of British Federation.

IMHO the riders deserve the praise because they were the strongest.

DB coaching skill are superb no doubt but I'm talking about the tactics. He was an idiot last Vuelta and the same today.;)

I'm reading the british press about everybody against Team GB... Elementary, my dear Watson. Team GB was the best Olympic squad ever according to themselves

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
DB has done great, but they should have had the flexibility to cover the move by Spartacus, Boonen, Valverde etc on the last climb. It wasn't rocket science, it was clearly the place to attack, and once it went they were outnumbered. And completely knackered.

Of course if they had won we would all be hailing Prince Brailsford :D Overll, Cav will have a face like a slapped **** for a bit, but objectively it was an exciting race and a beautiful day out in a way that the result not going your way doesn't spoil.

I hope they can build a decent classics team around Geraint Thomas, and keep hold of Flecha for a bit longer to help him learn some more.

And we need a big one day race in the Surrey Hills every year, some of the more testing climbs will be seen in the Tour of Britain this Autumn.

When Cav won MSR HTC rode on the front for 300km.

I just couldn't stop laughing all day at their tactics. It was like they just thought they could ride Cav to the finish line.

Nibili was great. That was Pantani styled *** stirring. No chance of winning but threw a grenade into the race. As did Gilbert.

Lucky there are little tactics in the iTT. DB will just send Wiggins and Froome forward.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
DB has done great, but they should have had the flexibility to cover the move by Spartacus, Boonen, Valverde etc on the last climb. It wasn't rocket science, it was clearly the place to attack, and once it went they were outnumbered. And completely knackered.

Of course if they had won we would all be hailing Prince Brailsford :D Overll, Cav will have a face like a slapped **** for a bit, but objectively it was an exciting race and a beautiful day out in a way that the result not going your way doesn't spoil.

I hope they can build a decent classics team around Geraint Thomas, and keep hold of Flecha for a bit longer to help him learn some more.

And we need a big one day race in the Surrey Hills every year, some of the more testing climbs will be seen in the Tour of Britain this Autumn.

Stannard'll take em all on..

May 26, 2009
Visit site
The fridge in the blue trees said:
It's peloton!

Oh my, you sure got me good :)

And for he other part... guess you might be surprised. I have been cheering at the Champs when my countryman Zoetemelk crossed the line. I tended bottles at the Ronde van Nederland in the early eighties, I have shook hands with Jan Ulrich in S'Hertogenbosch and generally have been an entusiast ever since. And I prefer the classics ;)

I think your opinion of my lack of knowledge of cycling history is a bit to harsh (tough I make the occasional goof) :D

The Hitch said:
Brunyeel has won 9 TDFs.

And yet, he has never won a monument.

Anyone can win the Tour if they have the best riders, never mind having the 2 best riders.

For example look at Riis, he was able to win RVV last year with basically no top classic riders but he only has 1 TDF(As far as i know) but in any day Riis>Hog in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS