• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins, Clinic respect?

"That was the thing that upset me the most about 2009 and 2010. I thought you lying *******. I can still remember going toe-to-toe with him, watching him and his body language. The man I saw at the top of Verbier in 2009 to the man I saw on the top of Ventoux two weeks later, it wasn't the same bike rider. Watch the videos and see the way the guy was riding. I just don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth anymore," said Wiggins.

"Part of me didn't want to watch it, the fan in me didn't really want that perception of him to be broken as an amazing athlete. But I watched it with my seven-year-old son, and those initial first questions - the yes/no answers - watching him suddenly cave in after all these years of lying so convincingly... there was a lot of anger, a lot of sadness... I was slightly emotional as well if I'm honest. It was difficult to watch really. My wife couldn't watch it, she walked out the room.

"It's heartbreaking for the sport, but then the anger kicks in and you start thinking "you f*****g a******e" or whatever feelings most people had when watching it. I had to explain to my son what it's all about, he's won the same race as his dad has won. But by the end of the hour-and-a-half, I had the best feeling in the world.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-wiggins-no-sympathy-for-lance-armstrong.html

Bat Man

BANNED
Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Armstrong's problem on the Verbier is that he tried to follow Contador's attack and blew up, whereas Wiggins kept his own pace. Though post confession it's easy to put it all down to doping.

There does seem an injustice about singling out Armstrong for having confessed, when the other two guys who pushed him off the podium that year were almost certainly doping.

Hard to Speak

Well he's had plenty of time to put that one together...took his time but the SKY staff have finally woken up and smelled the coffee.

Wonder why it took him SO LONG to say that ??

Because those words are hard to say....in up to his neck...but no going back now Bradley.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Very easy for a bunch of internet warriors to come out with the sort of stuff you guys are (anonymously) but this is Wiggins work environment, not a school playground. He's shown the tact and diplomacy one would expect of a Tour champion. He's a public figure ffs, not some internet troll with nothing riding on it. Besides, he doesn't have to say anything. It wasn't him that doped for 7 Tours and dragged the sport into the gutter.

If I was in his position, I wouldn't have shot my mouth off until the appropriate moment either.

Wiggins is highly unpredictable in what he says. and makes no sense most of the time.
You can have a good laugh by reading what he has said on the Armstrong affair over the period.

Whether finally reality dawned upon him. or whether it's some PR exercise at behest of SKY is anybody's guess.

hrotha said:
That article by itself is a very good response, but the obvious question is why was he buddies with Lance after 2009?

I agree. The article is a very good response. And it has enough f words to look legit

But it makes the strong " i love lance" comment as well as the attack on landis when landis spoke out, even more bizzare.

Your wife was so certain he was doping that she couldn't watch and you felt the same, but you declares you loves the guy a few months later?

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
That article by itself is a very good response, but the obvious question is why was he buddies with Lance after 2009?

Tact. (not a quality he always display, I agree)

Pre-reasoned decision he said "If Lance doped 09 and 10 he can get fuc$ed".

Joachim said:
He's shown the tact and diplomacy one would expect of a Tour champion. He's a public figure ffs, not some internet troll with nothing riding on it.

When the mods warned in the sky thread not to instigated personal attacks did you think that only applied to that 1 thread and nowhere else?

Is that going to.be your defense for.2 hours later jumping out to label an entire.pov "internet trolls"?

How very brave of Wigans to pile on and profess his outrage now that it's clearly safe to do so. It certainly takes a brave man to play lapdog to Armstrong when he was the most powerful man in the sport and then to kick him when he's a public disgrace. :rolleyes:

Truly the sport of cycling is well represented - the sport gets the "champion" it deserves.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
When the mods warned in the sky thread not to instigated personal attacks did you think that only applied to that 1 thread and nowhere else?

Is that going to.be your defense for.2 hours later jumping out to label an entire.pov "internet trolls"?

When you've come down off your high-horse, maybe you'd care to think about the wider point in my post.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Tact would lead to non-statements or no comments, not to weee I love Lance he gives me advice he's done so much good for the sport.

He doesn't have to be tactful now that Armstrong has fessed. As for before, how do you know that view he had of Armstrong wasn't sincere? Whatever you think of Armstrong, there is no denying he brought in a lot of money to the sport, some of which trickled down to riders.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
the hypocricy is jaw dropping.

Remember how Kimmage told us how everybody at Garmin 2008 was sort of scared of Lance and his imminent comeback, since everybody at Garmin knew what he'd been up to.

Hell, we don't even need Kimmage's statement to figure that out.

Joachim said:
When you've come down off your high-horse, maybe you'd care to think about the wider point in my post.

The point is that here, he has responded as you would like a Tour winner with the consequent gravitas to do (notwithstanding that Verbier and Ventoux were six days apart, but Bradley can hardly be expected to have remembered the exact dates and details of stages in the moment).

However, he has not always done so, and has given conflicting and sometimes contradictory accounts of various times.

Therefore, the content of this response merits praise, but its inconsistency with some of his previous responses to questions about the subject matter (the time, the people or both) merits consideration as well.

Bat Man

BANNED
Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Lets not forget that Contador broke the power record on that climb. Trying to follow his attack was an insane decision by Armstrong. There is no doubt in my mind Wiggins would have finished back with Armstrong had he tried to go with AC.

Joachim said:
He doesn't have to be tactful now that Armstrong has fessed. As for before, how do you know that view he had of Armstrong wasn't sincere? Whatever you think of Armstrong, there is no denying he brought in a lot of money to the sport, some of which trickled down to riders.
I'm talking about Wiggins's stance before Armstrong confessed, of course.

Wiggins knew Armstrong doped. Everyone at Garmin was supposed to know the story. JV himself posted here to say when Wiggins first defended Armstrong he found it baffling (he said his comments "weren't based on reality" or something like that). Wiggins himself admits the Armstrong he saw later in the 2009 Tour was very suspicious. Whatever way you spin it, Wiggins was openly praising someone he knew to be a doper, and only backtracked when Armstrong's fall was complete.

Bat Man

BANNED
Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
I'm talking about Wiggins's stance before Armstrong confessed, of course.

Wiggins knew Armstrong doped. Everyone at Garmin was supposed to know the story. JV himself posted here to say when Wiggins first defended Armstrong he found it baffling (he said his comments "weren't based on reality" or something like that). Wiggins himself admits the Armstrong he saw later in the 2009 Tour was very suspicious. Whatever way you spin it, Wiggins was openly praising someone he knew to be a doper, and only backtracked when Armstrong's fall was complete.

To be fair to Wiggins, he didn't know if Armstrong was doping on the comeback. Vaughters hadn't rode with Armstrong since 1999. Not many people seem to listen to Vaughters anyway - he part owned the team with Millar - Millar must have known EVERYTHING - yet Millar remained friends with Armstrong until about a year ago.

TRENDING THREADS