• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins, Clinic respect?

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I did consider this too - up until his meltdown about people on twitter especially as he was the one to introduce the UK postal angle.
I doubt he enjoys it anymore.

Actually, I think you underestimate both his impishness, and his capacity to suspend logic on his own behalf.

The mistake is to assume consistency=honesty=reliability. I'd suspect Wiggins is quite capable of enjoying the bullsh*t while at one and the same time believing others on twitter aren't entitled to bullsh*t about him.

"consistency is the hobgoblin of tiny minds"

think about it....

"I'm not watching that documentary". "actually, i ended up watching it"
"I don't want to be part of lord coe and his merry men" "actually, i'll open the ceremony"
"i love lance" "actually, I always suspected, and now i hate the ba$tard"
"there's no problem between me and froomie" "I don't trust froomie, i wanted to just go home"
"I'm doing the giro" "i might go for the tour"

Believe it or not, I'm not sure any of these mutually inconsistent statements is actually a lie, properly described - he found a way to believe them all as he said them...

if you want logic, buy an ipad. if you want consistency, buy a blender.

Wiggins is good for entertainment, and here anyway, occasional apoplexy.

His single consistency is lashing out at whoever is annoying him in any particular moment - His birth father when he got drunk in his company, dopers costing him a run on the tour in 07, twitterers accusing him, LA when he's forced to answer questions on him, Froomie when he attacks in the hills. No more, no less. Viewed like this, everything else starts to fall into shape.

If i had to bet, i'd say as a husband and father, he's probably high maintenance - cuddles one day, a bollocking the next. But I've no evidence of that - except his wife calling him a ****...

martinvickers said:
Actually, I think you underestimate both his impishness, and his capacity to suspend logic on his own behalf.

The mistake is to assume consistency=honesty=reliability. I'd suspect Wiggins is quite capable of enjoying the bullsh*t while at one and the same time believing others on twitter aren't entitled to bullsh*t about him.

think about it....

Believe it or not, I'm not sure any of these mutually inconsistent statements is actually a lie, properly described - he found a way to believe them all as he said them...

His single consistency is lashing out at whoever is annoying him in any particular moment - His birth father when he got drunk in his company, dopers costing him a run on the tour in 07, twitterers accusing him, LA when he's forced to answer questions on him, Froomie when he attacks in the hills. No more, no less. Viewed like this, everything else starts to fall into shape.

If i had to bet, i'd say as a husband and father, he's probably high maintenance - cuddles one day, a bollocking the next. But I've no evidence of that - except his wife calling him a ****...

...or he could just be doping like the last 20 or so Tour winners? :rolleyes:

cadelcrybaby

BANNED
Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I like him. He's tongue in cheek, and can't keep up with his instructions to be a PR drone, the ar$e just pops right out. Great character. Who would you rather go for a drink with? Him? Evans? Or man child Contador?

....but yes, he may be following in the traditions of Tour Winners, and I wouldn't limit it to 20 years (just leave Greg out)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:
I'm not sure he looks like he's '5kg overweight' now either. You just can't believe a word a pro cyclist says about their weight IMO, it's all part of playing mind tricks with your opponents, excusing being knackered, or generally not being arsed to repeat last years intensity, dope or no dope.

You just can't believe a word a pro cyclist says about their doping ;)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Well, since you are quite wrong on my interpretation, I am not sure you are in a position to be correct on Wiggins.

martinvickers said:
A

think about it....
I have no problem with some inconsistent behavior, and that he is not media savvy. I can understand a certain amount of flip flop regarding Armstrong.

martinvickers said:
A

It's pretty evident he can be hard to deal with - again, I have no major problem with that, we are not friends.

But he didn't get angry at twitter users - he attempted to undermine them by calling them 'bone idle ****ers'. That's not angry, that's deflection. Question is why?

cadelcrybaby said:
I like him. He's tongue in cheek, and can't keep up with his instructions to be a PR drone, the ar$e just pops right out. Great character. Who would you rather go for a drink with? Him? Evans? Or man child Contador?

....but yes, he may be following in the traditions of Tour Winners, and I wouldn't limit it to 20 years (just leave Greg out)

Um, Wiggo is not tongue in cheek, Wiggo is an idiot. I prefer not to drink with idiots.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Well, since you are quite wrong on my interpretation, I am not sure you are in a position to be correct on Wiggins.

Non sequitor. Stick to the programme, Dr.

I have no problem with some inconsistent behavior, and that he is not media savvy. I can understand a certain amount of flip flop regarding Armstrong.

It's pretty evident he can be hard to deal with - again, I have no major problem with that, we are not friends.

But he didn't get angry at twitter users - he attempted to undermine them by calling them 'bone idle ****ers'. That's not angry, that's deflection. Question is why?

Anger at someone and undermining them are not mutually exclusive - indeed, they go together rather well. And you know that rightly. It is completely unconvincing to attempt to suggest there must be a choice between them.

If you listen to the tone of the actual quote, and it was recorded, after all, his anger is patently obvious. To suggest otherwise is naive, or dishonest. So lets assume naive.

I have to say, it always amused me just how personally offended certain people seemed to get at that rant. As if they (or we if I include myself in the anonymous masses)really mattered in the big scheme of things.

Can't help thinking if Wiggins realised just how offended, angry and upset some of his 'targets' were by that rant, it would have greatly amused him. Sometimes it appears to have been more successful in that regard than even he might have hoped.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
martinvickers said:
Can't help thinking if Wiggins realised just how offended, angry and upset some of his 'targets' were by that rant, it would have greatly amused him. Sometimes it appears to have been more successful in that regard than even he might have hoped.

Can't help thinking if Wiggins realised just how determined some of his "targets" were after his rant, to show just how preposterous his turn around in form was, from zero to hero, everywhere they could express it. And the encouragement that must provide to people like Paul Kimmage, that he would have thought twice about what he said and how.

cadelcrybaby

BANNED
Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
If I could speak Spanish, I'd agree. Otherwise Evans hands down. I'd take unassuming Aussie over drunkard Pom any day of the century.

Contador= convicted and unrepentant doper.

I'm surprised some of you give this guy a free pass. He's a crook. Stripped of Tour just like Armstrong, get real.

Sep 29, 2012
cadelcrybaby said:
Contador= convicted and unrepentant doper.

I'm surprised some of you give this guy a free pass. He's a crook. Stripped of Tour just like Armstrong, get real.

And surprisingly, noone except florecita (sp) disagrees with you. He doesn't have a free pass at all. Except from florecita ;)

But he seems like a decent bloke all the same. So if I am stuck chatting with one of the three - and I've already done so with Cadel, I'd choose Contador first.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

I think he was simply suggesting that the Twitterati accusing him of doping had not put as much effort into exploring their physical limits as he had and as a result they were w*nkers (for making the accusations) unqualified to pass judgement on the legitimacy of his achievements and, in his opinion, bone idle.

I guess that compared to a full time pro, even the most committed cyclist is bone idle, so he may have a point, albeit a small one.

I'd agree with Martin Vickers that Wiggo is "high maintenance" and tends to vent his anger on what is currently vexing him most, with no thought for logic or consistency.

Sep 29, 2012
Wallace and Gromit said:
I guess that compared to a full time pro, even the most committed cyclist is bone idle, so he may have a point, albeit a small one.

Yeah coz that road palmares is just dripping with commitment to his craft, innit?

Let's face it. Wiggins spent the first ~8 years of his "pro" cycling career on holiday in the peloton, on benders, or doing 6-12 x 4km races / year. Whoop dee doo.

Anyone working a 40 hour week has done a lot more work than he has for a lot less reward. And then they have time for a family and racing / training as well. I'm calling shenanigans.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Yeah coz that road palmares is just dripping with commitment to his craft, innit?

Let's face it. Wiggins spent the first ~8 years of his "pro" cycling career on holiday in the peloton, on benders, or doing 6-12 x 4km races / year. Whoop dee doo.

Anyone working a 40 hour week has done a lot more work than he has for a lot less reward. And then they have time for a family and racing / training as well. I'm calling shenanigans.

I wasn't saying he was right, just explaining why he might have said what he said! There's certainly been no lack of commitment on his behalf in 2011 and 2012.

40 hour week? If only. Do you work part time? :D

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Wiggins was a bit of loose cannon before his Tour win. Now he has taken it to a new level - apart from politicians, I don't think I've ever heard anyone in the public eye contradict themselves so much.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Can't help thinking if Wiggins realised just how determined some of his "targets" were after his rant, to show just how preposterous his turn around in form was, from zero to hero, everywhere they could express it. And the encouragement that must provide to people like Paul Kimmage, that he would have thought twice about what he said and how.

Kimmage, maybe. The rest of us? Doubt he worries. Some here overestimate themselves.

Sep 29, 2012
SundayRider said:
Wiggins was a bit of loose cannon before his Tour win. Now he has taken it to a new level - apart from politicians, I don't think I've ever heard anyone in the public eye contradict themselves so much.

It's really easy to tell the truth: you never have to remember what you've said to stay consistent, just say what happened.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
It's really easy to tell the truth: you never have to remember what you've said to stay consistent, just say what happened.

Exactly, even Armstrong changed his line as the years progressed, started with 'I didn't dope' then 'I've never failed a test' then 'We like our credibility' then, 'It's all a witchunt and vendetta'.

TRENDING THREADS