• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Cycling Weekly Interview

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maltiv said:
To me it sounds like Wiggins is doing exactly the same mistake as he did in 2010 - i.e getting way too confident and forgetting to have fun etc.

First he compared himself to Indurain after Froome had ridden everyone of his wheel (which Wiggins took all credit for), and now he compares his team with US postal...Well actually, the part about "5-6 riders in front of me in the mountains" could be true, but I don't think they'll be in the lead group...Rather a couple of minutes behind with a pale looking Wiggins getting paced by superior riders who's personal ambitions have been washed aside by Sky's nationalistic tactics.

You've pretty much summed it up. May I add that IMO Wiggins would be better served focusing on the week long stage races where there aren't enough mountains for him to reall worry about his time losses to the superior climbers because he'll get it all back plus some in the ITT (for the most part).
He has a much higher chance of success than doing a Jan (he's far from Der Kaiser's equal) ala T-Mobile, the major difference being Jan was worthy of a team completely dedicated to him at the Tour, and Wiggins definitely is not.

I agree also with the post (was it Maltiv?) who laughs at Wiggins reference to being like Postal with 5 riders riding tempo for him in the mountains. As was mentioned if they're riding tempo for Wiggins and another group of contenders it's because they've all gotten dropped by Contador, the Schlecks, Samu, Valverde, Evans and Menchov, just to name a few. What a waste of manpower. If Sky is smart they'll give Froome free reign, a roll comparable to Contador's in the 2007 Tour. Instead of being in service to Wiggins, see what Froome can do on the big stage. Having ride for Wiggins would be such a waste.

Catwhoorg said:
If EBH was disatisifed at SKY, I don't he would have signed a 2 year contract extension in the offseason (taking him through to 2014).

No one likely could match whatever Murdoch is offering salary wise. I'm not saying EBH is unhappy but money can help smooth over the rough spots, especially when a rider is young.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
If Sky is smart they'll give Froome free reign, a roll comparable to Contador's in the 2007 Tour. Instead of being in service to Wiggins, see what Froome can do on the big stage. Having ride for Wiggins would be such a waste.

I agree on that strategy.
Worked great for Disco - 2 men on the Podium

However, big difference between Sky and Disco....
1) Sky is not smart let alone genius.
2) Froome is no Alberto
3) Wiggins is no Levi.

Angliru said:
No one likely could match whatever Murdoch is offering salary wise. I'm not saying EBH is unhappy but money can help smooth over the rough spots, especially when a rider is young.

If EBH is the protected rider in the races he can win and also allowed the occasional foray in a GT stage he can win, it was a no brainer to extend. He ain't going to win a TDF sprint so what is to lose for him for the money on the table.

Angliru said:
You've pretty much summed it up. May I add that IMO Wiggins would be better served focusing on the week long stage races where there aren't enough mountains for him to reall worry about his time losses to the superior climbers because he'll get it all back plus some in the ITT (for the most part).
He has a much higher chance of success than doing a Jan (he's far from Der Kaiser's equal) ala T-Mobile, the major difference being Jan was worthy of a team completely dedicated to him at the Tour, and Wiggins definitely is not.

I agree also with the post (was it Maltiv?) who laughs at Wiggins reference to being like Postal with 5 riders riding tempo for him in the mountains. As was mentioned if they're riding tempo for Wiggins and another group of contenders it's because they've all gotten dropped by Contador, the Schlecks, Samu, Valverde, Evans and Menchov, just to name a few. What a waste of manpower. If Sky is smart they'll give Froome free reign, a roll comparable to Contador's in the 2007 Tour. Instead of being in service to Wiggins, see what Froome can do on the big stage. Having ride for Wiggins would be such a waste.
If you really think Froome is going to be anything other than a bit part domestique for Wiggins in the mountains you are going to be disappointed.

It's the TDF not the Vuelta. Wiggins is going to be isolated as soon as the big boys decide it's time to play their cards. Maybe Uran can step up when Froome is going backwards, maybe.

ferryman said:
If you really think Froome is going to be anything other than a bit part domestique for Wiggins in the mountains you are going to be disappointed.

It's the TDF not the Vuelta. Wiggins is going to be isolated as soon as the big boys decide it's time to play their cards. Maybe Uran can step up when Froome is going backwards, maybe.

Oh dear. :eek:

''We've got the makings of an incredible team with Richie Porte, Michael Rogers and Chris Froome" he said. "This is by far the best team we've had on paper. All of a sudden we've got one of the strongest teams in cycling. It's like the old Postal days. I have visions of five or six guys ahead of me in the mountains and Cav out the back! But he'll have green so it won't matter".

Bradley Wiggins, Cycling Weekly, 26th January.

I was just thinking back to this quote today. Nobody can ever say they weren't given enough prior warning!

JRanton said:
Oh dear. :eek:

I was just thinking back to this quote today. Nobody can ever say they weren't given enough prior warning!

''We've got the makings of an incredible team with Richie Porte, Michael Rogers and Chris Froome" he said. "This is by far the best team we've had on paper. All of a sudden we've got one of the strongest teams in cycling. It's like the old Postal days. I have visions of five or six guys ahead of me in the mountains and Cav out the back! But he'll have green so it won't matter".

Did he throw down the microphone on himself and call himself a ****? :rolleyes:

Be careful what you wish for...

TRENDING THREADS