• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jspear said:
He could do the Vuelta and use it as preparation for the Worlds, but he could never do the Vuelta now and go for GC.

A few weeks ago he was climbing well in California. He would have enough time to slim down and get his climbing legs going. I don't think he will thought. Wiggins seems to be strong once the ball is rolling but struggles when there are sand in the machinery. And the ball sure ain't rolling right now.

I am no fan due his behavior during the 2012 Tour, but it's sad to see how little he has accomplished since 2012.

Walkman said:
A few weeks ago he was climbing well in California. He would have enough time to slim down and get his climbing legs going. I don't think he will thought. Wiggins seems to be strong once the ball is rolling but struggles when there are sand in the machinery. And the ball sure ain't rolling right now.

I am no fan due his behavior during the 2012 Tour, but it's sad to see how little he has accomplished since 2012.

I hear what you are saying....maybe he could train and get a top 10. But - even if he was able to get back to his 2012 form, the competition would be too tough for him to get much more than a top 10 in the Vuelta. We all know he only won the Tour because the strongest rider was serving him and 2nd, because the course suited his abilities perfectly. The Vuelta is not his sort of course....WAY to many mountains. Even if he was in top form, I don't think he would compete very well.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
JRanton said:
We haven't reached the mountains yet!

ergo Wiggins prologue fail is down to CNBA rather than weight as you seem to be suggesting in your earlier post?

Whatever, he's been treated like sh1te, I think we can agree and the sooner he bails on Sky the better IMO.

He will make a great mega-dom for the Yates's.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Winterfold said:
ergo Wiggins prologue fail is down to CNBA rather than weight as you seem to be suggesting in your earlier post?

Whatever, he's been treated like sh1te, I think we can agree and the sooner he bails on Sky the better IMO.

He will make a great mega-dom for the Yates's.

Super Dom. Don't think so !, he would not work for anybody. Simply wants to be centre of attention.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Timeline of the tragedy of W

1. in ToC there is still hope to make the Tour team, so he did some hard training for it, and gave a pretty decent performance.
2. stopped training and gained quite a few pounds after sky informed him nonselection for the Tour.
3. No one expect CF massive failure in the Dauphine, even W wants to capitalize this, but it is too late since extra fat was already on him.:eek:

I don't think Wiggo is motivated or really trying in the TDS. Porte will be lucky to finish the Tour they way he is going. As bad as Sky have looked lately, Contador's team is worse but throw Rogers, Kreuziger and others back into his Tour team and it looks much better for him. One plus for Sky is that Nieve has looked really good and should provide good support for Froome.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Timeline of the tragedy of W

1. in ToC there is still hope to make the Tour team, so he did some hard training for it, and gave a pretty decent performance.
2. stopped training and gained quite a few pounds after sky informed him nonselection for the Tour.
3. No one expect CF massive failure in the Dauphine, even W wants to capitalize this, but it is too late since extra fat was already on him.:eek:
I thought about this too,what a shame he didnt believe Alberto:p
movingtarget said:
I don't think Wiggo is motivated or really trying in the TDS. Porte will be lucky to finish the Tour they way he is going. As bad as Sky have looked lately, Contador's team is worse but throw Rogers, Kreuziger and others back into his Tour team and it looks much better for him. One plus for Sky is that Nieve has looked really good and should provide good support for Froome.
huh:confused:

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
arvc40 said:
Super Dom. Don't think so !, he would not work for anybody. Simply wants to be centre of attention.

Drivel

worldrr2011_WIGGINS_CHASES.jpg

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Surely the simple way to achieve selection for Tdf would have been to target overall at Tds . A dominating performance here would be of value. Winning TOC is not enough to seal it.

Maybe if he takes TT and does a big performance to verbier he can turn some heads.

Taking a packet yesterday, for whatever reason was not impressive.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
It looks more and more as if the glory days are over, the hunger and self belief seem to have evaporated. What we have seen this week in Switzerland is a shadow of a man he used to be. The problem of course is that younger, keener and more confident riders are coming through and a change of team will not change that.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
"As for Bradley, he sustained grazing and bruising to the muscles on his right leg, which will be treated overnight and the team doctor will be reviewing his injury in the morning.
“Bradley has been carrying a mild chest infection from the weekend so he has been taking antibiotics and his condition has improved. Racing with this illness has affected him a bit, but he’s shown his commitment and has worked really well for the team.”

Sounds like Giro last year. Not sure im buying the chest infection! :rolleyes:

fowlyetti said:
"As for Bradley, he sustained grazing and bruising to the muscles on his right leg, which will be treated overnight and the team doctor will be reviewing his injury in the morning.
“Bradley has been carrying a mild chest infection from the weekend so he has been taking antibiotics and his condition has improved. Racing with this illness has affected him a bit, but he’s shown his commitment and has worked really well for the team.”

Why didn't they ask for a TUE (a la Froome) to treat the chest infection?

fowlyetti said:

Yeah, I've heard this one before as well. He must be seriously p1ssed off and demoralized with all the cr4p SDB's laid upon him.

IndianCyclist said:
right now i dont think he has any motivation left. For that it is imperative for him to leave the team. But with the Belkin boys on the block, it will be difficult for him to get a sweet deal

but that's not true- He can well prepare himself to storm La Vuelta & get a great result IF HE WISHES TO- even more if he's seeking a contract outside SKY- it's all about perspective...

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
but that's not true- He can well prepare himself to storm La Vuelta & get a great result IF HE WISHES TO- even more if he's seeking a contract outside SKY- it's all about perspective...

Not really. Quintana, Contador, Purito, (and Horner :D) are all riding the Vuelta. But Wiggo could get himself some headlines getting gold at the Commonwealth Games and then making a very hard run at the ITT World Championships. And if he could trot off to OGE outfitted in a rainbow jersey, that would get him some excellent press back home.

TRENDING THREADS