• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 210 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not sure Sky will go into Roubaix with a single leader. They'll go in with 3 or 4 like Quick-Step usually do I would think. You've got to simply keep as many riders at the front and hope bad luck, crashes & mechanicals don't eat them all up too early in the race. Wiggins has said today he's not leader, it's Thomas though, so maybe Wiggins is just going to try and TT from far out, the others will have to chase and Thomas & Stannard just have to stay with the leaders.

samhocking said:
I'm not sure Sky will go into Roubaix with a single leader. They'll go in with 3 or 4 like Quick-Step usually do I would think. You've got to simply keep as many riders at the front and hope bad luck, crashes & mechanicals don't eat them all up too early in the race. Wiggins has said today he's not leader, it's Thomas though, so maybe Wiggins is just going to try and TT from far out, the others will have to chase and Thomas & Stannard just have to stay with the leaders.

That would be an amazing thing to see, Wiggins doing a Cancellara, which he could have easily done in PR2014

Unfortunately it goes against everything we've seen him do before, but it'll be his last hoorah and if he goes like he did in the National TT in Abergavenny it could happen.

Can't wait!!!!

His problem with a TT plan is he's got to break the elastic first and i'm not sure he's got the acceleration to do it like Cancellera did. He might benefit from getting into a small group of riders and working off them though. It's going to be interesting to see how Sky play it on the day that's for sure.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
elfed68 said:
That would be an amazing thing to see, Wiggins doing a Cancellara, which he could have easily done in PR2014.

I don't think anyone does anything easily at the end of PR (other than sit up) but it was definitely a missed opportunity if he had the legs. I doubt he'd have been allowed to get as far as Terpstra did but if Terpstra could hold them off then Wiggo would have been in with a good chance.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
I don't think anyone does anything easily at the end of PR (other than sit up) but it was definitely a missed opportunity if he had the legs. I doubt he'd have been allowed to get as far as Terpstra did but if Terpstra could hold them off then Wiggo would have been in with a good chance.
ohh cmon...terpstra was a beast that day,the strongest.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
ohh cmon...terpstra was a beast that day,the strongest.

It didn't matter if he was the strongest. He, Boonen or Stybar were going to win. Lefevre is the master at always making numbers count. There was no way Wiggins or anyone else left with any legs was going anywhere in that final without an OPQS rider for company.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
It didn't matter if he was the strongest. He, Boonen or Stybar were going to win. Lefevre is the master at always making numbers count. There was no way Wiggins or anyone else left with any legs was going anywhere in that final without an OPQS rider for company.
yeah,like the week before PR :eek::eek:

Wallace and Gromit said:
Thomas resigned for Sky last summer, so he's either very naïve or accepts the natural order of things and is happy to trouser the large salary that he gets and live off scraps.

I don't mind Wiggins and wouldn't be unhappy to see him pull it off, but I do like Thomas and I keep hoping he'll be given more opportunities.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
King Boonen said:
While Wiggins does seem to struggle with focus at times, when he puts his mind to something he does very well. I'm interested to see how he does this year, it would be very impressive if he did it.

It's time for rain in P-R.

DirtyWorks said:
With teammate(s?) in the group to counter should anyone try to ride up to Nikki.

I don't recall Sir Brad having help or attacking. He chugged along great though.. 10th is good. I certainly did not think that was possible.

With Degenkolb in that final group no one was gonna ride that hard anyway, bring Niki back and he would of crushed the sprint.

Pricey_sky said:
Wiggins winning a wet PR would pretty much be a perfect end to his road career.

Yep, and he's certainly shown he is capable of it. I hope that he gets to the end and he's still in contention and there are no mechanicals or anything along the way for anyone.

He's going to be watched after last year and he's going to have to do it the hard way if he wants to take it. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

King Boonen said:
Yep, and he's certainly shown he is capable of it. I hope that he gets to the end and he's still in contention and there are no mechanicals or anything along the way for anyone.

He's going to be watched after last year and he's going to have to do it the hard way if he wants to take it. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

The hard way for sure. There are very few PR contenders he can beat in a sprint. It's possible though, I mean I wouldn't want to be trying to bring him back if he goes into TT mode.

Zinoviev Letter said:
The hard way for sure. There are very few PR contenders he can beat in a sprint. It's possible though, I mean I wouldn't want to be trying to bring him back if he goes into TT mode.

The only way I can see him winning it is if he goes off on his own and holds it out there. If Sky could make the race hard and shell as many people as possible he'll have a better chance, if someone can go with him, like Boonen and Terpstra in 2012 then even better. Doesn't have to be as long but needs to be long enough as even if Cancellara, Stybar, Boonen etc. have to fight to bring him back I think they'll have the legs over him in a sprint. Agreed that if he gets to the velodrome with pretty much anyone else he's done (maybe beat someone like Vandenbergh?).

The best possible outcome for Sky, we see this happening:

geraint_2971536b.jpg

With Wiggins hitching a ride on the G-Train.

King Boonen said:
The only way I can see him winning it is if he goes off on his own and holds it out there. If Sky could make the race hard and shell as many people as possible he'll have a better chance, if someone can go with him, like Boonen and Terpstra in 2012 then even better. Doesn't have to be as long but needs to be long enough as even if Cancellara, Stybar, Boonen etc. have to fight to bring him back I think they'll have the legs over him in a sprint. Agreed that if he gets to the velodrome with pretty much anyone else he's done (maybe beat someone like Vandenbergh?).

The best possible outcome for Sky, we see this happening:

geraint_2971536b.jpg

With Wiggins hitching a ride on the G-Train.

That would be my plan too, Sky could have a decent team and riders like G, Eisel and Stannard should be still there to help Wiggins towards the business end.

Pricey_sky said:
That would be my plan too, Sky could have a decent team and riders like G, Eisel and Stannard should be still there to help Wiggins towards the business end.

Yeah, they just have to realise that Omega, Saxo, Lotto, Belkin, Giant, Trek and possibly Garmin Cannondale, Astana, Orica etc. are all going to be gunning for the win... It's not the tour where you just have to perform consistently each day. It's a one off race and it'll be difficult to control.

King Boonen said:
Yeah, they just have to realise that Omega, Saxo, Lotto, Belkin, Giant, Trek and possibly Garmin Cannondale, Astana, Orica etc. are all going to be gunning for the win... It's not the tour where you just have to perform consistently each day. It's a one off race and it'll be difficult to control.

Yes, and that's obviously the area they have struggled to adapt to. They have cards to play and could even send guys like G or Stan up the road and let Wiggins follow his rivals.

TRENDING THREADS